get this: R-Type "Tactics" coming to PSP

http://psp.ign.com/articles/791/791049p1.html

R-Type Tactics looks like a traditional shooting game, right down to the side-scrolling perspective, only instead of freely moving about and blasting enemy ships, you take turns with the enemy, making careful movements over a grid. Perform an attack, and the game switches to an effect-filled attack sequence.

The side-scrolling perspective isn't all you'll recognize from the series. The game includes similar weapons as well as boss characters who will be instantly recognizable by hardcore fans. The "force" sub-weapons play a big part as well, adding extra power to your ship.

Speaking with the magazine, producer Kazuma Kujo fielded the obvious question: why a strategy game? The answer, according to Kujo, is that the R-Type series came to an end with R-Type Final, so with the new game, Irem wants you to think "This is new." Hopefully this doesn't mean that R-Type shooting games will never return.

This surprising twist on a classic franchise hits the Japanese PSP later this year.

I saw the Japanese magazine scan posted elsewhere. Although it was blurry, what I could make out has me drooling with anticipation.

screenshots
from the Irem's R-Type Tactics website.

ss_15.jpg

ss_16.jpg

ss_17.jpg

ss_07.jpg

ss_08.jpg

ss_09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well well well! R-Type Tactics comes out this week in the U.S. It's been retitled R-Type Command.

The demo is available on the PlayStation Store.

If you like relatively simple turn-based strategy games, I recommend at least giving the demo a try.

I liked it enough that I'm buying the full game.

Back