Godzilla meet Tinkerbell...!!!

Neeyik

Homo ergaster
Veteran
Well I've had my Yamaha TSS-1 speakers for something like 5 years now and this last month has saw them slowly dying a rather noisy (and bloody annoying) death. They finally popped out of existance last week but a friend of mine with too much money, offered to sell me his Logitech Z-5500 speakers at a nice reduced price (he'd bought those Gigaworks 7.1 thingies). The office PC with which I'm writing this on uses a pair of little Logitech's too, so I had rashly assumed that....well..., just look at this:

godzilla.jpg

Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer and centre speaker on the left; Yamaha TSS-1 sub and centre on the right!

It's bloody huge - the courier gave me such a look when he asked what the hell it was, as it was struggling to bring it into the house. I hadn't realised it was that large - I'd only heard of good reports about the speakers and since he was a friend of mine, I thought "why not"?!

The dog took one look at the sub and legged it pronto...

I have the previous generation, the Z600. Same amp and almost the same decoder hardware (new one can do 24bit/96kHz spdif too). The main difference is cosmetic, plus the sub is considerably bigger...

I have no idea what sound quality is like, but going by the Z600's performance, the bass must be completely earthshattering because the 8" woofer in this one can make everything in the room shake and the 5500 has a 10" unit... Crazy. :)

Mmmmm, nice sub (don't think much of the sats, though). I've got Gigaworks S750s and they're awesome for PC speakers. Wish I could add that sub to the mix though. Need more bass :!:

Just swap in a grill in the shape of Darth Vader's face and be done with it!

Back