God of War [PS4, PC]

Finally, the angriest man or god or demigod Kratos has returned once again to the Playstation console, but this time bound with a world of changes and for the better! New mythology (set in Norse), new life (now with a son) and a whole new beginning with no shortage of brutal kills. Sony Santa Monica studios beautifully knocked it out of the park with their first gameplay demo, delivering unfathomable level of graphics once again and fluent yet much heavier gameplay this time. Kratos has also expressed varied facets of psychology which is a much needed character development for the series.
I can't wait to learn more of what's to come, new enemies, new environments, epic set pieces and an emotional journey of our older but newer Kratos:yes:!
image_god_of_war-32160-3634_0003.jpg

image_god_of_war-32160-3634_0002.jpg

image_god_of_war-32160-3634_0001.jpg

Chaos, will of course rise again sooner or later:devilish:

Great graphics, but I was definitely not blown away. Disappointed in the gameplay shown and lack of epicness to it.

Some of the infos we got on the game :

Sony Santa Moncia confirmed the following on YouTube with Geoff a moment ago:

- Kratos is the main character, play as him all game.
- Not open world game.
- Norse mythology timeline.
- coming out..."soon", definitely not a 2016 game.
- Game is a continuation of GOW III with new take on gameplay , re imagining a better storydriven GOW game.

Some infos on the changes and departure from previous GOW from Cory Balrog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/13/first-look-santa-monica-studios-new-god-of-war-on-ps4/

Everything, everywhere changes.

Change is an essential part of life. In creative development change is often the explosive spark that transforms good enough into truly memorable.

Several years ago we at Santa Monica Studio began the journey of creating a new God of War. All of us recognized a special honor and responsibility to create a different and better and truly more memorable experience than before. I realized early on that we had to make changes in every aspect of the game.

I knew I didn’t want to simply reboot the franchise, starting over with a retelling of the origin story. I wanted to reimagine the gameplay, give players a fresh perspective and a new tactile experience while delving deeper into the emotional journey of Kratos to explore the compelling drama that unfolds when an immortal demigod makes a decision to change.

For Kratos, this change means breaking the cycle of violence, distrust and deception that his family, the Greek pantheon, perpetuated for so long. That cycle drove a whole host of bad decisions – the ill-fated deal with Ares, the murder of his family and a rage fueled descent into madness and vengeance that ultimately ended with the epic destruction of Olympus.

It also means learning how to control his rage, the intensely turbulent monster that lives within him, steering him down ever-darker paths. Kratos needed to figure out how to put the monster back in the box, how to control when he does and does not let that monster out.

Kratos’ rage has provoked a ton of bad decisions in his life, so I was fascinated to see what would happen if he actually made a good one. What would that look like? How would he struggle with this very difficult and unfamiliar road? And more importantly, why would he do this?

The last question was answered in my own life with the birth of my son, a tremendously transformative event that had me thinking about all kinds of change in life. It is hard for human beings to truly change, but one thing that can really motivate us is the thought of being responsible for a life, and especially the life of our child. The weight of that responsibility drives the instinct to protect, to want to prevent the mistakes of our past being delivered upon them. There is no end to the lengths we will go, no adversity we will not overcome, to be better… for them.

Once the decision to change was made, things got really interesting for Kratos and for all of us here at SMS. The road to creating a new God of War is a seemingly endless climb up an impossibly enormous mountain, filled with countless gut-wrenching failures and joyfully sweet successes.

I am glad for the change and the direction they are taking. I like the new camera angle, design looks GOW-like.. It seems that most of upcoming games from Sony are now borrowing the " more story driven/ character relationship. " from the success of TLOU. We' ve seen that in UC4 as well.
This is now my most anticipated 2017 game and want to see Hellblade too lol.
What i m a bit worried like some people is the downed gameplay from previous GOW. I welcome the change Cory want to do but I loved the dynamic fast paced DMC-ish of GOW combat style. Just hope the departure or rethinking of combat will still be interesting. because It looks like the focus is more on " the presentation side " than gameplay/ combat side. With such camera I don't know about the plateforming, running chase sequences. Still hyped hyped and want it as soon as possible.

Some of the infos we got on the game :

Sony Santa Moncia confirmed the following on YouTube with Geoff a moment ago:

- Kratos is the main character, play as him all game.
- Not open world game.
- Norse mythology timeline.
- coming out..."soon", definitely not a 2016 game.
- Game is a continuation of GOW III with new take on gameplay , re imagining a better storydriven GOW game.

Some infos on the changes and departure from previous GOW from Cory Balrog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/13/first-look-santa-monica-studios-new-god-of-war-on-ps4/

I am glad for the change and the direction they are taking. I like the new camera angle, design looks GOW-like.. It seems that most of upcoming games from Sony are now borrowing the " more story driven/ character relationship. " from the success of TLOU. We' ve seen that in UC4 as well.
This is now my most anticipated 2017 game and want to see Hellblade too lol.
What i m a bit worried like some people is the downed gameplay from previous GOW. I welcome the change Cory want to do but I loved the dynamic fast paced DMC-ish of GOW combat style. Just hope the departure or rethinking of combat will still be interesting. because It looks like the focus is more on " the presentation side " than gameplay/ combat side. With such camera I don't know about the plateforming, running chase sequences. Still hyped hyped and want it as soon as possible.
Continuation? Not a reboot?
How?

I wonder how air combo will work with this new camera.
http://i.imgur.com/rDZj3nQ.gif

If they could speed up a bit the movement like here, it would be perfect for me.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHBcRHZqdI7aGLm/giphy.gif

I' m not a really fan of Axe or hammer in games in general, I prefer swords or spears. But well let's see how it will turn out to be.
Also noticed the " XP " gain maybe hinting at some kind of rpg-like abilities power up. So they' re maybe going to something close to skyrime maybe ?
I don't really like that camera angle for TPS and Hack n slash games, especially with multiple opponents.
Unless the focus is not hack n slashing more than 2 or 3 opponents at the same time.

Amazing. I support change of gameplay and setting, it should make game much more interesting.

Sent from my OnePlus One via Tapatalk

Continuation? Not a reboot?
How?
I can see it. Seems like an older, wiser, less angry Kratos. I thought Kratos' family was killed though? That was his son right?

The gameplay has obviously changed a lot; it seems to be more story driven.

Personally I like the direction they're taking the game. I just need to see more gameplay because what they showed didn't impress me much... the combat seemed too simple. No doubt there's a lot more depth to it... just wish they would have showed more.

More details on the gameplay mechanics:

_You control his son via one dedicated button ( contextual action )
_ No loading screens or cinematics.
_More in-depth RPG system ( crafting ressources , armor, )

While you assume complete control of Kratos, you also passively control his son throughout the entire game, and both characters grow and evolve. There’s a single button dedicated to your son, and its use depends on the context. He becomes an active participant in combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle-solving. In this, the game is about passing knowledge onto your child. At the beginning of your journey, you teach a reluctant child how to fire a bow and hunt. As you progress through the game, that becomes second-nature to the boy, and it’s clear that your knowledge has been passed on.

This bond isn’t the only new, surprising element of God of War. The entire game is presented as a single, uninterrupted shot. Once you’re in, you’re in. No load screens, no cinematics, no fades to black. Kratos and his son’s journey across the world of Norse mythology -- which takes place an undisclosed amount of time past God of War III -- will be told in a wholly singular, and honestly unique manner.

Right from the get-go, it was apparent that this was a very different God of War game. We now view the world from behind Kratos’ shoulders, with the previously-static camera now being controlled using the right stick. This part is important, because the world is rife with hidden paths, secret nooks, and collectables hidden all over the place. During my extended demo, we wandered off the beaten path and discovered a number of crafting resources, pieces of armor, and idols. God of War will feature larger, much more in-depth RPG systems, something Sony will discuss further down the road.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...he-first-time?abthid=5760873dad0cc3bc5f000022

j0wDMra.png

gQSPo09.png

The live main theme it seems whch sounds outstanding.

Christopher Judge is the new voice of Kratos
2chvqmv.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this demo was very Last of Usish in more than one ways, but now they reveal the entire game is about journeying with your wimpy son. This IS the Last of Us, only Ellie was much more badass from the get-go.

Back