Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

How do they do that ridiculous effect with the red leaves on the ground being kicked up by the characters as they fight? I never thought that’d be possible on current hardware and it looks incredible.

How do they do that ridiculous effect with the red leaves on the ground being kicked up by the characters as they fight? I never thought that’d be possible on current hardware and it looks incredible.

Have seen things like that in many games on PC, and I assume their console counterparts would have them too. Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Hell, there's a game coming out on PC that has physics simulation for every single pixel in the game. :) Where there's a will, there's a way.

I really like how it is used in the demo reel for Ghosts, though. But I keep getting negatively distracted by the overuse of DoF. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Have seen things like that in many games on PC, and I assume their console counterparts would have them too. Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Hell, there's a game coming out on PC that has physics simulation for every single pixel in the game. :) Where there's a will, there's a way.

I really like how it is used in the demo reel for Ghosts, though. But I keep getting negatively distracted by the overuse of DoF. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

There is some Nvidia tech that does it, it was in the last Batman. Interactive paper debris simulation.

So, I happen to come across this gif at Era, having that holy sh** moment :oops:. Thinking to myself, that couldn't be a real-time render, but merely a CGI/Offline cutscene from leaked footage of Ghost of Tsushima. I did find a video (not posted here) showcasing certain aspects of Ghost of Tsushima from this past January, including a house fire.

zHkfmwm.gif

@21:20 for house fire. IMHO, the best real-time render depicting fire (possibly fire propagation), and particles blowing about.

Last edited:
So, I happen to come across this gif at Era, having that holy sh** moment :oops:. Thinking to myself, that couldn't be a real-time render, but merely a CGI/Offline cutscene from leaked footage of Ghost of Tsushima. I did find a video (not posted here) showcasing certain aspects of Ghost of Tsushima from this past January, including a house fire.

zHkfmwm.gif

@21:20 for house fire. IMHO, the best real-time render depicting fire (possibly fire propagation), and particles blowing about.
How's that leaked? Isn't that from the initial reveal trailer? The fire effect does look fabulous alright, Sucker Punch is one of the first to utilize gpu particles extensively for PS4 so it's no surprise they have improved upon that drastically in their 2020 title:). This is another semi next gen title at least graphically, you put Sekiro next to it and it's almost a whole gen difference.

And some people were talking of downgrade. Ridiculous
Yea I wouldn't use gifs as a good way to showcase games; since the important details are lost.
But no downgrade. People are suffering from the fact that 'current gen' games are catching up making it less wowful. I think the same thing happened with TLOU2 when it was first shown (unbelievable) to it's recent showing after RDR2 released (people complained of downgrade, but it wasn't; RDR2 is has moved the baseline much further).

I think the same situation here. Also having to watch this directly after watching the Hellblade 2 trailer; yea I can see how someone would say that; but I don't see any downgrades.

Looks great. Eager to see more.

Love the tone, atmosphere and apparent mix of stealth and combat. Batman and Shadow of Mordor/War are so my jam. :yes:

And looks pretty so bonus!

All I saw was a cinematic. In engine maybe, but still. While with tsushima, some scenes looked like gameplay at least, it impressed me way more.

It certainly belongs to the 8th generation of consoles by the looks of it. Hellblade on the other hand has next gen graphics, well atleast if that would be real ingame graphics that is, we will have to wait see if the final game looks like that.

The environment/ground in that part looks very PS4/Xone generation to me. Kinda bland almost.

It certainly belongs to the 8th generation of consoles by the looks of it. Hellblade on the other hand has next gen graphics, well atleast if that would be real ingame graphics that is, we will have to wait see if the final game looks like that.

The environment/ground in that part looks very PS4/Xone generation to me. Kinda bland almost.

It feels like the models and texture went two steps ahead of their previous game, but lighting took one step back. And funnily I feel like guerilla did the same from KZ:SF to HZD. And it seems like a trend among Sony studios to focus more on raw geometric/textural detail than on lighting/shading tech. I'd consider GoW, U4 and Death Stranding as other examples of the same thing. Curiously, the exact opposite aproach of rockstar with RDR2, which gladly pours as many resources as possible on very good lighting, at the expense of raw milimetric detail.
There is not best strategy, as both styles of prioritization lead to great looking games (all the ones mentioned here) and while I'm claiming certain titles seem to focus more on one aspect, by no means whatsoever am I claiming they suck at the others. Gow still has very competent lighting, and so does RDR have very good assets.
It's just an odd observation to make.

The last video looks better than this with more polish...

Back