Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

That could be good, or it could just come off as a naff RDR2 clone.

Feudal Japan just isn't a place/era that excites me much. But early reveals of Horizon Zero Dawn didn't excite me either and that is my favourite game this year. Nonsense premise, great gameplay.

Japan has some pretty cool landscape, and the era makes for a lot of good gameplay in terms of combat options.

Japan, Samurais, swords and Ninja moves. I am in :love: already !

"So tell me Samurai...." The words have been echoing in my head ever since the reveal....all the time ! :D

Japan has some pretty cool landscape, and the era makes for a lot of good gameplay in terms of combat options.

I'm keeping an open mind, it's just not something that immediately excites me. I felt the same about Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us (urgh.. more zombies!) and Horizon Zero Dawn (robot dinosaurs, lulz. really!?!). In many ways having no/low expectations just diminishes the risk of being disappointed.

Really curious about the combat in this game. I hope they make the protagonist a proper Samurai, and given Suckerpunch's roots in sneaky, or shall we say, "sly" rooftop shenanigans, don't conflate the term with Ninja.

Last edited:
Really curious about the combat in this game. I hope they make the protagonist a proper Samurai, and given Suckerpunch's roots in sneaky, or shall we say, "sly" rooftop shenanigans, don't conflate the term with Ninja.

Official synopsis tells of a tale where one of the last surviving samurai on Tsushima will morph into a ninja:

"The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan--until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population. As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But, honorable tactics won't lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting--the way of the Ghost--as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan."

Official synopsis tells of a tale where one of the last surviving samurai on Tsushima will morph into a ninja:

"The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan--until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population. As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But, honorable tactics won't lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting--the way of the Ghost--as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan."
Ah, so now I get the trailler.

Hattori Hanzo says "Hello".

Reactions: JPT
Ninja huh ... I hope this one doesn't end up too Assassin's Creed. I think it'd be cool to have something grounded in a little more realism.

Reactions: JPT
Sony already got a winning formula with Horizon, SP will most likely try to emulate it.
More like it's Guerrilla that tried to emulate the (critical) success Sucker Punch had with their open world franchise. Sucker Punch just continue to do what they do best: open world action games. To reinvent themselves they wanted to do something very different with playing a Samurai in Japan settings.

The formula will be a bit different, the game is less directive with no waypoint for example...

"Sasuke, to become a true Ninja you must learn to properly orient yourself in your surroundings. To achieve this feat, you must assign and track your relation to waypoints on the map. Here's a 100XP point training mission for you. "

PSBlog has new details about PSX. The show will start smaller [no big keynote, just a opening segment that will touch on some games/devs] and will focus more on expanded conference showfloor, but they confirmed the presence of Dreams and Ghosts of Tsushima. The show starts in a month.

"Sasuke, to become a true Ninja you must learn to properly orient yourself in your surroundings. To achieve this feat, you must assign and track your relation to waypoints on the map. Here's a 100XP point training mission for you. "

Would be really cool to get an open world in which you had to find your destinations the old-fashioned way for once. Kinda like in Morrowind where road signs and quest descriptions actually mattered. It's a little annoying at first, but once you've accepted such a quirk, the world becomes so much more immersive. Certainly a tough thing to pull off, especially once the open world gets really big.

Back