GeForceFX fan from hell.....a reason why?

martrox

Old Fart
Veteran
While many seem to think the fan from hell located on the GeForceFX is due to it's being overclocked, I tend to look at it differently. Those that are familure with the AMD Athlon Throughbred will remember that, even though it uses less voltage, being a .13 part, it has a much smaller die size that accually requires a much better cooling solution. As die size decreases, you get much more heat coming from a much smaller area. It appears that, due to this, that nVidia has chosen to use both a heat spreader & a fan designed to power a small jet fighter(j/k) to cool it. Again, no condemnation of nVidia, just one of those unforseen problems with a smaller die size.....

Enterprising engineers should design some interesting ways to harness the excess heat. Space heater is obvious and requires no mods but what about a popcorn popper? :)

They need to sell a Caffeine Machine NV30 addon that traps the heat from the videocard and uses it to brew good strong java.

How much scavenging of the exhaust hot air by the intake vent is likely by their OTES type system...? I guess it depends on the direction of the I/O air streams & laminar flow. Anyone have an OTES card?

martrox said:
While many seem to think the fan from hell located on the GeForceFX is due to it's being overclocked, I tend to look at it differently. Those that are familure with the AMD Athlon Throughbred will remember that, even though it uses less voltage, being a .13 part, it has a much smaller die size that accually requires a much better cooling solution. As die size decreases, you get much more heat coming from a much smaller area. It appears that, due to this, that nVidia has chosen to use both a heat spreader & a fan designed to power a small jet fighter(j/k) to cool it. Again, no condemnation of nVidia, just one of those unforseen problems with a smaller die size.....

My own personal, probably flawed, prediction is that the lower MHz FX chips won't require jet-engine fans to cool...;) So if that happens it will probably disprove your current hypothesis. You also should check out the back of the card where the copper heatsink seems to cover a lot more area than merely the chip--and of course never actually touches the chip itself at any point. This denotes copious quantities of heat transferred through the PCB.

Also, never forget that most Athlon cpus are clocked an average of 3-5x faster than the 500MHz FX , and none of them that I've seen requires a similar type of "cooler". In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a "similar" type of cooler...;)

IMO CPU's and GPU's (VPU's ?) are way too different regarding power-consumption, transistor count, transistors spent on logic/caches, die size and targeted MHz range to be compared against in cooling scenarios.

No offense meant.

Back