Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

Would be really cool to get an open world in which you had to find your destinations the old-fashioned way for once. Kinda like in Morrowind where road signs and quest descriptions actually mattered. It's a little annoying at first, but once you've accepted such a quirk, the world becomes so much more immersive. Certainly a tough thing to pull off, especially once the open world gets really big.
Yes, I'm tired of playing by the minimap. Use our modern high fidelity detailing of the world for more than side-way extra story telling, make it part of gameplay please.

That moment is a pure artistic win. Best moment of the E3 as far i'm concerned.

Actually, i've haven't seen such an epic moment in any game. Even Ueda failed to match such an atmosphere.

Not sure if it's the best, but it definitely blew me away during the Sony Conference. I went from mildly curious to now being really interested in the game.

Regards,
SB

Finally a developer rips off the camera placement during horse riding from SotC.

The animation during combat looks a bit stiff and janky (a problem with many modern AAA games nowadays) but other than that it looks amazing.

Also, is it just me or do the clouds look too close to the ground?

storm clouds can be very low.
I loved how far the foliage go in the distance, and is still animated, and all those leaves on the ground and floating around, all with characters interaction with it, a big flaw of Horizon.

Finally a developer rips off the camera placement during horse riding from SotC.

The animation during combat looks a bit stiff and janky (a problem with many modern AAA games nowadays) but other than that it looks amazing.

Also, is it just me or do the clouds look too close to the ground?

Well, Sucker Punch is probably still a gameplay-first kind of developer, and in my experience, over-animating things simply doesn't translate to tight controls and reasonable amounts of depth. Sure, the brawls in Uncharted are very fluid looking, but they are also barely more than mildly interacive cut-scenes.

I think what's on display here looks spectacular actually.

I'm intregued by the technical direction of this game. There is a lot of stuff that they simply brute-forced their way through, sort of. No texture tricks to make foliage sprites look dense and volumetric. Let's simply model millions of three dimensional blades of grass and find a way to make it run. A ground covered with leaves? How about a couple thousand actually independant phisically simulated leaves?
At the same time, the shader work and lighting often looks relatively primitive. I feel like even infamous SS had more natural looking materials and lighting. Equaly, if you pause the footage when inside the temple, its interior looks surprisingly simple and sterile, but maybe its because the game is still under development because it simply is not consistent with the other game's environments.
Also of note, is the impressive work with blood particles and footstep decals as they fight in the mud. Both are very detailed and connect extremely well with the rest of the animations.
In some ways, the choices almost feel fitting to the theme, since a couple other samuray/ninja games had previously emphasised geometric complexity over shader trickery...

the style reminds me of old drawings and paintings of ancient japan, so it fits well the theme of the game, I like it a lot.

This was the genuine surprise of the Sony conference for me. The teaser and limited information previously released didn't grab me but that gameplay sequence, particularly the combat, looks so badass. :yes:

If the combat feels half as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, it'll be twice as good I need to be to dive into this game 0 assuming the rest of it hangs together. I give Sucker Punch a ton of credit in such things having loved their previous three open world Infamous games and they nailed combat in every one. :yep2:

This was the genuine surprise of the Sony conference for me. The teaser and limited information previously released didn't grab me but that gameplay sequence, particularly the combat, looks so badass. :yes:

If the combat feels half as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, it'll be twice as good I need to be to dive into this game 0 assuming the rest of it hangs together. I give Sucker Punch a ton of credit in such things having loved their previous three open world Infamous games and they nailed combat in every one. :yep2:

Hell, if the movement is as free as it seemed when they grappled to the roof, it's already miles ahead of HZD and any other similar game that uses set piece movement. Going from something like Zelda: BOTW and Conan Exiles (Zelda style climbing) to HZD/Uncharted/AC/etc. style climbing is jarring and off putting for me.

The gameplay segment was too short to know if non-ground movement will truly be free or not. But I hope it is. For example, I'd like to be able to grapple onto anything that looks grapple-able rather than only being able to grapple specific set pieces which is far too often the case in games (sad face).

That was also one of the things that really made me excited about Sekiro: SDT, the free use grapple. Hell yeah, that's how you do grappling hooks, not the stunted crap we get in most other games that can only grapple onto specific things.

Regards,
SB

Hell, if the movement is as free as it seemed when they grappled to the roof, it's already miles ahead of HZD and any other similar game that uses set piece movement.

We'll see. Horizon looks like any other third person game but when you are in control of Aloy moving around the environment, engaging and luring prey, attacking from range and through melee, using all the tools at your disposal, it's sublime. There is virtually zero friction between the gamepad and the game; it almost feels like the game is intuiting what you want the character to do.

I'm really struggling to think of another game with such precise control in a third person game...

Anyway, can't wait to see more. I'm guessing they'll be plenty of RPG mechanics, armour, equipment and weapons upgrades, combat trees etc.

well the "climb anything" aspect of BOTW is totally unrealistic, they said the game is grounded so i hope you can"t climb everything, it's not a Just Cause grapple hook.

well the "climb anything" aspect of BOTW is totally unrealistic, they said the game is grounded so i hope you can"t climb everything, it's not a Just Cause grapple hook.

It's still more realistic than say GOW or HZD or AC. So many places in those games you can climb, but can't because it isn't a climbing setpiece. And character stamina plays no part in it. And the constantly leaping around. Etc. Zelda and Conan aren't completely realistic either, but they are more realistic and plausible than GOW, HZD, AC, etc.

It's so annoying to see multiple places that look perfectly climbable, but because the developer's don't want you to climb there, they aren't climbable. In GOW it's kind of excusable because it's an on rails corridor adventure. But in open world games like HZD and AC, it makes no sense.

It's the same thing with knee high fences proving to be insurmountable barriers in most games. :p

Regards,
SB

From the PlayStation second day panel

Bold for @milk

-30,000 leafs on the ground in the duel
-half a million pampas flowers in that field

-They wanted a feeling of intensity and danger in the combat
-Square button swings your sword exclusive reveal!
-Jin Armor changes ,it has both mechanical value and narrative value.
-Dynamic time of day and weather confirmed, like rain and windstorms
-If you roll around alot in the mud you will be completely cover if it starts raining it washes away all the mud and blood
-Simulated clouds all dynamic, not painted, never going to be seen twice.
-Procedural skies and procedural sun break tech
-The swordplay is all mocap
-The photoscan the ground from Tsushima and out it it the game.

they are not less realisitc as they all are set in a fantasy world, their gameplay purpose is different, adding climb anywhere in HZD for example would be totally useless as there are no secret things to get by reaching thoses places.
for the climb anything fun we'll have spiderman soon ^^

Back