God of War [PS4, PC]

Nothing ever happens in the first levels of these games? Let me refresh your memory, son. God of War I started out with the Hydra battle and God of War II with the Colossus of Rhodes.
Jup. Starting a God of War game you expected to be thrown into the deep end... and it was awesome.

You know I can certainly understand some of the concerns on the slow pacing and combat, but as already been posted here from the IGN article, you will most certainly get a boat load of crazy set pieces and what not, but what we've got from E3 was purely some new variety away from what we know and love about classic GOW. SSM are not pretending to portray the whole game like TLOU, I think that's where some people got it all wrong. It's like if ND showed you a gameplay segment from Drake's living room at E3, you wouldn't think UC4 is now a soap opera game would you? Have faith in Barlog, after all he's made one of the best entry in the series GOW2 and there's no way he would nerf this one to any stretch of imagination.

How can people be so 'disappointed' by what seemed to be a very introductory first level? Nothing ever happens in the first level of any game these days. GOW3 started off with a huge bang because that's where the story from GOW2 left off.

Totally agree. I don't get all these cries.

Okay, I have just watched the gameplay 'reveal' trailer again and this is what's wrong with it:

When I first watched it - I was thinking GoW? With a kid? Looks like Kratos, but it doesn't sound like Kratos (different voice), and he certainly isn't acting like Kratos. What I did get though was very much a "Witcher 3" vibe. So much in fact, that at first I was wondering if this was some crazy extension pack to Witcher 3 they were showing or something. It wasn't helped by the various messages popping up "Archer skill improved +1" or something along those lines. Now I absolutely loved Witcher 3 - for what it is. A grand-scale, novel-like, story-driven RPG. I certainly wouldn't play Witcher 3 for the combat. It's just a means to level up and progress.

This is not GoW or what a GoW game should be. To those wondering what a God of War game should be like, you should look for the GoW3 topic and see the people (me included) raving on about how bloddy fantastic the gameplay and combat were in that game. It was what made you come back and play the game. Heck, I completed it on the hardest difficulty setting and was about 2 challenges away of getting a Platinum trophy for it. It was one of these rare games that made me feel like a little boy, playing something mindblowingly epic.

It's a pitty they seemed to have changed the diretion. This neither feels like a God of War game nor have they shown anything so far that plays the part too. IMO this just looks like Geralt dressed up as Kratos in another day of the Witcher 3.

Mighty fail if you ask me, sorry.

Seems like the same voice actor to me. Just that this time he has to talk in a calm way, which we are not used to. When Kratos shouts, it sounds very familiar :)

Also, I really do not understand the "it is not Kratos" anymore posts. This guy acted like I would imagine a Kratos father. Listen to all he says and how he says stuff. Very Kratos like imo: I am hungry. Feed us.

In my personal opinion the only thing that really is not GOW (besides the camera of course) is the apparent change in combat mechanics. GOW is combo based gameplay and chaining together those combos. Here, it seemed in the Troll fight that the combos weren't so 'charismatic' anymore and didn't really count. There were all sorts of different combat mechanics in place...this is the only thing imo that makes me a bit worried...GOW for me had near perfect combat gameplay. Changing this up comes at a high risk!

But, I am 100% certain that we will get different weapons...I do wonder if they will introduce at one point his Chaos Blades?!?

I liked previous God of War games very much, but this seems way more interesting. The combat and hits feel like there is some oomph now instead of that floaty swinging of the past. The gameplay looks like it has improved leaps and bounds. Kratos with the beard looks glorious as well. The change in camera is an excellent change. Sign me up.

Last edited:
I'd rather have Kratos ripping off heads (the young boys included) than him baby sitting. But that's just me. In fact, I can see Kratos at some point, after his son makes yet another mistake, just having enough of it and in one swift move throwing him against a wall, exploding bones, fountain of blood in all directions before setting off into where ever the **** he's going. Now that would be God of War. :cool:

I did say that games don't throw you into huge set piece THESE DAYS.

We're in the age of long attempts at deep and meaningful stories and characterisation. GOW3 was ages ago.

He'll probably need to rescue his son, gets blackmailed with his son into taking sides, teach his son to hunt ever increasing targets, gets convinced by his son that killing is bad after all, falls in love with a new wife who turns out bad, gets involved between a war between gods of Valhalla, or kills all gods of Valhalla because ultimately normal people are better off without them. Or something.

@London-boy: My bad. I just don't get why GoW of all games needs to follow the "let's lull our audience to sleep with our barely barely interactive, cinema-related inferiority complexes"-route.

@London-boy: My bad. I just don't get why GoW of all games needs to follow the "let's lull our audience to sleep with our barely barely interactive, cinema-related inferiority complexes"-route.
Well, look how long it took Uncharted 4 to actually get going. Hours! I'm sure GOW won't be like that.

A nice introduction will be nice, but not if it's over long at the expense of gratuitous decapitations.

Which is why I'll most likely never be playing it again. There's just very little of what I'd consider to be a "game" there. On the other hand I probably finished GoW3 a dozen times because it was such a blast to play.
I'm on my second playthrough of UC4, but as I've said many times, I do hold GOW3 to a completely different level. It just struck the absolutely perfect balance of pace, gameplay, length, that other games (even other GOW games before and after it) never matched. Which is why it's probably the only game I also must have finished ten times at least.

But then where are you going after GoW 3? It was literally the "let's have Kratos kill everything that is moving" game. They either should have stopped there and made a new IP or start a new type of GOW. I've played all 7 GOW games and I have to say, if it was the same i wouldn't be interested as much as i am with what they are doing right now. If you keep doing the same thing again and again not only development becomes boring but also gameplay becomes stale.

I wonder how many of the nine realms we are able to explore in this entry, with the way Kratos narrated in the trailer it sounded like a new trilogy to me. I do hope we at least get to lay some waste in Asgard (Home of the Gods obviously Thor and Odin encounters), Jotunheim (Home of the Giants for epic titan sized moving level gameplay) and Muspelheim (The Land of Fire for eye melting fire demon battles). The potential in Norse is so vast it simply can't be covered in one game.

But then where are you going after GoW 3? It was literally the "let's have Kratos kill everything that is moving" game. They either should have stopped there and made a new IP or start a new type of GOW. I've played all 7 GOW games and I have to say, if it was the same i wouldn't be interested as much as i am with what they are doing right now. If you keep doing the same thing again and again not only development becomes boring but also gameplay becomes stale.
Agreed 100%

Back