Got a letter from isp...

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
For dling 2 episodes of house via torrent.
The question I have is if NBC is concerned that they're show is being pirated, why haven't gotten a letter from the mpaa or the riaa?
Luck of the draw?
All I had to do was say I removed the material :rolleyes:

radeonic2 said:
The question I have is if NBC is concerned that they're show is being pirated, why haven't gotten a letter from the mpaa or the riaa?
Luck of the draw?
Where are you at and who is your ISP?!? :oops:

I've never heard word one from mine and I figure they'd be on my door with lawyers if they actually kept track of such things. :???:

digitalwanderer said:
Where are you at and who is your ISP?!? :oops:

I've never heard word one from mine and I figure they'd be on my door with lawyers if they actually kept track of such things. :???:
Cox.
As I said it's not serious.
It's all on good faith that i've removed the files.
the letter from nbc (that was attached to the letter my isp sent) has a link to a webpage where you say you've removed it and that you're telling the truth.
To be sure I replied to my isp saying I did.
It's NBC who does the tracking and finds out that my isp is cox and rats me out.
Apparently the MPAA is focusing on making it hard to pirate movies while the broadcast companies actively monitor torrents.
Guess they gotta make sure I'm watching the commcials for the products I'm not buying.

radeonic2 said:

Good gawd... And yet they used to have 3 usenet servers (west/central/east) with 7 day retention of the binary groups and wouldn't give two licks if you pulled down 160 Gig in under a week. Though in their defence, Cox is just relaying the request. I don't see why the various places, MPAA/RIAA go after P2P when all the initial/genuine sharing is still being achieved via Usenet. Maybe they figure they can't take on the knowledgable users and thus go after the medium for the average user.

BRiT said:
Good gawd... And yet they used to have 3 usenet servers (west/central/east) with 7 day retention of the binary groups and wouldn't give two licks if you pulled down 160 Gig in under a week. Though in their defence, Cox is just relaying the request. I don't see why the various places, MPAA/RIAA go after P2P when all the initial/genuine sharing is still being achieved via Usenet. Maybe they figure they can't take on the knowledgable users and thus go after the medium for the average user.
When they switched to just two servers, which they claim they did for retention reasons, usenet went to shit.
Mostly incompletes.
It's been like this for months.
I did get a letter once for downloading more than 30GB per month but I just took it easy for a while and got right back to around 50-80GB a month.
Looks like Ill be usin irc...

radeonic2 said:
Luck of the draw?

Are you living in the US?

mito said:
Are you living in the US?
Si señor mito ;)
edit- just got another.
got me for 3.
I'm not that worried since I filled out their web forms saying I removed material.
Here's the tracking company fyi http://www.baytsp.com/index.html

http://www.baytsp.com/downloads2/Bay_Notice_FAQ.pdf
^^^ for info about if you get a notice.
copy and paste of letter with a bit of editing where noted.
article on how they do it: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11221
Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that NBC Universal and/or its subsidiary and affiliated companies (collectively, NBC Universal) are the owners of exclusive rights protected under copyright law and other intellectual property rights in many motion pictures and television programs, including the title(s) listed below (the NBC Universal Properties). NBC Universal diligently enforces its rights in its motion pictures.

It has come to our attention that Cox Communications Inc. is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of the NBC Universal Property or Properties listed below, or portion(s) thereof, is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by Cox Communications Inc. or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from Cox Communications Inc..

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under Section 106 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Depending upon the type of service Cox Communications Inc. is providing to this IP address, it may have legal and/or equitable liability if it does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the motion picture(s) listed below, or if it fails to implement a policy that provides for termination of subscribers who are repeat infringers (see 17 U.S.C. 512).

Despite the above, NBC Universal believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the NBC Universal Property or Properties in the manner described herein is not authorized by NBC Universal, its agent or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of NBC Universal with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of NBC Universal's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have takento resolve this matter, making sure to reference the Notice ID number above in your response.

*email address*

If you do not wish to reply by email, please use our Web Interface by
clicking on the following link:
*link*

Note: If your email program has inserted line breaks into either the
email or web links above, you can copy and paste the entire link in to
you email program, or favorite web browser, respectively.

Very truly yours,

Aaron Markham

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
When they switched to just two servers, which they claim they did for retention reasons, usenet went to shit.
Mostly incompletes.
It's been like this for months.
I did get a letter once for downloading more than 30GB per month but I just took it easy for a while and got right back to around 50-80GB a month.
Looks like Ill be usin irc...

Yeah, about a month after they did that was when I tried out one of the pay-for-services and ended up being pretty happy with Usenet Server. It was a nice feature Cox offered, but now they shouldn't even be able to list it as a check-box item. I'm a bit surprised they even fired off a letter to you for that low of usage. Must be something with each regional office operating differently.

BRiT said:
Yeah, about a month after they did that was when I tried out one of the pay-for-services and ended up being pretty happy with Usenet Server. It was a nice feature Cox offered, but now they shouldn't even be able to list it as a check-box item. I'm a bit surprised they even fired off a letter to you for that low of usage. Must be something with each regional office operating differently.
ya.. I used to like cox for their usenet services, while SBC had shitty usenet.
my brother in lsaw uses easynews I think..

radeonic2 said:
well my isp knows it's me so what are you talking about?
No, they don't know it's you. They only know it was your computer, who actually sat in front of it, well, that they can't possibly know. Much less tell it was you personally who did it.

Guden Oden said:
No, they don't know it's you. They only know it was your computer, who actually sat in front of it, well, that they can't possibly know. Much less tell it was you personally who did it.
Ok.. I get it.
and how would that work to my advantage?
Claim someone was here?
claim someone hacked my wifi?
sugarcoat.. its from torrents.. I was dling and I seed at a 1:1 ratio so for a 350MB episode at 40KB/s upload it takes a while ;)

Hey, just tell them come and take it from your cold dead hands.

triplemini2.jpg

radeonic2 said:
Luck of the draw?

On a serious note. Why don't you contact your ISP and ask them why they are spying on you Ask them what other transmissions of yours they are monitoring? Ask if they also read your e-mail and monitor your posts in forums? See what they say when you go down the your-invading-my-privacy path.

rwolf said:
Hey, just tell them come and take it from your cold dead hands.
You know, that's probably not all that good of an idea without having the weapon to back that up....but with it, hell, that's just good ol' fashioned fun! (in a stormed by the military sort of way)

rwolf said:
On a serious note. Why don't you contact your ISP and ask them why they are spying on you Ask them what other transmissions of yours they are monitoring? Ask if they also read your e-mail and monitor your posts in forums? See what they say when you go down the your-invading-my-privacy path.

It's not the ISP, it's BayTSP who are a company that simply track stuff for the media cartels. BayTSP simply joins a torrent with a modified client and logs every other IP. The IPs are traced, and a standard letter sent to the ISP who then sends it on to the user.

DIRTY PIRAT.. ;)

you should have known to avoid p2p programs

use other means IF you want to Pirate

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
It's not the ISP, it's BayTSP who are a company that simply track stuff for the media cartels. BayTSP simply joins a torrent with a modified client and logs every other IP. The IPs are traced, and a standard letter sent to the ISP who then sends it on to the user.
qft
I can pirate things on BT fine, just not tv-shows (or use a private tracker, in which case they'd have to shut the whole thing down).
For the mpaa they're after the first seeds...
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=638

Back