General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

They were explosive, of course.

2. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

All of those questions are easily answered by "it was baseless bullshitting".

Production pipelines are well oiled machines, they get scheduled based on a hundred suppliers feeding the main assembly like foxconn etc... It doesn't just start as soon as there's a hole next week at tsmc. We have so little data this is a little stupid to speculate based on tsmc schedule in april for a launch in november.

3. Proelite

Veteran Regular Subscriber

AquariusZ is a TSMC insider. He has a good track record for leaks but his conclusions on them are juvenile.

4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

He's leaking the client list and never got caught, and none of the clients ever changed the codename?
    It's not like they don't know it's being leaked, or maybe it really doesn't matter if it's known.

5. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

It's too late to change anything in the game. The leaks don't protect anything. If Sony needs a re-spin they'll figure it out eventually and just eat the cost of poor yields until they do. That's the life of chip development.

I don't see how a late reveal for the PS5 is a bad thing. The key is the price and quantities available at launch. The performance envelope we know already.

DSoup likes this.
  6. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

Remember that Arden it´s not going to serve just the home market, they have to install them in data centers worldwide. I think Ms will ramp up Xcloud with Arden asap

McHuj likes this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

We mostly know, or know most of the time.

Proelite, RobertR1 and Jay like this.
  8. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

The top end of the envelope yeah.

Edit: guess Brit already beat me to it.

Tommy McClain

9. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

They can still delay it: nothing has being confirmed by Sony AFAIK

10. Rangers

Legend

Corona seems to be tuckering out just enough this is not much concern, especially in China which is really what matters. Heck even TLOU2 I see got pretty rapidly rescheduled for just 3 weeks later.

A delay would not be used to amp up the power, it would just be the same console 3 months later. There's no benefit here.

Phil Spenser on a podcast IIRC did deny any XSX delay (of course not being absolute) and that was a month ago when the outlook was exponentially murkier. I had thought both consoles denied any delay, but googling just brought me to Gamestop denying any next gen delay. https://screenrant.com/ps5-xbox-series-x-no-delay-gamestop-ceo/

11. wco81

Legend

It's not just the supply they have to worry about.

Tens of millions of people are out of work.

A console is a highly discretionary purchase.

DSoup and Scott_Arm like this.
  12. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

It doesn't matter. There will be 10 times more that will still be able to buy even a $499 console. They are going to sell all the stock they have during the first few months. It's not like they will be able to make more consoles at launch than 7 years ago with the Covid-19 having slow down the production lines everywhere.

VitaminB6, BRiT, disco_ and 1 other person like this.
  13. disco_

Regular Newcomer

Don't remember if this was around CES or after but AMD said console APUs would be entering low volume production in q2 while full production beginning q3. That still seems to be the case.
    Wasn't AquariusZi the same guy who said oberon had so many revisions so late that he wasn't sure it would make it to launch?

Low/limited all the way through september/october IIRC.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3507-hw-news-rx-5700-stock-update-amd-false-advertising-lawsuit

#1073 disco_, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  14. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

I really think it's fine if PS5 delayed to March 2021 for more stable performance and lower BOM.

I guess PS5 has another revision so the previous SOC is not manufactured further.

No, he is not a TSMC worker.

He uses Chinese paronomasia to imply his company a lot of times. Not TSMC for sure.

disco_ and Rangers like this.
  15. Barrabas

Regular Newcomer

Will future revisions of the forum include a "Dislike" button? Ha ha just kidding:runaway:

disco_ likes this.
  16. Rangers

Legend

On twitter I guess Jason Schrier liked a couple tweets speculating on a Xbox event next week (yes, we're analyzing twitter likes now)

So I guess the gist is it seems likely there could be an Xbox event next week (giggity).

JPT likes this.
  17. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Yeah there is also a suggestion that it has something to do with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla too.

Tommy McClain

18. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You say with zero visibility on the demographics. Many people are not financially hurting, or hurting a little. If those are the people planning to buy a console then Microsoft and Sony have nothing to worry about. But fundamentally consoles are budget gaming devices [relative to PCs] and things like GamePass are aimed at those people on a budget and people who do budget day-to-day, week-to-week and month-to-month are those being impacted most by COVID-19.

I see plenty of talk in these forums of people waiting to buy games in sales so there is clearly a segment of people for whom gaming exist in a budgetary bubble. Because unless you have a rock solid guaranteed income for the next few years, or a comfortable next egg, unless your financial future is secure come Holidays 2020, a console would seem like a really poor investment even if you are a hardcore gamer - more so for those people with a family.

AzBat and Michellstar like this.
  19. fehu

Veteran Regular

Wasn't this the week for Xbox's news?

20. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

True, but thinking of my youth in Italy, purely as an example, you’ll find that many families who aren’t exactly “doing well” - whatever that means - will still be able to treat their kid(s) come Xmas.
    There is evidence to this, as the total market size for consoles has grown, and this has happened even with financial crisis after financial crisis, in the last few decades.

JPT, Aaron Elfassy, AzBat and 2 others like this.