GF4 AGP & AGP Spec

M.R.B.E.

Newcomer
1) Various Sites rumoured that the Geforce 4 Ti LineUp will have AGP 8x Support, however i didn't find any Info on Nvidias site on that???
2) http://www.heise.de stated that AGP 8x will have support for "more then 1 Graphic card". I wasn't able to find that info anywhere else on the net. Now was heise.de wrong or can any of you confirm this?

1. If I understand correctly, GF4 does not support AGP 8X in its current form.

2. AGP 8X supports a fan-out bridge to let two video cards sharing the same AGP bus. I am not sure but I think it requires video card support.

I highly doubt we'll see AGP 8X cards until Quarter 3 or Quarter 4 of this year. Some evidence of this is the new DDR 333 boards still only support AGP 4X. With the release of AMD's Hammer or AMD 8000 series chips AGP 8X is showing on the roadmap then..Quarter 4/02.

blockdiag.jpg

The new AMD AGP 3.0 Spec for Hammer CPU's (Hypertransport)

HyperTranspor_AGP.gif

The front-end HyperTransport interface (Side A) provides a configurable 16-bit wide communication path to the host, offering up to 6.4GB/s of bandwidth. Similarly, the back-end HyperTransport interface (Side B) provides a configurable 8-bit wide communication path to a downstream device, offering up to 1.6GB/s of bandwidth.
Component features are as follows:

16-bit HyperTransport interface (Side A) offering a maximum bandwidth of up to 6.4GB/s

8-bit HyperTransport interface (Side B) offering a maximum bandwidth of up to 1.6GB/s

Compliant with AGP 3.0 specification signaling, supporting 4X and 8X transfer modes

Compliant with AGP 2.0 specification signaling, supporting 1X, 2X, and 4X transfer modes

564-pin OBGA package

On 2002-02-24 11:46, pcchen wrote:

2. AGP 8X supports a fan-out bridge to let two video cards sharing the same AGP bus. I am not sure but I think it requires video card support.

Thanks for both of you for the info.
Will these two Video Cards be SLI-like (Additional Performance) or will it just add another Monitor out (like when i use an AGP and a PCI card).
Also thanks in advance ;)

It is possible to make a SLI-type dual card configuration. Actually, you can do such thing on almost every share bus. However, I think most vendors will use it to bring more outputs (monitors) instead of higher performance.

I remember an interview from someone at nVidia where they said the GF4 will not support AGP8x.

Back