GOG - Cheap, Classic PC games without DRM

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Richard, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ban25

Veteran

I just completed the story on Freelancer again. I think I may take advantage of this GOG deal to pick up another copy of FS2 and the original (which I seem to have lost).

2. Yemeth

Newcomer

I bought my first games over GOG this weekend and must say I am very impressed! I especially like the no nonsense approach, everything is streamlined and works great...

I had an 404 error after I signed up, wrote an message to them and got an fast reply, really great!

Now they started to publish great adventures like Simon the Sorcerer, damn :) . I really hope that their business model will succeed.

Cheers...

3. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

I'm still waiting for the classic Lucas Arts games, especially the adventure games like Grim Fandango and the games from the X-Wing series.

I'd also love to see Interstate '76 on there, man that game had character.

4. 2008 IQ is unacceptable

Banned

If you finished the dos or super nes version, re-visit the 32X version.

It has an extra world and better looking backgrounds and colors except the 1st world in which everything was the same iirc.

5. 2008 IQ is unacceptable

Banned

y'know what would be fucking cool as shit? if they got indy infernal working on vista 64.

6. Yemeth

Newcomer

As there was no update in the last few months on this thread, how do you comment on the current games catalogue (BTW, you can vote for your wanted game on http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/ )?

Too bad they did not release any of the most wanted games :( .

I bought several more games and am still amazed by the no nonsense website and approach.

Do think their business model will be such an success that there will be non-DRM competitors?

Cheers,

Mijo

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Damn, just checked and still no Interstate 76, the best driving game in the history of computer gaming. /cry.

Regards,
    SB

8. Davros

Legend

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

GoG should fix up Outcast and start selling it. The game was a real classic, it did in software ten years ago what games today have just started to do in hardware...

I have the original sitting on a shelf here, but it requires too much patching and tinkering to get working on modern systems from what I hear. Seems it doesn't like today's OSes very much and runs erratically on very fast CPUs, which is a shame - I'd love to see Outcast at high framerates as opposed to the juddering experience from back in the day.

10. Kyyla

Veteran

Holy shit Outcast yes! Instabuy here. That game was amazing.

11. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

. . . waiting for World War 2 Fighters . . . :)

12. Lefungus

Regular Newcomer

+1 for Outcast

It may even run above 400x300 res on todays computers :D
    (512x384 was too much for my puny p2 350)

On wikipedia, they state the game wasn't exactly using voxels.
    How did they get such advanced effects before anyone else ?
    (shadows, depth of field, transparent waves...)

13. Davros

Legend

if outcast does run bad on fast cpu's (last time i played was on xp and a 1.2 tbird)
    then maybe 1900x1200 would slow it down (if only it could do that)

@nutball you should try Il-2

14. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

I tried it first time round, it was slightly too far to the hard-core for my tastes. WW2F was, for my personal tastes, the right balance of realism with fun and great graphics for the time. Also loved playing the Mustang, can't beat the sound of the Merlin engine on big speakers :)

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oooh, very cool, does it work on Vista? Nm, damn, note mention "Vista testing." Not sure if that means it may or may not work...

Damn, no Dungeon Keeper I/II. If they had that I'd be tempted to join. Oooh they do have Aces of the Pacific though... Some nice old games there.

Regards,
    SB

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The dungeon keepers were rather buggy. I often encountered AI bugs with monsters that would become grumpy and go on a rampage through my dungeon regardless how much food/gold they got (usually ended with me slapping the shit out of them until they died lol), 1000 vampires stuck at the bottom of the temple pool, etc...

Of course, the games were fundamentally flawed where you had monsters that rather ate and lazed about than make war on the holier-than-thou goody twoshoes surface dwellers... :p

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Heh, my dungeon dwellers always behaved. :) But then I kept a strict eye on them, punished bad behavior, kept them away from their natural rivals, seperated lairs, made food easily accessible, etc...

So no rampages here, and they did a great job defending my dungeons. :) Although pathing was sometimes less than optimal. And sometimes they just would not stay away from certain enemy traps. :p

Regards,
    SB

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Oh, I made them separate lairs, and even separate treasuries, hatcheries and training rooms and whatnot, for all the bloody good it did me! They would still go whichever way they wanted and would invariably cross paths with some other monster they disliked.

DK was in my view a great and unique game on a conceptual level, but somewhat poorly executed in reality. I never liked that certain monsters hated each other, particulary that so MANY monsters hated another kind of monster. I'm the evil overlord, if they should worry about anything they should worry about ME! Nevermind petty squabbles amongst themselves. It also made it very difficult to construct a varied attack squad.

Hell attacking period was sort of problematic when your bile demons - who are sturdy tanker type mobs - are so much slower than say your warlocks, whom are supposed to stand back and fling spells from afar. The warlocks would invariably be the first to arrive, - the bile demons would still be eating in the hatchery by then lol - and get cut down.

Yea yea. You can fling monsters down with your hand anywhere on your own territory. But I never liked that. It was too easy to just round up all your monsters on your hand, drop em near the enemy and watch the carnage. And then after the fight the monsters went back to whatever they WANTED to do and not what I put them to do, forcing me to micro-manage them all over again...

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Heh, not sure why I had such an easier time than you. My tanks always arrived before my ranged DPS. And really I had nary a squabble between my minions. Although I personally liked the fact that monsters that hated each other would attack each other if they were grumpy. Even more so if they were always in close proximity.

Evil is all about petty squabbles and fighting with the enemy AND with allies. Evil isn't all touchy feely and hugs and kisses all around. :) That's for those soft goody two shoes.

Perhaps I loved it so much because I never seemed to have the problems you did to the extent that you had them. My only complaint with the game was the sometime poor pathing (and the bugs at launch that subsequent patches fixed for the most part for DK2). And that's about it. :) I must have played DK like 10 times through. And DK2 like 20 times through. :)

Regards,
    SB

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Well if you never played the games all that much, perhaps that explains it. ;) The biggest AI problems I had with the game only appeared after a LONG long game. I made many "sandbox" type games where I dug out and furnished pretty much the entire map, leveled my mobs up to 10 etc just to see how powerful they became when they fought etc.

Vampires getting stuck in the temple for example wouldn't happen if you didn't:
    * Have a temple
    * Have any vampires
    * Have vampires not busy with something else, such as training, or fighting...