GoW 'BIG' Annoucement coming up, Viral marketing in progress

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
Mark Rein posted on the GoW forums that a 'BIG' announcement is coming up next week. He also hinted that it was not about the release date.

Now many Xbox Live! users are reportedly getting strange messages from what looks like the characters from GoW.

Any guesses on what it could be?

Gears of War: The Movie? :p I originally thought it would be a Vista announcement, but that would steal the thunder from the 360. Maybe details on a limited edition/special edition?

Last edited by a moderator:
serenity said:
Master Chief is an unlockable character?
Full multiplayer unveiling?
Gears is really a DDR/WoW hybrid?

Whatever it is, I just hope there's a big 720p video of the game to accompany it.

Inane_Dork said:
Master Chief is an unlockable character?

Based on how Nintendo key franchises helped 3rd party games (e.g. Link in SC2) having MC as an unlockable character after you beat the game & in MP would be a HUGE boost to an already big game. Basically all those Halo fans dieing for Halo 3 could get a little Halo fix.

They got MC into DoA4, allowing him as an unlockable (or DLC) for Gears of War would be one of those little 'touches' that could add a small boost to sales and cause good buzz.

Powderkeg said:
Demo coming to the XBL Marketplace next Friday.

Probably right but i would be disappointed if this is it. I like my "BIG" announcements to be a bit more durable then a demo release date...

Master Chief unlockable would be a stroke of genius though, i hadnt considered that at all and I think Acert is right on the mark.

expletive said:
Probably right but i would be disappointed if this is it. I like my "BIG" announcements to be a bit more durable then a demo release date...
I can't ay I remember any big announcement that was ever worth getting announced. I think that announcement would be mammoth compared to some 'big' announcements!

expletive said:

Master Chief unlockable would be a stroke of genius though, i hadnt considered that at all and I think Acert is right on the mark.

...a dude in a spacesuit is bigger than a playable demo of the most anticipated game of the year (almost the last two years, but not for me, i hate console shooters >_<)!? a dude is a spacesuit!?!?!?!?!?

sorry, i'll just never get the fascination with Master Chief. He's basically the flattest, least interesting protagonist ever (akin to SAMUS but without the hair). if only he were Master CHEF, and GoW turned out to be Yakiniku Battle V, now that would be something! hell, i'd settle for Cow: LAUNCHED! :p

poopypoo said:
...a dude in a spacesuit is biggewr than a playable demo of the most anticipated game of the year (almost the last two years, but not for me, i hate console shooters >_<)!? a dude is a spacesuit!?!?!?!?!?

sorry, i'll just never get the fascination with Master Chief. He's basically the flattest, least interesting proagonist ever. if only he were Master Chef, and GoW turned out to be Yakiniku Battle V, now that would be something! hell, i'd settle for Cow: LAUNCHED! :p

Sorry my fault for not being clear, i wouldnt be happy with the MasterCheif being unlockable as the big announcement either. But i do think it would cool.

Shifty Geezer said:
I can't ay I remember any big announcement that was ever worth getting announced. I think that announcement would be mammoth compared to some 'big' announcements!

Too true!

Shifty Geezer said:

I can think of one big announcement that was worth the hype (At the time. Hindsight may give you a different picture.)

MS's buyout of Rare.

poopypoo said:
...a dude in a spacesuit is bigger than a playable demo of the most anticipated game of the year (almost the last two years, but not for me, i hate console shooters >_<)!? a dude is a spacesuit!?!?!?!?!?

sorry, i'll just never get the fascination with Master Chief. He's basically the flattest, least interesting protagonist ever (akin to SAMUS but without the hair). if only he were Master CHEF, and GoW turned out to be Yakiniku Battle V, now that would be something! hell, i'd settle for Cow: LAUNCHED! :p

To be blunt: Who cares what you think or what I think? A lot of lead characters are cliché, boring, worn, or just plain stupid. There is absolutely no accounting for taste! Whether we understand why fat fashion (gender?) challenged plumbers are stars doesn't really matter as long as we recognize that they indeed are stars and that people (for whatever crazy reasons) love them.

What matters is how the general public would respond. MC is very popular, especially among the Gears of War targetted demographics (FPS fans, Xbox owners, space suite style world, aliens, etc) and adding him would be akin to adding Link to SC2. Looking at the sales, Link in SC2 made the little GCN sell a boatload of copies. Why? Because it got fans interested -- in particular fans who were craving a grittier Link.

My guess is Xbox 360 fans are going through Halo withdrawls. All they have gotten so far was a trailer, a Spartan in DoA4, and slightly buggy backwards compatibility. They are probably in dire need of tossing them a bone.

Putting MC (or a Spartan) into GoW makes perfect sense as a "bonus". Yeah, he may be boring and cliché, but he is the object of devout devotion of some 7M fans.

Acert93 said:
Yeah, he may be boring and cliché, but he is the object of devout devotion of some 7M fans.

Make that 6,999,999 fans. I own both Halos, but I'm not a Master Chief fan, I just like FPS's.

;)

Here are my guesses from most likely to least..

1. Demo coming very soon within next week or two
2. Fully featured clan system for multiplayer
3. Master Chief unlockable character in multiplayer
4. Multiplayer wont be using p2p system, instead Epic will provide dedicated servers (altough highly unlikely considering the most players gears might have on Live is 16 people and GRAW does just fine for the most part and gears will no doubt have better net code)
5. 60 FPS

The REAL big news is that Epic has picked up the Deer Hunter license, and is planning on making it into an extended series, displacing all other projects.

serenity said:
Mark Rein posted on the GoW forums that a 'BIG' announcement is coming up next week. He also hinted that it was not about the release date.

Now many Xbox Live! users are reportedly getting strange messages from what looks like the characters from GoW.

Seeing the size and bigness of the announcement, it needs to be something earth-shattering indeed. Like Gabe Newell. Ok, that was mean ;)

And besides, we all know which one is going to be the biggest console this year, right? Say hello to Mr 5kg, 8.7 litres (PSU included). Doesn't get any bigger.

cthellis42 said:
The REAL big news is that Epic has picked up the Deer Hunter license, and is planning on making it into an extended series, displacing all other projects.

HAhahaha sounds GREAT! ;D

You guys are of course welcome to have a strange fetish for Master Dude in his shiny suit, stroking his big, long, shiny... gun... I'll be off dreaming of a new Cate Archer sequel -- I just can't understand even passing interest in Halo. I played it a few times on the PC, it masde for a some ok laughs at one LAN party but the maps were pretty limited. XD I honestly pity dedicated consolers, whose best FPS to this day remains... Turok. ^_~ OK, now I'm just being mean. Carry on! We must get to the bottom of Mark Rein's bottom ASAP! After all, he is... important... I guess... wait, no, he's just another bullshitting, garbage talking head isn't he? =D Grrr, I'm being awful. I'll let it go. I'm just not a fan. Not a fan at all. Good luck, kids! :eek:

poopypoo said:
I honestly pity dedicated consolers, whose best FPS to this day remains... Turok. ^_~ OK, now I'm just being mean.

Oh come on, Turok wasn't even the best FPS on its platform, let alone its generation. And no sane person would say it is the best FPS on consoles :p GoldenEye easily was better than Turok--not to mention GoldenEye was better than a slew of contemperous PC shooters as well. And even this last go around PC gamers missed out on the very well executed TimeSplitters. This gen is shaping up well with Condemned hitting the 360 first and Gears of War being exclusive. And it is a sad commentary in regards to PC FPS when a console game like Halo has more robust and flexible MP options than many dedicated MP FPS on the PC.

I personally play both and prefer KB/MS, but consoles have had a fair share of good FPS. You may not like 'em (of course there are all the PC ports like HL2, Doom 3, etc) but oddly some people actually prefer gamepads... and spending thousands less.

Anyhow, I would not classify myself as a MC fan seeing as I don't even have an Xbox, but there is no denying how popular he is and the relative impact of putting flagship franchises on new games to help spurn on greater sales. And as cliché as MC is, I kind of prefer the worn out space marine in green (Doom!) over the style Epic has chosen for Gears of War. But that is just my opinion. I quite like the bad guys though!

I'm a big fan of the MC after reading the books. The games don't flesh out the character as much. I don't know about everyone else.

And yes, I would like a NOLF3 as well.

Back