God of War: Ragnarok [PS4, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, Sep 27, 2020.

1. chris1515

Legend Regular

In 2018 Cory Barlog talk about the original design of God of War where it would have been possible to move between realms but they could not solve the loading problem. And it was before any official news about the PS5. IF the timestamp is not working it is from 50:45.

#21 chris1515, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. TEEDA

Regular

I don't know if it's just an add or teasing something coming but well.

edit :
    The PS5 is upside down...lol
    [​IMG]

#22 TEEDA, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

pc version incoming soon.

TEEDA likes this.
  4. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Well its crossy platform time. Big time.

5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

So we had some gameplay last night during the Sony show. It looks like the 2nd part of the previous God of War. Technically, nothing special, it looks like the first game imo, which is not bad but, it look like a cross gen game. Is it ? Anyway, kind of a let down for me...

Unknown Soldier and snc like this.
  6. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Yes it is. They said God of War Ragnarok would be backwards compatible(unfortunately) and would cost $60 on the PS4.

snc likes this.
  7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

will be interesting to see how it compares between PS4/Pro and PS5.

8. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

im interested how horizon 2 looks ps5 vs ps4 but here ? resolution/frames will be only difference

9. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

in gow 2018 there were walking/loading sequences to let the PS4 load the next areas, how they'll handle this this time i'm curious.

10. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

The same way ?

milk and iceberg187 like this.
  11. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

They created the loading hub (and its story elements) because of the PS4 slow I/O. I am expecting they'll get rid of it for GoW2 in a way or another or make it optionnal for PS5 players.

12. techuse

Regular Newcomer

I miss the Sony of old.

13. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Freya already looks more bad ass than I expected. :drool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#33 Unknown Soldier, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    DieH@rd and snc like this.
  14. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Am i remembering wrong or did she look just like that in the first one?

15. TobiasAT91

Jim Ryan should leave. Ragnarok looks like 2018's GoW, games are cross gen nowadays or simply lacking the oomph we got from other playstations.

Rootax likes this.
  16. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

17. vspectra

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, gow2 pretty much looks like the first game here graphically. I think Horizon2 had the benefit of a longer dev time and Guerilla having more man-power + they upgraded their engine with Kojima's team.

snc likes this.
  18. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Man, viewing the video in 4K is awesome. So much detail. I wonder who the young girl is at the end?

Attached Files:

19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Cant they up the lighting and give us more oomph? I hope it is at least 60fps on PS5

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Cross gen has nothing to do with it. This is the smallest hardware jump WRT core rendering hardware (GPU and memory) that we've ever seen for a new console generation.

Core rendering isn't going to have a huge leap, but the overall gaming experience should have a generational leap (loading, streaming, higher framerates, etc.) due to significantly larger upgrades to the CPU and storage subsystem. And while the storage subsystem can alleviate many of the bottlenecks (like loading in assets, streaming or otherwise) imposed by a smaller generational growth in available memory, it's still a LOT slower than memory when used for rendering (do something on GPU, write to memory, read from memory, do something on GPU, write to memory, read from memory, etc. until final frame is rendered to screen ... the new I/O won't really help with this part of rendering).

Static screenshots or stills will suffer the most. But higher framerates will result in better looking games during gameplay where you'll retain far more detail once the camera starts moving. Although it's worrisome if GOW: Ragnarok ends up being a 30 FPS game, that would be a huge shame. I'm going to guess that they'll offer a 60 FPS setting, though. Have a 30 FPS setting for screenshots and a 60 FPS setting for actually playing the game. :p

IMO, Dad Simulator 2 looks fantastic.

If I were to take a guess, the new hardware will allow them to open up the world a bit more and it'll be a little more open world and less an on rails corridor type game with constant loading checkpoints. That means that scenes will either be more dense or more open with larger and more impressive vistas than the first game had. The first game, other than some exploration areas (like the lake), the view was very constrained and you rarely got to look very far. Lots of tricks were used to accomplish this (fog, caves, rocky canyons, small islands, etc.) so that you were basically in a small rendering box, but you didn't necessarily think you were in a small rendering box.

I'm fully expecting the second game to open things up more and you'll have larger combat arena's, more detailed exploration areas, etc.

Basically better looking playable areas that are also larger than the previous game. The PS4 version might actually end up being a downgrade visually from GOW (2016) if the playable areas do end up being larger (or completely open) as well as being more densely populated with art assets.

Regards,
    SB

#40 Silent_Buddha, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    TobiasAT91 likes this.