God of War: Ragnarok [PS4, PS5]

In 2018 Cory Barlog talk about the original design of God of War where it would have been possible to move between realms but they could not solve the loading problem. And it was before any official news about the PS5. IF the timestamp is not working it is from 50:45.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's just an add or teasing something coming but well.
edit :
The PS5 is upside down...lol
E5yUVpYWQAU-zW8

Last edited:
So we had some gameplay last night during the Sony show. It looks like the 2nd part of the previous God of War. Technically, nothing special, it looks like the first game imo, which is not bad but, it look like a cross gen game. Is it ? Anyway, kind of a let down for me...

in gow 2018 there were walking/loading sequences to let the PS4 load the next areas, how they'll handle this this time i'm curious.

in gow 2018 there were walking/loading sequences to let the PS4 load the next areas, how they'll handle this this time i'm curious.
They created the loading hub (and its story elements) because of the PS4 slow I/O. I am expecting they'll get rid of it for GoW2 in a way or another or make it optionnal for PS5 players.

im interested how horizon 2 looks ps5 vs ps4 but here ? resolution/frames will be only difference

Yeah, gow2 pretty much looks like the first game here graphically. I think Horizon2 had the benefit of a longer dev time and Guerilla having more man-power + they upgraded their engine with Kojima's team.

Reactions: snc

Attachments

• Ragnarok_1.jpg
    Ragnarok_1.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Ragnarok_2.jpg
    Ragnarok_2.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Ragnarok_3.jpg
    Ragnarok_3.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 12
  • Ragnarok_4.jpg
    Ragnarok_4.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Ragnarok_5.jpg
    Ragnarok_5.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 12
Jim Ryan should leave. Ragnarok looks like 2018's GoW, games are cross gen nowadays or simply lacking the oomph we got from other playstations.

Cross gen has nothing to do with it. This is the smallest hardware jump WRT core rendering hardware (GPU and memory) that we've ever seen for a new console generation.

Core rendering isn't going to have a huge leap, but the overall gaming experience should have a generational leap (loading, streaming, higher framerates, etc.) due to significantly larger upgrades to the CPU and storage subsystem. And while the storage subsystem can alleviate many of the bottlenecks (like loading in assets, streaming or otherwise) imposed by a smaller generational growth in available memory, it's still a LOT slower than memory when used for rendering (do something on GPU, write to memory, read from memory, do something on GPU, write to memory, read from memory, etc. until final frame is rendered to screen ... the new I/O won't really help with this part of rendering).

Static screenshots or stills will suffer the most. But higher framerates will result in better looking games during gameplay where you'll retain far more detail once the camera starts moving. Although it's worrisome if GOW: Ragnarok ends up being a 30 FPS game, that would be a huge shame. I'm going to guess that they'll offer a 60 FPS setting, though. Have a 30 FPS setting for screenshots and a 60 FPS setting for actually playing the game. :p

IMO, Dad Simulator 2 looks fantastic.

If I were to take a guess, the new hardware will allow them to open up the world a bit more and it'll be a little more open world and less an on rails corridor type game with constant loading checkpoints. That means that scenes will either be more dense or more open with larger and more impressive vistas than the first game had. The first game, other than some exploration areas (like the lake), the view was very constrained and you rarely got to look very far. Lots of tricks were used to accomplish this (fog, caves, rocky canyons, small islands, etc.) so that you were basically in a small rendering box, but you didn't necessarily think you were in a small rendering box.

I'm fully expecting the second game to open things up more and you'll have larger combat arena's, more detailed exploration areas, etc.

Basically better looking playable areas that are also larger than the previous game. The PS4 version might actually end up being a downgrade visually from GOW (2016) if the playable areas do end up being larger (or completely open) as well as being more densely populated with art assets.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back