Gizmondo Review

london-boy said:
Wrong forum matey...

And why is that? The reviewed product is a handheld gaming console as the DS or PSP.
If you think you are right about it or whatever what you'r thinking (besides stupid rumors), then report to the forum admin and let him move/delete the post.

doob said:
And why is that? The reviewed product is a handheld gaming console as the DS or PSP.
If you think you are right about it or whatever what you'r thinking (besides stupid rumors), then report to the forum admin and let him move/delete the post.
There is a Handheld Forum

Maybe it's just me but the design of the unit if very uninspiring. The PSP looks 300x better IMO, this looks like a cheap rip-off to me. I'd be very surprised if it gained significant market share against the PSP and DS. btw whats the mrsp on this unit?

The design sucks bigtime, but isn't there a widescreen replacement on the way? This issue seems confused as Gizmondo have said they're not releasing new hardware in the near future.

I gotta say, I'm almost tempted to get one of these. Their line-up actually seems decent. I'll probably wait a few months for the company to go out of business and pick one up in the bargain bin somewhere, but this is bound to become a collector's item so it's worth picking up for kitsch factor alone.

If the bosses keep taking extraneous cash out of the kitty then they should go bust pretty quick. I'm amazed after those finanicals anyone would give them financial backing!

I'll probably wait a few months for the company to go out of business and pick one up in the bargain bin somewhere

lol Yeah if they drop below $100 usd I wouldn't mind owning one. PSPs are nice but they're also expensive and the game libary isn't there yet IMO.

From that review...
  • All this functionality comes at a steep price: Gizmondo retails for a whopping $400. (A version that automatically downloads video advertisements -- then forces you to watch them before you can power off -- costs $229.)
  • which will let Gizmondo users map their current location, find local restaurants and even navigate city streets (although the latter will require an additional $249 software package that's not yet available).
  • it takes nearly a minute to boot the system up.
  • And boy oh boy, do the games suck. The hardware's anemic 3-D graphics pale in comparison to the PSP -- and, at times, even to the $130 Nintendo DS
Screenshot from SSX (oversized. Should be 320x240)
ssx3_f.jpg

Compared to PSP version...
ssx-on-tour-20050714063243068.jpg

Even if the software is just limited because the devs aren't pushing it, and the hardware is capable of much more, the Gizmondo is looking 'utterly pwned' by PSP in every way. It hasn't really got a hope, has it?

Guden Oden said:
Hm. One minute startup. On a handheld, with solid-state components throughout? How on earth did they manage? :D

Well it might be the time it takes to get your biometrics information, possibly your bank details and send them over to the gangsters makers of Gizmondo.
Quite a cool scam if you ask me.

Back