Good photograph forum?

pascal

Veteran
Hi

Just received my Canon Rebel XTi and decided to learn more about photograph.
Any good photograph forum out there you could recomend?

Personally, I'd recommend starting off by getting a good basic book that helps you with composition. Knowing what to clip and what not to clip is really the most important stuff for photography, IMO. Also getting to understand the different qualities of light, etc. So start off with some of the photography classics. It doesn't even need to be specifically about digital photography.

Apart from that I'd recommend visiting to those two sites here for getting acquainted with some techniques:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

LL has a pretty good forum, BTW.

And the final tip look at as much pictures you can get hold of. Try to get a feel how the pictures are composed, when they were taken, what feelings does it try to portray, etc. Photo sharing communities like Flickr, etc. FTW. Browse the different user groups.

Yeah and practise, know the limitations of your equipment (lenses, with tripod and without tripod) and if you haven't done so buy a tripod. It's a cheap investment, but it really helps, especially with landscapes.

EDIT: I am novice myself, bought my Canon Rebel XTi in May. That's how I started out basically.

I used to quite like photosig. It is quite good if you want people to critique your photos. Comments tend to be quite helpful, although I sometimes felt that sometimes people were making a comment for the sake of making a comment (you get a score based on how much you comment). Be prepared to feel inadequate, there are some fantastic photos on there.

For something a bit less formal try flickr. There are groups for practially any type of photography you could name.

What type of photography are you into? My preference is for wildlife, unfortunatly much of the wildlife I shoot is behind bars.

If you do join flickr feel free to add me as a contact
http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain_chickenpants/

[edit] Some additional info, hints.
I assume you got the standard Kit lens? If so play around with it for a bit and try and figure out what kind of focal range you need, don't immediatley spend money on a big zoom lens if you don't actually have a need for one. When you do start buying lenses try and buy the best that you can afford. A good lens will last through several camera bodies and are more important for good images than a higher resolution sensor.

Where possible try and borrow a lens that you are considering buying so you can see how they feel and what the image quality is like.

I tend to shoot in RAW mode as it allows much flexibitilty when it comes to processing your image, images that look under/over exposed may be recoverable if you were shooting in raw.

CC

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I am novice myself, bought my Canon Rebel XTi in May. That's how I started out basically.
I am a novice too :) I have two smaller DC cameras (Canon S400 and Sony Cybershot W50) and a standard Pentax Reflex for almost 20 years, but I am only used to point-and-click type of photos, not much technique and equipment and not much post-processing work. Now I decided to learn more in-depth and go beyond the intuitive. Looks like this camera is a good start.

This hobby will be part of the change in my family lifestyle. We will try to enjoy more life.

What type of photography are you into? My preference is for wildlife, unfortunatly much of the wildlife I shoot is behind bars.
I usually take basic photos of people and landscape. Sometimes when travelling whatever get our atention.

Thanks a lot both of you for the great links and advices :D

edited: great photos CC ;)

I am a novice too :) I have two smaller DC cameras (Canon S400 and Sony Cybershot W50) and a standard Pentax Reflex for almost 20 years, but I am only used to point-and-click type of photos, not much technique and equipment and not much post-processing work. Now I decided to learn more in-depth and go beyond the intuitive. Looks like this camera is a good start.

Hehe, seems like we got much in common then. I had a S400 as well. Though it got stolen when my brother got robbed in a former soviet republic. :p

I assume you got the standard Kit lens? If so play around with it for a bit and try and figure out what kind of focal range you need, don't immediatley spend money on a big zoom lens if you don't actually have a need for one. When you do start buying lenses try and buy the best that you can afford. A good lens will last through several camera bodies and are more important for good images than a higher resolution sensor.

Just to add a bit: That lenses are usually limited to the camera maker. So once you invest a substantial amount in Canon lenses, you're committing yourself to them.

I tend to shoot in RAW mode as it allows much flexibitilty when it comes to processing your image, images that look under/over exposed may be recoverable if you were shooting in raw.

Seconded, RAW FTW. Much more flexible. Just get yourself a decent memory chip to have enough storage for long trips (if you're not taking a notebook with you, anyway).

Sounds like the kit lens will cover you quite nicely then.
I would like to test the 70-300mm and see how it works :D

Hehe, seems like we got much in common then. I had a S400 as well. Though it got stolen when my brother got robbed in a former soviet republic. :p
I have it since my younger daughter was a few months old. Lots of photos :D

Just to add a bit: That lenses are usually limited to the camera maker. So once you invest a substantial amount in Canon lenses, you're committing yourself to them.
Initially we were in doubt about what camera (Sony A100, Nikon D40 and Canon 400D) and after research we decided for the Rebel because of cheaper autofocus lens (compared to the D40) and better night photos (compared to the A100).

Seconded, RAW FTW. Much more flexible. Just get yourself a decent memory chip to have enough storage for long trips (if you're not taking a notebook with you, anyway).
Initially we got a cheap PQI 120x 2GB CF. Is it good?

Back