GC price drop tomorrow?

Xbox just might have to drop to $150 to keep beating the GCN in sales, all things considered.

I can picture GCN, 80 dollars cheaper than Xbox, with Mario Kart coming out very soon.. putting GCN way ahead of the 'Box in sales for at least a few months if MS doesn't cow-tow and go down to $150. They just have to! $80 is too much..

(posted this in the other thread)

Only problem with this price point is that they can't really go anywhere from here, cept maybe give away free games. A console for $99 is a great price point, however next year what will Nintendo do? Generally, the public would perceive a $69 or $79 console as a liquidation.

So, that said I think $119 w/a game may have been smarter, as it gives Nintendo some wiggle room for the next 2 years.

99 is the holy number for mainstream consumers, they dont care if it was virtually 99$ with a free games before, Joe Bloe, mom & daddy who will walk in the stores for christmas purchases this holiday will see 99$ vs 150$ and they'll already have made up their mind.

If the marketing is strong with Mario Kart DD, MGS-TTS, Roque squadron 3 (star wars is a huge mainstream seller) and Pokemon it could have massive sales.

If the price also drop in japan, its going to be crazy in the land of the rising sun for gamecube, japan is getting an awesome holiday lineup.

zurich said:
(posted this in the other thread)

Only problem with this price point is that they can't really go anywhere from here, cept maybe give away free games. A console for $99 is a great price point, however next year what will Nintendo do? Generally, the public would perceive a $69 or $79 console as a liquidation.

So, that said I think $119 w/a game may have been smarter, as it gives Nintendo some wiggle room for the next 2 years.

Well like you said, bundle games with the console. NES back in the days dropped price to 99$ after a year, what you do in the years after to attract gamers is an afterthought.

I hope Nintendo increase their spend on marketing and try and win over some of the older gamers Nintendo has lost.

If they don't then a price drop on its own, even with great games coming, wont mean much and will be a wasted oppurtunity.

In the race Nintendo is not actually doing badly just that it is perceived to be doing poorly. It also doesn't help that some developers are abandoning ship from the GC. Nintendo is a victim of its own success in games. Non-Nintendo games dont sell too well on the GC (exc. EA et al).

Perhaps Nintendo should do something more to encourage developers (one place I think the XBOX is certainly leading in).

Tahir said:
I hope Nintendo increase their spend on marketing and try and win over some of the older gamers Nintendo has lost.

If they don't then a price drop on its own, even with great games coming, wont mean much and will be a wasted oppurtunity.

In the race Nintendo is not actually doing badly just that it is perceived to be doing poorly. It also doesn't help that some developers are abandoning ship from the GC. Nintendo is a victim of its own success in games. Non-Nintendo games dont sell too well on the GC (exc. EA et al).

Perhaps Nintendo should do something more to encourage developers (one place I think the XBOX is certainly leading in).
3rd party tittles. Its the fact that they are released later on the system or suck. Look at soul caliber 2. It was released at the same time as the others and was a good solid game. Its selling the best on the cube.

jvd said:
3rd party tittles. Its the fact that they are released later on the system or suck. Look at soul caliber 2. It was released at the same time as the others and was a good solid game. Its selling the best on the cube.

I really don't think the 3rd party sales issue is as simple as "late or suck" (though this certainly deosn't help games sell).

In the case of Soul Calibur, the game includes Link, the second biggest character in Nintendo's lineup. What's more, it's Link done propperly - not in the kids cartoon style that seems to have turned off so many people.

Without Link being in the game, I strongly doubt that it would have sold as well as it did. I don't think it can be looked on as an "ordinary" 3rd party title, or as proof that quality, 3rd party titles will sell better (or even as well) on GC as on other consoles even if they come out at the same time. Infact you might even be able to argue it's evidence that games need the Nintendo touch for Nintendo console owners to take to them in large numbers ...

mhhh...

Does it mean that the other 'unique' characters into the other versions are less appealing than Link ?

Soul Calibur was exceptionnal, and I believe many Dreamcast owners went to NINTENDO, so that might explain why Soul Calibur II got a warm welcome on the Cube...

Yet there's so many parameters we can't conclude anything, we would need at least a dozen games released at the same date on all 3 consoles to see how well they sell, and conclude something approximately right.

Given the fact that there's far less NGCs as PS2, the SCII sell on the NGC become even more impressive, the ratio of NGCs owners having that game is even higher.

Ingenu said:
mhhh...

Does it mean that the other 'unique' characters into the other versions are less appealing than Link ?

Ofcourse it does. The Tekken-guy is like, :?: and Spawn?? That's even more of a :?: :?:

I think function bullseyed it quite nicely.

Agree, IMO Link played a huge role in selling SCII.

I'd like to add that the kiddie look of Link in Zelda:WW doesn't seem to not be "right" at all. It's the 3th best selling console game this year (as of August at least), being toped by GBA and PS2 titles... Still it's the adult Link that belongs in SC, no doubt about it.

To be honest I like much better playing with the kid Link in OoT, compared to the adult.

Back