GPCBenchmark - A OpenCL General Purpose Computing benchmark

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Arnold Beckenbauer, Apr 30, 2010.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

That's precisely what I meant. No DP for example, crash in INT, but at least a score in Image Processing, which (the latter) wasn't the case with HD 5870 and older drivers.

edit: To be more precise: The combination of the rather oldish and not recently updated benchmark and AMDs (and partly Nvidias also) OpenCL drivers does not give a good indication of the performance one should be expecting from Cayman.

#101 CarstenS, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

The histogram test shows the local atomics version running much faster than the global atomics on Fermi. I thought we had concluded that local atomics were still making a round trip through L2 and therefore shouldnt be any faster?

3. pcchen

Moderator Veteran

Are you sure about this? Local atomics is in shared memory, so by definition it's in L1 cache, not L2 cache. Remember that local atomics only work within a block, so it shouldn't have to touch L2 cache.

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

No I'm not sure as I haven't done the test myself but B3D's analysis found local and global atomics to be the same speed (actually locals were slower). Haven't seen any other evidence to dispute this besides the GPCBenchmark test.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/55/14

5. pcchen

Moderator Veteran

Well, I don't know but my previous experiments on histogram also shows local atomics is faster than global atomics (local atomics version can do histogram at around 10GB/s on my GTX 460), but it's in CUDA. Of course, this still can't be completely ruled out as I didn't do any "maximum speed" test on atomics.

6. Man from Atlantis

Regular

i wonder GCN numbers :)

7. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Lemme just quick-quote myself:
    This is also true for Tahiti. Some of the performance numbers in OpenCL Bench make sense, others just don't. Plus, the results vary wildly in some subtests from run to run.

8. Man from Atlantis

Regular

Thanks i wont ask for Kepler then :smile: