GPU + DP + Surround questions

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
I currently have an AMD 7870 + 3x 20" 1680x1050 displays through various adapters. I'm looking at going an Nvidia 970 and possibly getting 3 new displays. Seemed an obvious decision to go completely displayport 1.2, however looking at various cards and googling nvidia with mst (hub or daisy chain) there seems to be some issues that I'm not sure exist anymore.

• 95% of the 970s released have a single displayport
  • Various forums seem to indicate that single to triple DP via hub or daisy chain doesn't support surround gaming, only extended display on nvidia
  • Very few monitors have DP in and out requiring an MST hub ($150-200 extra)
  • Can't seem to find info on whether the Gigabyte 970 with 3 full DP ports would have those same issues (internal hub?)
  • Many issues with various MST hubs on Nvidia cards working fine with AMD cards

Seems to be a real lack of information around and a distinct lack of compatibility between Nvidia Surround and DP in several forms, even with the 780 and other recent GPUs. The 970 probably too new and the install base for triple DP monitors too little to glean any info on the net.

Are we really still not at a stage where DP is actually useful for gaming?

If you can find a 970 with 3 DP outputs it should do what you want. If you can't you might as well get a 980 considering the cost of a hub.

I'm trying to find a little more reassurance than "should" :)

The reference 970s have 3x DP out but virtually no one builds them and can't find any testing on the triple DP models. If there's some indication of the 980 with 3 DP working in surround gaming mode I can't find it.

Maybe I should just get a Dell U2913WN 21:9 monitor. Less bullshit with eyefinity/surround and keep 1 or 2 of my other monitors for side panels when multi-tasking.

Or even better, the LG 34" 21:9, though the warranty isn't very good on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up buying the MSI gaming 970 and I'm getting an LG 34UM65 instead of going triple screen. Too many frustrations.

Fired up the 970 last night, hot damn it's fast. Playing Diablo 3 in DSR mode and the fans weren't even spinning lol. Star citizen was so smooth maxed out in the race city.

That's awesome!

Ima wait for the next round of die shrunk GPUs before ditching the 670. Right now it's still doing very well even with only 2GB.

can't find any testing on the triple DP models. If there's some indication of the 980 with 3 DP working in surround gaming mode I can't find it.

Arslan ( Dill E Nadan)

It may need a Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub (pure speculation on my part)
ps: did you consider a qhd ultrawide 3440x1440 (21:9)

Last edited:
Back