God of War [PS4] (Kratos is worthy)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by London-boy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

I do think it's deeper because I think the move set is at least as large GoW3, and the enemy encounters are more tactical. I feel the large majority of encounters in GoW were just button mashing. Mashing R1 and arrows in this GoW will not get you passed quite a few encounters, especially if you're under level. Mind you this is factoring in all encounters, including side missions, which are harder than the main campaign.

Jumping is obviously not in the game, but aerial juggling is still in this GoW. Enemies generally don't float up in the air as long, but there are certain runic attacks and items you can equip to extend the time.

#641 djskribbles, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

GOW is not exactly ‘open world’ in the strict sense of the term. It’s more like a series of large and very varied areas connected by corridors to a big and open area in the middle.

It’s more similar to Bloodborne in that sense than HZD.

3. Sigfried1977

Veteran

It's basically like Ocarina of time: big field in the middle surrounded by lots of adjacent smaller ones. Even has Ocarina's parallel dimensions if you will. A traditional open world it is not.

London-boy likes this.
  4. AlBran

AlBran ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

Like some sort of hydra. thinking-face.png

5. TEEDA

Regular

Couple of shots of Kratos I took from photo mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. xexuxjy

Newcomer Subscriber

Not the best picture due to flash from camera in a dark room, but I was blown away by how good GoW looked on my projector and 110" screen which I'd finished setting up on Friday. This was just on a standard PS4 on a JVC7900. Almost tempted to play through The Order 1886 again but probably need to clear some more of my backlog before I do that ..... :)

Attached Files:

7. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

Wow, I bet that was astonishing. I played through GoW3 on my old 720p projector. Fucking spectacular!

8. xexuxjy

Newcomer Subscriber

Yeah this is 4k ,or faux k depending on how you look at it but when I demoed various projectors this way just way better then the true 4k models I saw. At least in my price range anyway :) Another advantage is that I can actually read the text in GoW now :)

Tkumpathenurpahl and London-boy like this.
  9. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Nice setup!! What are those speakers?

10. RenegadeRocks

Legend

We need a pic without the flash please :)

11. RenegadeRocks

Legend

To me GOW level design felt most similar to Darksiders. That is exactly how this game is structured. Not an open world game at all.

12. xexuxjy

Newcomer Subscriber

Recently moved house and new house has 'summer house / mancave' at bottom of the garden which was just begging to be turned into a cinema room , it had previously been used as a music practise room so had soundproofing built into the walls which helped. Oh and a mini gym as well. Anyway, been working on turning the music room part of it it into a cinema room so has : JVC 7900 Projector, B&W 683 speakers, REL S5 sub and 4 ceiling/atmos speakers and 2 rear speakers. Completely silly really, but playing God of War , Sea of Thieves and watching The Matrix on it made me think there were worse things I could have bought :) A cut scene in GoW with Jormungandr speaking had me a bit worried that the bass would shake the place down :) I'll take a few more pictures if people want to see :)

Clukos, JPT and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  13. Sigfried1977

Veteran

For me, playing using a projector was a bit too much to be honest. I love it for movies, but for games I actually prefer the more manageable screen estate of a tv. Basically, I don't really wanna have to turn my neck in order to check my hud.

milk and xexuxjy like this.
  14. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

If I remember correctly, this was the same description that Jeff Gerstman from GiantBomb had.

15. ultragpu

Veteran

That first Jormungandr encounter was one of the most thrilling and intimidating experience in gaming for me, the sheer detail, animation, scale and sound mix are simply terrifying yet mesmerizing.

xexuxjy likes this.
  16. xexuxjy

Newcomer Subscriber

Agreed. Was wondering if there was anyway or replaying the various cutscenes in the game? obviously there are videos on line, but they don't have the full 7.1 experience :(

London-boy likes this.
  17. ultragpu

Veteran

I just make manual saves for those key areas right before I proceed them so that I can watch or replay the major bosses or cutscenes repeatedly :). This game really could benefit from a chapter select option like UC games tho.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  18. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

So I just started the game. I'm not hooked right now... I find the controls not very intuitive, but I guess I'll adjust with time. Also, the effects are gorgeous, but I don't get all the noise about the graphics for now. Yeah it's nice, but the world is kind of "meh" for me, artistically.

19. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

You have just started, just wait and see all that the game has to offer. :)