Getting XBox for Christmas....

Natoma

Veteran
Getting it to complement my GC.

So, I need a list of games if possible. The best two from each of the following categories that are either out, or will be out by Christmas:

Racing --> Anything similar to Wipeout, F-Zero, and Extreme G3, i.e., techno-futuristic racing

Adventure/Platformer --> can be platformer like blinx or fps like halo i guess.. just as long as it's good. keep in mind i love platformers like sms. :)

Action

Shooter

Puzzle

Fighter

It'd be a great help. Thanks! :)

Quantum Redshift is very similar to wipeout(in fact, I believe its the next evolutionary step in the series, I know the same team is behind it)

GUNVALKYRIE and Halo are the best shooters on the platform.

But my advice with GV is try before you buy. That way you aren't disappointed. The game is not Halo, and it's not a standard 3rd-person shooter like Max Payne either. It's sort of a mish-mash of a lot of older Sega games, mixed with a dose of new ideas as well.

xbsux

Quantum Redshift is a nice wipeout clone, and looks real good. Rallisport is the systems best racer imo, if youre into rally. blinnks looks stupid, but Toe Jam and Earl looks good, not sure of release date. D0A3 is the only decent fighter on the system. HAL0 goes without saying :D

Racing - Quantum Redshift, Sega GT 2002

Adventure/Platformer - Blinx, Shenmue 2

Action - Halo, GUNVALKYRIE

Shooter - Unreal Championship, MechAssault

Puzzle/Party - Tetris Worlds, Whacked!

Fighter - Dead or Alive 3, Kakuto Chojin

As Ozy said, rent GUNVALYRIE before you buy. It good, but not for the majority of consumers.

Also, if you get Halo, _MAKE SURE_ to get the 'original' Halo, NOT the Game of the Year Edition (you can tell by looking at the box). You can't use GOTY with GameSpy Tunnel, which is amazingly fun as long as you have broadband.

I'm not 100%, but I think GOTY has a few fixes here and there.. like I dont remember Captain Reeves saying "you two do this" "you guys do that", etc in Co-Op.

I got the GOTY not knowing the difference.. but then just rented the original from BlockBuster and swapped the discs :)

zurich

Oh, when I said shooter, I meant something along the lines of R-Type, Space MegaForce, Gradius, etc..

Are those games even made anymore?

Hmm.. Quanum Redshift eh? Anyone have a URL with photos of the game so I can check it out?

Also, what kind of game is Gun Valkyrie? It sounds like a 1st person shooter, but I remember a game of the same name on the Genesis that was a side scroller. Maybe that's why I'm getting confused. hehe.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to save this thread for christmas. :)

Natoma said:
Oh, when I said shooter, I meant something along the lines of R-Type, Space MegaForce, Gradius, etc..

Are those games even made anymore?

GUNVALKYRIE isn't that type, but it's in that spirit. You'd probably like it if you like those games.

Xbox doesn't have any true shooters with that sort of gameplay. You should get Ikaruga for Dreamcast if you want a new shooter, that game rocks!

If you want to play good old fashioned shooters you're going to need a mod chip in your Xbox.

Shikigami No Shiro is a vertical scrolling shooter with a rather unique 'tension' system. Ported to Xbox,PC and PS2 from the Taito G Net coin op. Graphically nothing special but a damn good game.
Coming soon is a enhanced port of Raiden Fighters, no screens are availible yet but it will be shown at the TGS.

Gun Valkyrie is awesome. It takes a few minutes to get used to the controls, but when you do it's a very enjoyable and challenging 3rd person shooter.

if u really want to import Shikigami no Shiro, there's an enhanced version that will be released soon in Japan titled Shikigami no Shiro Evolution

have extra modes and a few other stuff if i remember correctly

like Cmck said, its for modded-xbox only

-aneep-

"You should get Ikaruga for Dreamcast if you want a new shooter, that game rocks!"

Rather wait and get it for the Cube when it comes out.

yeah Ikaruga for GC might be a good game to wait for

and its just announced that Raiden Fighter (renamed Raiden Fighter Evolution, heh) for Xbox will have 2 player online mode with voice support

-aneep-

Racing-MotoGP, Rallisport Challenge

Adventure/Platformer-Blinx, JSRF

Action-Halo, Splinter Cell

Shooter-UC, HOTD3

Fighter-DOA3, Kakuto Chojin

There are a bunch of other games you also might want to check out too. Amped is one that immediately comes to mind. Don't believe a lot of the reviews that don't like the game, it is my most played Xbox game and the trick system isn't as difficult as many say. You will probably be able to find it for really cheap by then too. Games coming out this fall that could be very good are MechAssault, Shenmue II, DOAXBV, Sea Dogs II, Steel Battalion, and Transworld Snowboarding along with the ones I've already posted above.

I rented Quantum Redshift last week and thought it was pretty good. The graphics are very good and the speed in the higher difficulties can get pretty insane. The AI in the higher difficulties isn't all that great though, they start out with their powerups maxxed out so you get killed fairly easily by one of their "specials" and the game also seems to have rubberband AI.

MrSingh said:
yup. I just can't get a grip on the view control. I find myself thrashing all over and thus insta-puke time. :(

Ah. Initially I had the same problem. Especially with the inverted scheme.

But as you will see in the later levels (if you get there) and as you increase in skill, aiming is pretty useless. Not so much useless, but it's not something that the game emphasizes :)

For a platformer/puzzle game you might consider Oddworld:Munch's Oddysee.
I've seen it as cheap as 14.99 at Target and although it can get redundant at times I really enjoyed it.

Back