GBA & GB SP questions

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
Owning a GBA for sometime and finding the lack of back lighting to be extremely annoying has convinced me to consider purchasing a GB SP. One other annoyance with my GBA though, is the noise/hiss that I can hear when I use headphones.

So I was curious if A> Other GBA owners hear this as well, and B> If GB SP owners hear this (with the headphone kit)?

Tks.

Ty said:
Owning a GBA for sometime and finding the lack of back lighting to be extremely annoying has convinced me to consider purchasing a GB SP. One other annoyance with my GBA though, is the noise/hiss that I can hear when I use headphones.

I don't hear a hiss, but I do hear a buzz on my GBA... but that's also audible on my GBC and both my DMG's, so I doubt it's "fixed" in GBA-SP.

When the GBA "boots up" there is a little bit but it mainly has to do with the sound engine the dev used during the given game. MIDI is "dirty" to begin with so it really has alot to do with how nice a set up the dev has. For example Nintendo's own kits are ok but you listen to a game like Golden Sun 1 or 2 (which I've recorded many very nice quality MP3's) and there is no "hiss". They've got thier own engine and modded kits to pull of some major sound. Probably the best of any portable game yet save Rayman 3. But if you are almost deaf and have to turn it up way loud than yes you'll get a hiss with alot of stereo equipment.

Also check your headphones. Try another higher quality pair.

Goldni said:
When the GBA "boots up" there is a little bit but it mainly has to do with the sound engine the dev used during the given game. MIDI is "dirty" to begin with so it really has alot to do with how nice a set up the dev has. For example Nintendo's own kits are ok but you listen to a game like Golden Sun 1 or 2 (which I've recorded many very nice quality MP3's) and there is no "hiss". They've got thier own engine and modded kits to pull of some major sound. Probably the best of any portable game yet save Rayman 3. But if you are almost deaf and have to turn it up way loud than yes you'll get a hiss with alot of stereo equipment.

Also check your headphones. Try another higher quality pair.

Not sure what would make midi inherently bad unless the samples were poor to begin with.

Fired up several games and they all have hiss/buzz in them, including Golden Sun1.

Also tried several pairs of headphones (from cheap to good) and it's the same. In fact I think the better ones probably made the hiss more promininent.

Oh well. Anyone with a GBA SP care to chime in?

I'd be getting another SP than. Mine is fine. You could try an inline filter for your headphones at Radioshack too.

Goldni said:
I'd be getting another SP than. Mine is fine. You could try an inline filter for your headphones at Radioshack too.

Oh wait. You have an SP? See, I have a GBA and was thinking about buying an SP but was worried about the hiss (that is in my and Tagrineth's GBA). But if your SP has none, that's great.

Back