Google's Ringback Advertisting

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15783

The updated patent application was filed last year on what Google calls ringback advertising. Ringback advertising is a form of audio advertising that plays an ad while the phone rings rather than the ringing we are all familiar with at this time.

My god, if they actually implement this, I will NEVER ever buy a google android enabled phone.

If I have to listen to adverts every single time I call another person I'd just blow a gasket. If it is limited to just Google Voice, however, at least then it'd be easier to just not use it...

However, what's even more annoying is that Google had to amend the original application because it was too similar to another application. Meaning someone else has this same idea. Grrrr. Whoever, enables that on their device I'll also be more than happy to blacklist.

I don't mind adverts in general, hell I deliberately don't use ad-blockers so I an support the websites I like, and to help them stay on the web...

However, if something like this goes so far as to be played everytime I try to call a friend, family member, 911, etc... :devilish:

[edit] ok the Dailytech article appears to be a bit off as the original linked article says it is most likely just for Google Voice, so most of my rant is probably unjustified. Still if this ever does make it to cell phones. :devilish:

Regards,
SB

The initial intent of google when they were talking about releasing a phone was to eliminate phone contracts. Every call, message and data would be paid for with advertising. Of course, it was optional and not a bad idea for people that can't afford expensive phone plans.

You'd make a call and after it was over, a quick ad would play on your phone. Or maybe there would be banner ads on the phone during the call. I don't remember exactly.

Maybe they're trying to bring it back. I have mixed feelings. If we end up with the same expensive plans, and the ads on top, then it fucking sucks. If the ads really do subsidize the plans, and we could get smartphones for cheap, then I'll feel better about it.

Don't worry, it is just some gimmick they are trying to promote. After we've had all kinds of ringtones, the next thing they want to establish on the market is personalizing your ringback tone. Heard it's quite big in Asia. Companies are using this to place some advertizing or a company jingle, naturally. But if you want, you can just choose a nice melody or the standard beep.;)

I remember clearly we had that 11 years ago in Denmark, so you actually didn't pay for your phone call, as long as it were under 10 minutes or so.

It were all advertising financed and free.

Back