GDC paper on compute-based Cloth Physics including CPU performance

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Broken Hope, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Broken Hope

Regular

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Perhaps more interesting is how much better the XB1 CPU is! Also the poor PS360 results, although PS3 probably isn't too bad at >50% efficiency.

3. MetalSpirit

Newcomer

I noticed that too! Wondering if it has something to do with API compatibility, because the CPU should not be ober 9,5% faster!
    Regardless of facts, the Xbox Cpu is 15% faster at this test.
    Also relevant is the final slide, where we can see that overall, the PS4 GPU can be almost 100% faster than the one in Xbox One.

4. Delta9

Regular

These two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Broken Hope

Regular

6. LightHeaven

Regular

They are not running the exact same code. On xbone they use Dx11 code, and on Ps4 they ported it to PSSL. They do state that the Ps4 might lead to better performance, though you have to manage it by yourself.

They also say the shader is bandwidth bound, but I couldn't find if their implementation uses esram on the bone or just ddr3... But it might explain the huge disparity in performance between them.

7. steveOrino

Regular

Now we can have a console war over who has more dancers per second :lol:

But in all seriousness I cannot wait to see what developers decide to run on the GPU over the next few years.

8. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

9. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

10. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

The compute performance gap certainly makes it look like Xbox main memory BW could be the culprit. Perhaps it's not an optimal case for the esram, or perhaps - being a practical implementation for use in games where buffers will likely always be filling the esram - it doesn't use it because it doesn't plan on using it ...

11. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

12. LightHeaven

Regular

I though about that too. I like to think that's something Ms took into account on their design, with the DMEs all that jazz to move data around, but I don't think anyone is using the esram with queue buffers, or something like that, removing data as the gpu finishes with them and moving data in before the gpu needs to use it, so I dunno if that design is even possible XD

13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

The PS3 SPUs are quite a monster... nice.

Anyhow, the XB1/PS4 CPUs are quite matched... however, the PS4 GPU performance is almost twice the performance of XB1 GPU. Go Cerny...

14. MetalSpirit

Newcomer

I highly doubt that! Why use DDR3 and not Esram?

15. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Yes it can do asynchronous compute too but PS4 is more optimized for it with 8 ACEs vs 2 ACEs.

16. MetalSpirit

Newcomer

Besides, 4 CU have 2 ALUs.

17. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Yes, and the PS4 doesn't have double the compute resources. It does have more than double the main memory BW though.

You can see on slide 55 the steps they took to reduce BW / vertex&normal, and on slide 58 that - predictably - you start with a copy from and end with a copy to external memory.

Even with iteration you can be limited by how fast you can get the data in and out of the processors cache - or in this case the GPUs local data stores. PS4 achieved much closer to its peak performance. Xbox One is bottlenecked. Most likely cause of such a big difference is the huge difference in main memory BW, imo.

18. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Does asynchronous compute work on top of synchronous compute? I was under the impression that it for work alongside the traditional rendering pipeline.

In other words, how are you proposing that asynchronous compute is adding 100% performance on top of compute shaders? Additionally, where are you seeing that they're actually using asynchronous compute in this benchmark? I can't see a single reference to it.

19. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Because if you're bandwidth limited on data that is largely a single read and a single write (or a copy in and a copy out) you're going to be limited by how fast you can DMA into and out of esram anyway (i.e. by the speed of the DDR3).

20. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Cell == 230 GFlops. Liverpool GPU == 1840 Gflops. Liverpool GPU == Cell * 8. Number of dancers = 16x Cell. So Cell ends up being less efficient than the GPU in this case. I guess that shows what compute is capable of these days!

That's just granularity. PS4 can extract more unused performance when things are busy. It shouldn't be generating a higher utilisation in a benchmark test where the GPU is focussed on the one task.