GPGPU application list

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Chabi, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Chabi

Newcomer

It would be nice if Photoshop Lightroom could be the gpu acceleration...

2. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Musemage still rules as the first (and only) 100% GPU accelerated image editor. :)

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Might want to try it with encryption as well.

4. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Would I need to set a password or is it enough to switch to, say AES256?

edit: Tried both on a 2.8 GByte archive - no difference with OpenCL enabled and disabled.

more edit:
    Article online about it. On the upside, you can save about 30 percent compression time even on a entry-level card compared to an overclocked ci7@4,5 GHz. Depending on your viewpoint an up or down: the compression acceleration consistent betwen a 5770 and 7970, a 6450 looses only 9 seconds or 5%, probably because of it's smaller memory (the other cards allocate 700...800ish MiB). Also, the compressed archive's size is larger than with CPU-compression only, so probably there's another algorithm at work, it also varies slightly between different cards (even of the same generation: 7970 vs 7870 for example). PCI Express 3.0 does not provide a measurable advantage. CPU-utilization is quite a bit higher with OpenCL path than with CPU-path.

As to why no Nvidia: AMD (rightfully) says it's a partner's product. The partner (Winzip) says (officially), they'll probably include other OpenCL platforms with Wizip 17.0. Technically, there a re only very few extensions, that AMD has that Nvidia doesn't: cl_khr_3d_image_writes; cl_ext_atomic_counters_32; cl_amd_vec3; cl_amd_printf; cl_amd_mediaops; cl_amd_popcnt.

More: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,879762/Winzip-165-mit-OpenCL-Beschleunigung/Grafikkarte/Test/

#104 CarstenS, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  5. EduardoS

Newcomer

I downloaded and tested WinZip 16.5.

A want to congratulate the developers because it is an impressive product! Likely the best file compression manager in the market, it is not just faster with OpenCL, the CPU compression is the fastest on the market, the OpenCL speed up is real (from 25 to 20 seconds in my PC, Phenom II X4 955 and Radeon HD5770) and on top the fastest (z-zip for comparison took 1:05)! File size doesn't differ much, no cheatting here and .zipx really get the smallest size.

But I won't buy it, sorry Corel, the product is impressive but managing zip files aren't all that important to care about buying a product for it, and if typeing the credit card number is too much effort what to say about the $29 being charged? If it could create more files like .iso, and act as virtual drive like Daemon Tools and the few extra things I need a separate utility for, as it is, it is not so important.

Anyway, congratulations for the impressive work!

6. Davros

Legend

I tried winzip but I uninstalled it I just didnt need the features
    plus if I extracted test.zip in c:\temp the files would end up in c:\temp\test with windows zip handling
    with winzip they would end up in c:\temp and i hated that (sure you could manually tell it to extract to test)

7. Chabi

Newcomer

8. Davros

Legend

9. Chabi

Newcomer

10. Chabi

Newcomer

HandBrake 5229 Nightly Build (OpenCL)

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/OpenCL/

11. Chabi

Newcomer