General Question about dielectrical insulating material @130

Robbitop

Newcomer
SiLK was a Project for 130nm to reduce the capacity of the insulating Material. It often called "Low K Dielectric".
But till today SiLK is thermical unstable.
There are 2 other "low quality" options:
FSG and "Black Diamond"
Both of them got quite low electrical capacity but not as well as SiLK but they are an Alternative.

Now here's my Question:
Is FSG the basic version on 130nm for insulating material?
If yes, NV30/NV31 must be equipped with.
If not, FSG MUST be the reason for lower Power Consumption of NV35/36.

Dunno if FSG is sth special or not...please help!

P.S. sorry for my terriblly english :(

and what Solution would be possible für NV40/R420?
Black DIAMOND/FSG/SOI(I dont believe, because too expensive)??

Dave wrote
With the change from RV350 to RV360 an enhanced version of the 130nm LV process became available with a new "Black Diamond" insulating material with a lower capacitance than FSG and hence a lower dielectric constant (k). This gives rise to the term low-k 130nm process and this facilitates even faster transistor switching, thus greater speeds.

And with some hints on the forums it seems that the R420 should use same process.

What is the different design constraint that makes it so low-k dielectrics were tapped to play a role in upcoming GPUs, while Intel for example is touting a high-k dielectric for its Terahertz transistor in development?

Are the dielectrics being referenced the same part of a transistor?

Re: General Question about dielectrical insulating material

Robbitop said:
P.S. sorry for my terriblly english :(
Your English was fine except for "terriblly," which should be "terrible." Nothing to be ashamed of--I've seen worse from native English speakers! :)

thank you very much ... "Terribly" was taken from google translator *gg*

@3dilettante
in CPU sector low k dielectric is standard for years...but low k dielectric is a relative factor. Target Material for LowK is SiLK, which is thermical unstable till today. Every other materials are "low-Quality" options but no hi K

but my fist question was if BFG is an improvement in electrical insulation or just the basement @130nm...

or let me change the question: are NV30/31 produced with BFG
and how about NV35??

I certainly know NV36/RV350 are produced w/ BFG

Robbitop:

UMC lists FSG and Low-K as two different options for interconnect, indicating that at least they don't consider FSG to be a Low-K dielectric (dunno what they use for the Low-K material or if their Low-K solution is even stable yet.)

SOI vs bulk silicon is, AFAIK, a totally separate issue from the FSG vs Low-K dielectric issue. You can have any combination you like.

3dilettante:

Low-K dielectrics (K<3) are used to reduce the capacitance between the interconnect wires in the metal layers (thus cutting interconnect RC delays), whereas High-K dielectrics (K in the range 10-400) are intended as replacement for the insulating gate oxide within the transistor itself (higher K => thicker dielectric at a given transistor performance level => exponentially less gate leakage, less process variability, better transistor performance). You can easily use both in the same chip (except that High-K dielectric processes are far from mature yet)

true lowK Dielectric is SiLK..but this material is thermical unstable.
FSG and Black Diamond are different Materials with lower Capacitys than other materials ...so that must be a step forward..is'nt it?

Back