Google pulling out of china?

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Sxotty, Jan 13, 2010.

1. obonicus

Veteran

Yeah, that's what I've seen as well. Ethics aren't at the heart of the issue, but they're a good focus for PR.

2. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades...and pulling out, but then it counts in kinda a bad way ;)

3. rpg.314

Veteran

I think Google has detected/fears that the hackers were after it's IP. After all, what does Dow, Adobe, Symantec and MS have to do with chinese human rights activists?

Truth be told, in an information economy, Google's search IP is as valuable as nukes at the start of cold war. Anybody who has it immediately has a huge strategic advantage and I am prepared to bet that PRC is willing to do anything to lay their hands on it.

As for ethics, no for-profit megacorp gives a shit about privacy, human rights, free speech, the works.....

4. Sxotty

Veteran

Yeah China is pretty free with the stealing IP thing. I don't know if that is really the reason as they can still try to steal it whether in China or not. They steal stuff from american corporations in america with persons who travel here. Thus I don't think it explains it either.

5. rpg.314

Veteran

Sure, China can still try to steal whatever it wants. But if China is going after Google's IP, why bother pampering PRC? By pulling out of China completely, now they no longer have to pretend to have velvet gloves on and can aggressively filter out attacks from China.

6. obonicus

Veteran

Looks like the game of chicken continues.