Geforce GTX 285 launched - and no one took notice?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by CarstenS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Can this be? No thread yet about the most interesting new GPU this year (so far)?

Launch-Reviews are out today - let's see them!

2. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

It's a die shrink that offers a nice little 10-15% speed bump over the GTX 280. I wish I had one for my own gaming rig, but really not terribly exciting.

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I read a couple of reviews. Higher clocks, higher performance, and higher power consumption under load. Idle power is down to below GTX260 levels - gotta applaud NVIDIA for GT200's awesome power management.

All in all though, it seems the most exciting thing about this GPU is the effect it will have on GTX280 prices. :razz:

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I don't think anyone is that interested because its performance was completely predictable.

Its obviously nice to have a slightely faster single GPU but its not a lot faster, and its still slower than the dual GPU solutions, even the 4850X2.

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I took notice, I yawned.

6. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Indeed, here in Denmark the Radeon HD 4850X2 (2GB) is 38% cheaper compared to the cheapest Geforce GTX 285 so far.

Not to mention the Radeon HD 4870X2 (2GB) is actually $10 cheaper than the Geforce GTX 285.

7. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

yep its price makes it uninteresting

8. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Well, just pulled the trigger on a XFX 285 at ZZF for $345 (Far Cry 2 is bundled). I would've preferred a eVGA or BFG board, but didn't want to pay the extra $20-30. I'm running a 1GB 4870, which is certainly plenty powerful, but since I also use a 30" LCD the 285 is roughly 30%+ faster in the apps used at that resolution. At least based on the Tech Report/Extremetech/etc reviews I browsed over the last week.

9. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I think somewhere tuanies is crying.

On a serious note, I'm interested in your findings between the 285 and the 4870. I am guessing you are not a multi-gpu fan?

10. suryad

Veteran

Me as well. I have been eyeing a a pair of 285s meself to replace my setup and I am a big fan of SLI. Its rather annoying that even with the 8800 Ultras in SLI, and all that cpu power, FEAR cant be played with everything cranked at 2560 x 1600 (soft shadows, full aa, etc) though the AA honestly I can live without because there is not any that can be noticeable right away in terms of aliasing at that resolution.

11. homerdog

IIRC soft shadows can't be enabled alongside AA in F.E.A.R. Sorry I couldn't help it. :smile:

12. suryad

Veteran

Meaning it is disabled in the in-game settings? Because I sure as hell checked all the boxes :)

Not to go real off topic but I defragged my machine and boy did that improve the game performance! I am back to having 2560 x 1600 as my native resolution. I am now going to give the FSAA a shot or the soft shadows and see whats what! :) As you can tell I am a much happier camper. Combat is so much better when there is no lag or jerkiness!

#12 suryad, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  13. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Correct, the devs did it because of how poor the performance would be, atleast at the time.

14. pjbliverpool

Legend

You can check all the boxes but I think it just auto disables soft shadows if you enable MSAA.

There is a hack to get around it but performance is indeed terrible.

15. slapnutz

Regular

Owners with x2 6pin (and no 8pin) PCI-e power connectors noticed. :razz:

However if they are like me, they've held back to see what ATi response will be and also try and wait out until the 40nm cards come out in Q2/Q3.:smile:

16. homerdog

What's the hack?

17. suryad

Veteran

You know its weird. The game has a lot of glitches. Sometimes the sound gets jacked up when I switch into the 'slow time down and kick ass mode' it sounds like a foghorn when I hit that button. And then the game plays awesome for a while and then it just starts getting all slow and jittery. And then if I restart the game, or a new level loads up it clears out. Kind of ruining an otherwise awesome game. :( I may be running out of video ram or something.

18. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I'm like you :smile:

I like my Seasonic S12 600w, don't want to change it "just" for a graphic card :sad: And my gts 640mb is still ok.

19. slapnutz

Regular

Same here, my 8800GTX still works fine @ 1920x1200 mostly max ( excl crysis ) and I happened to buy my PSU just before the 8pins came out.

Its definately got enough power to feed any single chip GPU so I'm playing the stuborn/greedy/sensible card and waiting for the 40nm. (hoping for something like a x2 6pin gtx295 performance...please:razz:)

20. pjbliverpool

Legend

I can't remember i'm afraid. Should be pretty easy to find on google though.