Good gaming podcasts?

PARANOiA

Veteran
It's getting harder and harder to keep up with the goings-on of the gaming world. Now's the time when keeping an ear close to the ground is more useful than ever, given the upcoming launch of two new systems.

Can anyone recommend some good gaming podcasts that covers both home systems and the portables?

Cheers

I subscribe to 1UP Yours, EGM Live, and The Penny Arcade Podcast.

Nice thing about 1UP Yours and EGM Live is their editors have a lot of first hand experiences with the latest games/hardware and good connections to industry. So often a lot of the stuff they say is actually new and not just regurgitated content from other sites/magazines. Also they have managed to solve the problem plaguing most other gaming podcasts of just sounding like a bunch of nerds.

The Penny Arcade Podcast is awesome but is pretty infrequent recently.

I'm a Xbox gamer so mine are more geared to that system, but you still might find them useful:

1Up Yours - audio - I always look forward to this one. Very funny and always over the top and full of swearing. ;) Covers all systems(PS2, PS3, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, and PSP)

OXM - audio - I'm a subscriber to the mag and disc. I mostly like their interviews, but love to play the 2 contests. Have yet to win. :(

K Rock XP of SquadXP.com - audio - I love this one. Wasn't sure about it at first. From a few young guys in Miami. Usually strays from gaming and features a lot about things going on their lives which predominate their "relationship" segments. ;) Always over an hour long.

Major Nelson - audio - The grand-daddy of Xbox podcasts. Not too bad, but at times can be a little dry. Usually has great interviews and guests.

Extremetech.com - audio - Very short, but it's nice to hear things going on in the PC space like Vista, CPUs, GPUS, etc. Mainly got this since I used to "know" Loyd Case and visited with him during shows like E3 etc. Really nice guy.

I'm also subscribed to OXM and 1Up Video Podcasts, but considering they're so huge to download and transport I don't really get into them. I really need a 1gig flash drive if I'm to regulary get into those.

Anyway, I subscribe to all my podcasts via iTunes and copy them to my Creative MuVo TX FM 256MB player and either play them while working or take them home and play them through XBMC MC360 on my modded Xbox.

ineffecient, thanks for the suggestions. I might check out EGM Live, though I've never read their magazine. I'm not really into Penny Arcade(not sure why, guess I don't have the time), but might if I like the podcast.

Tommy McClain

Thank goodness for the forum's "suggest existing threads" feature. I will be checking out some of the suggestions in this thread and the other one. I'm especially interested to listen to the more Euro-centric ones to get more of a perspective from across the pond.

As for my own addition the new Game Sages podcast on IGN looks ("sounds" I guess :p) really promising and had a great first episode. If they can bring the same caliber of lineup every episode it will be huge, IMO.

1up yours, Gametheory, GFW radio and the Fullmoon Show ( Insomniac podcast ) are all excellent and worth listening to.

I have to say, now that I'm in a regular podcast rhythm, GFW Radio is an amazingly entertaining podcast. It's not really PC gaming specific, rather it's just a bunch of PC-oriented guys talking for a few hours about the industry. Highly entertaining, with laugh out loud moments every week, it's genuinely the highlight of my working week (since that's where I listen to it!)

Oh, and they do drop some good book and movie names too, which has hooked me onto a few great non-gaming pieces of entertainment. Try it out - I'd be surprised if you were disappointed.

Gaming Theory is pretty good, very literate and articulate compared to the 1Up or GAmespot crews.

But they're talking mostly about industry, not about specific games. They don't give quasi reviews or anything like that.

Hmm precluding the possibility of quantum erasure, I presume my post history marks me as an entity of dubious reckoning. Hopefully a few words will legitimize my previous suggestion. So, personally for all their testosterone I find the videogamejocks podcast a bit of a hoot.

Full Moon Show (Insomniac)
IGN Podcast Beyond
Playstation Nation
Team Fremont Live
Player One
Game Theory

There are a few others I listen to on occasion but not regularly.

Gonna try some more of these tomorrow. I gave Gametheory a listen today and I am going to add that to the roster. I already listen to all the 1UP podcasts save Retronauts and Legendary Thread, 1UP Yours and GFW Radio being my favorites. I also listen to Three Red Lights from IGN and will probably start listening to Game Sages, as well, with Game Scoop getting a listen tomorrow. I also like the XBOX 360 fancast from XB3F. Basically I'm listening to these at my desk at work so I really can't get enough of them since I need to fill several hours each work day. Also any non-gaming podcast recommendations?

Gaming-wise, I mainly listen to CAGcast, CAG Foreplay, and Game Theory. I used to listen to more (PA, 1UP, IGN, etc.), but after a while you keep getting a lot of the same information over and over again, so I spread my podcast listening to other interests instead of ganging them all up around gaming. I listen to individual ones that catch my eye, of course... No need to be exclusionary.

Crash FM, of course, if you love Burnout and lots of fun, direct chit-chatting by developers. ^_^

Non-gaming podcasts eternally on my roster:
SModcast (Kevin Smith, Scott Mosier, and the rest of the View Askewniverse stuff. So amazing.)
NPR's "Car Talk" and "Wait, wait, don't tell me"
The Talk Show (Driven mainly by John Gruber of "Daring Fireball"--rarely updated right now.)
TEDTalks
Uncle Jay Explains the News (video cast. Hilarious. ;) )
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
History According to Bob
GeeksOn

Benheck has one, if you enjoy his stuff. ^_^
Same with MAKE

Back