GI: Forerunner = Halo 3?

I wouldn't be too sure of what they say in that article since they say that the Halo 3 game will take place before Halo 1. The problem is that the Halo movie's storyline, which I'm guessing is going to come out around the same time as the game, is based on one of the Halo novels that came out before the game and if the game and the movie have the same storyline, then the storyline of the actual game would be spoiled and the cliffhanger at the end of Halo 2 would be wasted.

The other rumor that really bothered me in the article is the one about how Halo 3 will use the Halo 2 engine, that doesn't seem like too good of an idea but I don't know crap about programming so it might be completely true...

Halo 3 will use the Halo 2 engine

Waah?

Prequels are all the rage, so that part is probably true. Personally I think they're STUPID just like in the Star Wars series..

Crappy guys need to get some damn creativity! Prequels=uncreative! I'm sick of them!

Alstrong said:
hm... I found this thread regarding Forerunner. This must be the one to which AzBat is referring.

http://forums.xbox.com/3042312/ShowPost.aspx
Highlights

Halo 3 isn't currently called Halo 3. In fact, it doesn't even have halo in the name - it is called Forerunner
It will include HUGE environments.
It will be somewhat open - i.e. A mission where you have to go invade/destroy an armory will determine how much weaponry you have for the next mission and how much the opposing forces will have.
Will have a definite mission structure - but still be somewhat open.
4 Player Co-Op
A gameinformer source (not named) HAS SEEN THE GAME IN ACTION. He also explains that the reason Bungie says there is no Halo 3 is because it will most likely be called "Forerunner"

....the last part sounds too fake since Bill Gates already said that Bungie is working on Halo 3. The rest is just too awesome not to hope for.

After reading that..

I have a feeling Bungie thinks they can do no wrong and are losing it..too full of themselves and trying all this whacky stuff thinking "they" can do it right.

They are gonna become like Valve or something..it's inevitable.

Doesn't help Halo 2 was nowhere near as compelling as Halo 1..

the last part sounds too fake since Bill Gates already said that Bungie is working on Halo 3.

Actually this fits perfectly with an odd MS spokesperson statemet in the last few days..that something like "the next Halo game..whether it's Halo3 or something else". People had been wondering about that statement even before this new info.

This smells true to me. Maybe it will be "Halo 3:Forerunner" or something like that. I'm sure MS would want them to include the Halo name and would push for that even if Bungie doesn't want too.

I would rather Bungie try new things than keep repeating the Halo formula ad infinitum. But I do hope they return to the formula every once in awhile.

ILoveHilaryDuff said:
After reading that..

I have a feeling Bungie thinks they can do no wrong and are losing it..too full of themselves and trying all this whacky stuff thinking "they" can do it right.

They are gonna become like Valve or something..it's inevitable.

Doesn't help Halo 2 was nowhere near as compelling as Halo 1..
Honestly, it sounds like they want to do a completely new type of game. It seems like they want to get rid of the "one man army" feel and make it feel more realistic. Also, Halo2 was very good for what it was, the gameplay felt a lot less straightforward and felt more balanced (to me anyways).

Inane_Dork said:
I would rather Bungie try new things than keep repeating the Halo formula ad infinitum. But I do hope they return to the formula every once in awhile.
What is this "Halo forumula" you are talking about?

nintenho said:
What is this "Halo forumula" you are talking about?
FPS in a sci-fi setting with some vehicles and moderate plot scripting. I like that kind of game, but I don't want Bungie to be doing that forever. Branching out into new territories is a good thing, provided you don't forsake the past.

Inane_Dork said:
FPS in a sci-fi setting with some vehicles and moderate plot scripting. I like that kind of game, but I don't want Bungie to be doing that forever. Branching out into new territories is a good thing, provided you don't forsake the past.
Well, the next game seems to focus a lot more on teamwork. And the Halo atmosphere is laid back but still cool so I don't see why you'd want that changed. You have to consider that Halo is the type of series that invents new criteria's for what gamers measure. It looks like Bungie's adding a lot more then they did in Halo 2 though.:D

For the third time, you misunderstand me. I don't want Halo changed. Halo is fine on its current trajectory, IMO. That's not a popular opinion on the net, but I don't care.

What I want is Bungie to branch out into adjacent genres to keep all their games fresh. I don't want Bungie to keep solely at Halo until there's no generally perceptable difference between iterations.

Inane_Dork said:
For the third time, you misunderstand me. I don't want Halo changed. Halo is fine on its current trajectory, IMO. That's not a popular opinion on the net, but I don't care.

What I want is Bungie to branch out into adjacent genres to keep all their games fresh. I don't want Bungie to keep solely at Halo until there's no generally perceptable difference between iterations.
Sorry, I assumed that you meant that something of the past games was wrong.:oops:

It makes perfect sense to develop Halo 3 under a codename, in order to try to keep material a bit more hidden from the press and such. For example, Return of the Jedi had the working title "Blue Harvest", and Batman Begins was called "Intimidation Game" for a long time. Just imagine, you see something with Halo3 written on it and you'll immediately want to take a closer look. You see "Forerunner" and maybe if you know the Halo story and remember this phrase, you might make the connection...

Use of the same engine, modified, is not a reason for concern. The Halo engine architecture is one of the best in the business, it can easily handle and even overwhelm the 360. It will handle well multithreading, and an upgraded renderer. It would be extremely stupid NOT to use it as a basis for Frontrunner or whatever it's called.

Back