Georgia Tech STI Cell/B.E. Workshop 2007

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by one, Jun 23, 2007.

1. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Now there are a bunch of presentation pdfs from Georgia Tech STI Cell/B.E. Workshop 2007 (June 18-19) on their web site.

http://sti.cc.gatech.edu/
    http://sti.cc.gatech.edu/program.html

Among them, about games:
    Cell/B.E. Powered Games, Jim Tilander, LucasArts
    Cell/B.E.: Programming for Digital Animation and Visual F/X, Bruce D'Amora (IBM T. J. Watson Research)
    Developing Technology for Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Mike Acton, CellPerformance

Bruce D'Amora's presentation is the latest update for server-side physics-based modeling which I think will be the basis of a PS4-era system architecture.
    Jim Tilander thinks new languages may be needed for better SPU programing, I find this part interesting
    But Mike Acton can't wait for a new language to come.

Excerpts from Mike Acton:
    EDIT: Forgot to add another SCE presentation about SPURS!

Beyond the GFLOPS, Dominic Mallinson, Vice President, US Research and Development, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

#1 one, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  2. patsu

Legend

Very interesting ! Thanks for posting this. I am still digesting the comment about moving away from SPURS towards manual control. Is this because Insomniac does not perform triangle culling on the SPUs, and so they need more careful/absolute control over what gets sent to RSX (and when).

...which makes me wonder what kind of custom programs run on their SPUs. I heard they wrote their own physics engine in Resistance. What else ?

EDIT: Just came across this...

Another real world application for PS3:
    http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=6688685&nav=menu484_2_10

#2 patsu, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  3. Titanio

Legend

From the presentation:

I don't think the move more towards manual stuff has much to do with SPURs managing the timing of data sent to RSX..SPURs is a general framework for managing SPU tasks, but I think Acton is saying that one-size-fits-all isn't really possible, and he pointed out one bad example of SPURs usage. I am thinking if you were using SPURs, however, you would have control over when data is passed to RSX since it's still just running your code.

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I think it's a matter of designing the software in such a manner that you can predict the load, and can divide the loads as efficiently as possible, and give priority to loads as efficiently as possible. You'll want to change jobs as little as possible because changing the jobs requires a lot of overhead, no matter how well you do it, compared to not changing the jobs. In this case, tailoring your application to your exact needs should always allow more performance to be squeezed out of the system than any kind of general job management ever could.

5. patsu

Legend

This is what I thought too. Generally speaking, something like SPURS should be able to balance the load dynamically instead of statically. For them to prefer manual control, off the top of my head, it would mean that:
    (i) The workload is predictable (so they can allocate them statically to cut down overhead), or
    (ii) They are using some "hacks" to manage the data sharing and data flow carefully (like Deano's cache). So leaving it to SPURS can be "unpredictable".
    (iii) They want to optimize the cooperation between RSX and Cell "fully" (i.e., utilize both SPU and RSX fully, not to help RSX)

Of course I am guessing in the dark. :) It also depends on how high they are shooting (e.g., SPURS may be great, but they want "best in every situations").

EDIT: Yeah... I kinda lump Arwin's response as (i)

#5 patsu, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I think this is actually a key thing. It's all very well for a high class, low-level dev like Insomniac to say 'don't use SPURS - it's rubbish!' but for ordinary devs who want decent results with minimum effort, SPURS might be a smart choice. SPURS seems to me like a conventional sort of API overhead - it simplifies the job of development at a cost of peak power attainable.

7. inefficient

Veteran

I think Mike Action is basically saying SPURS type systems are still very immature and create more problems than they solve.

A complicated engine, although theoretically better, is harder to optimize compared to a simpler engine. A simpler engine that is theoretically less efficient, might use a brute force technique that you understand very well and can optimize the hell out of.

Similarly, their position on "Do we need a new language" to which his answer is basically NO. It's better at this point to use the languages we already have and understand very well.

I think the main take away is that you can just "hide" the main issues with extracting performance out of Cell by using some clever library like SPURS, or using some new fancy programming language, or by sprinkling pixie dust over your code. These no way out of getting your programmers to really understand the issues. And the best solution at this point seems to be "better programmers" rather than "better tools". So they have been focusing on a training program and knowledge sharing to improve their programing team.

It seems the quality of your coders is going to have the biggest impact on this particular platform. Which makes me smile a little bit.

8. SPM

SPM
    Regular

Interesting.

ie you should never ever make SPUs wait for other processes like you would with a conventional system. In a conventional shared memory multi-processor system you spawn many threads and make them wait on other threads in order make use of the results. On SPEs context switching to allow multiple threads to run on a single SPE is very expensive, so SPEs should never wait. They should be run as batch processors (or chained batch processors with the out put of one SPE feeeding the next SPE) which load process code into local store, run the process on many datasets in turn and store each result in turn in memory. When the batch processing for that type of dataset is complete, then load another batch process code into local store and process another type of dataset and so on. In games the screen frames may be used to syncronise batch processing with real time processing.

ie. the SPE is a awesome data processor, but not a good branch processor or good at elegantly manipulating complex structure structures in RAM. Rethink everything you have learned about data structures based on conventional shared memory processors, treat AI as boolean data to be batch processed, and the results left to be acted on later, as far as possible.

All this is simple and obvious, but conventional thinking gets in the way of writing good code.

9. Jesus2006

Regular

I think the BFS tree examples have shown that it's also quite performant with loads of random access patterns, just depending on the method of implementation (as so often).

10. Mike Acton

Mike Acton CellPerformance
    Newcomer

Power to the people!

We are not trying to be elitist here. I absolutely would make the same recommendation to any developer. As a matter of fact, for those developers with less parallel development, and specifically SPU, experience I would even say it's more important that they learn to do things manually.

Yes, there're optimizations that can only be done when you know the data and have designed the dataflow and system load yourself. But more than that, it's about what happens when things go wrong: If you don't understand how things work, "under the hood" as they say, you're going to be stuck spinning your wheels and trying totally random things if a system like SPURS crashes or doesn't give you the results you expect.

It's about fundamentally realizing that it's the developer that's responsible for how things are running (and the performance) - not the library or some other tool.

It's akin to my experience with good assembly coders: Good assembly coders usually know how to write high-level code that's fast. That's because they fundamentally understand what the compiler is doing and what trade-offs it's making and they are using it as a tool to speed their development - not a tool to replace their brain.

And, honestly, it's not that hard. We're talking about how to balance a load across six SPUs, not 128,000. Six. I'd hope that'd be approachable by just about anyone with a whiteboard and a pen. (And if it isn't, it's probably a sign that the systems are unnecessarily complicated anyway.)

Mike.

11. Mike Acton

Newcomer

It's a Poor Workman Who Blames His Tools

Yes, I am saying that these kinds of solutions cause more problems than they solve. The problem with them is that they disguise something which is very simple (load code onto SPU, DMA data around, repeat.) with something which is both more complex and more prone to failure. And that is nearly always because "general" solutions like this (and malloc, etc.) always try to solve every problem conceivable by the developers, all at the same time. How could that not be more complicated than just solving the problem you need to solve?

Right. As far as I'm concerned it's a completely academic discussion, which I'll let the academics work out. We need to make a game right now and anything that's not available to us right at this moment is off the table. If and when something is there, we can talk about it.

On top of that, for what we're doing at least, the language is simply not a bottleneck. A new language isn't going to make us think faster. A new language isn't going to help us design our data faster. At best we'd be able to type stuff in a little faster - but it's never once been the case were some feature couldn't get in the game just because we couldn't type it in fast enough.

I don't think it's ever been about "better tools", regardless of what anyone wants to believe. The problem comes in when people forget that tools are there to help us to our job better or faster, not to do the job for us. Our team is responsible for the product that gets in the hands of the players - we're never, ever going to tell them that we couldn't do something "because the tools wouldn't allow it." or because "it was too hard." Those are the poorest of excuses.

As programmers, we're not even close to perfect. But we're working hard to do the best we can with what we have and hopefully that shows in the end.

12. archangelmorph

Veteran

Amen to that!

I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today careerwise (or even throughout my academic training) if I adopted this mentality..

13. Crossbar

Veteran

Thanks Mike, everything you write make perfect sense to anyone with experience from development of performance critical software.

I think every programmer involved in such development should have some basic understanding of assembler of their target system to be able to evaulate the assembler output of the compiler. There are so many ways that you can help the compiler by resolving dependencies on a high level by proper declarations of access-functions and such or by organizing your code and data in a good way to enable efficient pre-fetch loads to registers, loop unrolling etc..

The compilers are often pretty clever, but if you don´t pay attention you can screw up things pretty badly by making a function call at the wrong place or something similar. After all the compiler can not be smarter than what the input of the programmer allows it to be.

14. Fdooch

Newcomer

Hello Mike!
    You mentioned some problems with devkits increase your iteration time.
    Did you mean write code - compile - run (debug) iterations?
    Do I understand correctly that you started using PS3 with Linux installed?

15. Mike Acton

Newcomer

PS3/Linux is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Yes. Not exclusively obviously, since there isn't access to the Sony SDK nor the RSX under Linux. But for SPU systems work, it's an ideal development environment.

We can compile, build and test quickly and easily under Linux without going through the extra steps needed with our development kits. A few of us have been doing this with good success, and I think we'll start to see some more use made of Linux over time. I'm personally a more of a Unix guy anyway, so it's great for me.

I would like to make something clear though: The PS3/Linux kits are great for development process of creating SPU systems, but I would not want to develop a game that runs on Linux. The OS would simply be too slow and get too much in the way. We much prefer the very thin OS that's running on the PS3 - ideally, there's as little as possible between us and the hardware.

Mike.

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

While you're here, is anyone looking into physics via rods, as demo's in the Rigs of Rods program that impressed Brian Beckman so much? This seems a physics model ideally suited to SPEs.

17. Titanio

Legend

Interesting. Looks like spring-and-mass systems, but using very stiff springs, and building what would traditionally be rigid bodies out of them. They are indeed very simple to implement..one of my first larger programming projects was a simple spring-and-mass simulation for cloth and soft bodies.

And yeah, for the same reason that SPEs are great with cloth and particle systems, so they would be good for this kind of stuff. I guess it's using the same way you'd simulate soft bodies, but now for harder bodies too. I found stability was always a problem in my simulations if you tried to make the springs very stiff, but evidently there are ways around that I guess.

18. Fdooch

Newcomer

Thanks for the explanation Mike!

19. DegustatoR

Veteran

Can you tell us what are these extra steps or is this NDAed?

20. Mike Acton

Newcomer

All the typical stuff

There's nothing to tell really. We have special development kits which have features and tools not found in the retail PS3s. We use special tools to communicate with the devkits, and to debug and profile on them. Having those extra features implies a bit of extra complexity in system. The details of those things are of course covered by NDA, but it's not really dis-similar from any other embedded development platform or even that much different from PS2 development.

Sometimes we just don't need all the extra stuff and something simple like just writing and running the code natively on the retail box is a win.

Mike.