Getting started

Hello forum
I'm getting ready for uni where i'll be studying computer graphics technology, and I have a little dilemma.
I need a machine to work with, a PC or a laptop. Which is recommended, what specs?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017LUXVFM/?tag=b3d-21
This is a laptop i've been looking at. It looks pretty good spec wise, and it fits in the below £1000.
So, is it better to make a custom PC and buy all the equipment or just buy this laptop?

Integrated graphics might be all you need if you are interested in coding with OpenGL, Vulkan, Direct 3D. Intel's latest processors with integrated graphics are right up to date with these standards.

If you want to game, not just code or study with your laptop I would advise you to really make sure the add on graphics are actually better than the integrated graphics. You might want to post a question thread in the purchasing decisions forum. Are you in a rush? Are you particularly concerned with cost?

I think it's hard to suggest to a modern student that they do not have a laptop and have a desktop PC instead. The convenience of a laptop: being able to work anywhere, to collaborate with your colleagues and have your own computer with you and to have everything you might need on one computer are all very compelling. A custom PC should be cheaper and faster, but it's not much use if you don't have it with you.

Laptops are easier to lose or have stolen, so make sure you have some kind of backup, preferably not one that can be stolen at the same time as your laptop.

Back