Generic RAM

The549

Regular
What is the big deal with generic ram and price disparity? If I got a ddr400mhz with a cas 2.5, would there be any problems with it? And what about underclocked generic ram (ie ddr433mhz at 400mhz)?
My current ram is elixir 266, which workes fine up to 286, but I'm confused with this whole generic ram thing.

The549 said:
What is the big deal with generic ram and price disparity? If I got a ddr400mhz with a cas 2.5, would there be any problems with it? And what about underclocked generic ram (ie ddr433mhz at 400mhz)?
My current ram is elixir 266, which workes fine up to 286, but I'm confused with this whole generic ram thing.

Using generic RAM can often save you lots of money while keeping the performance level very similar to pricier brand-name RAM. However, they do have a lower ceiling in terms of overclockability, reliability, and compatibility.

If you got lucky and got generic RAM modules that satisfy your level of OC'ing, then life is good. Just hope your OC can be sustained for a long time and enjoy! :D

I've had generic RAM work where branded RAM doesn't, and vice versa. However, if branded RAM goes wrong, it is easily RMA'ed even years down the line and even if the reason is a problem with some new motherboard that wasn't around when you bought it.

My experience is that branded RAM is a little pickier about motherboard compatibility, although I may have just been unlucky.

IMO buying branded ram is really not worth it.
I've never had a problem with generic ram, and in most tests, hugely expensive high performance branded ram offers little in extra performance, even though it can be up to 4 times more expensive.

There are actually only a few factories that make RAM. So, generic "unbrokered" RAM is actually the 'left over' RAM discarded by the big manufacturers. The chances are that generic RAM is usually fine at it's rated speed - but it's a gamble. Some of the most difficult problems to diagnose are due to 'slightly' faulty RAM. This often manifests itself when you try and install Windows, in seemingly random Stop errors and random crashes. Personally I always think it's worth paying a little extra to avoid this.

Back