GARTX: Games and Applications using RTX

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2019.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Thanks for the viddy Trinibwoy, it was easy enough for even me to understand and I found it fascinating!

One thing though, I'm not sure I always prefer how the ray-tracing looked over conventional. (just my personal opinion, but I like a bit of a gamey look I guess), and I am DEFINITELY sure that at this moment the effect isn't worth the performance hit. It's a great subtle effect sure, but 26% performance hit and that's probably best case scenario? No thank you, I'll wait until it gets a bit cheaper/more universal I think.

Well, unless someone wants to toss an rtx 2080 my way or something. ;)

CeeGee, trinibwoy and BRiT like this.
  2. Dictator

Newcomer

Pretty neat shadow differences so far with RT shadows ON vs. Off in the new COD.

Shadow Maps:
    [​IMG]
    RT Shadows:
    [​IMG]
    Shadow Maps:
    [​IMG]
    RT Shadows:
    [​IMG]

TheAlSpark, iroboto, Jozape and 3 others like this.
  3. DavidGraham

Veteran

Running RTX, I can do 4K60 "true 4K not DLSS" with my 2080Ti in this title.

milk likes this.
  4. chris1515

Veteran Regular

This is great Shadow maps is the most horrible visual artifact in games imo. it is visible everywhere in gameplay in cutscene.

pharma and Dictator like this.
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Great looking RT shadows. Terrible texture transition line.

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

pharma likes this.
  7. DavidGraham

Veteran

chris1515 likes this.
  8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Why on earth would you have performance graphs for the latest big graphical game with RT benchmarked on a 6 year old Haswell 4Ghz CPU?

DavidGraham likes this.
  9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Why wouldn't you? It's not like it makes a difference in this title, even if it would be running at stock it would still yield same results as i9-9900K overclocked to 5.2 GHz according to these results:
    https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-beta-test-gpu-cpu

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

At 1080p, 14 different CPUs across 8 generations and spanning 3-5Ghz, including all Ryzen generations, all have the same average and max framerate? Weird.

My comment wasn't really regarding performance though but rather the choice of CPU by Nvidia. A massive company wanting to sell their GPUs and either they a) benchmarked internally on some old Haswell, or b) picked a result from someone like the source you linked. Either way they chose that CPU? It's just seems stupid.

BRiT likes this.
  11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

You can also view it as "hey, even though you got old CPU you can still buy our top of the line GPU and get this"

milk likes this.
  12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

And they choose a $1k extreme edition instead of a far more common 4770 or something?

BRiT likes this.
  13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Nvidia shows signs in [2019]

I jest.

Malo likes this.
  14. pharma

Veteran Regular

Oct 29, 2019

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. pharma

Veteran Regular

Quake II RTX v1.2 Update: Download For Free For Improved Graphics and More Features
    November 26, 2019

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-v1-2-update/

16. pharma

Veteran Regular

Blender 2.81 Releases With NVIDIA RTX And Intel Open Image Denoise Support
    November 21, 2019

On the topic of performance, it seems that the biggest gains to be seen in 2.81 are with Intel’s Open Image Denoise for denoising (surprised?), and NVIDIA’s RTX and OptiX ray tracing engine for speeding up renders. We took a look NVIDIA’s take in-depth back in September, and saw ridiculous (in a good way) performance changes. As we integrate 2.81 into our testing, we’ll also look to expand to include RTX benchmarks in the relevant content (such as an upcoming ProViz performance look).

[​IMG]
    Here’s a performance example from our look at the alpha build of 2.81.

It’s easily seen here that RTX and OptiX can greatly improve rendering performance, something that wouldn’t just impact final renders, but also the viewport render mode. As we’ve found in the past, NVIDIA’s Turing architecture also powers the viewport quite well.

https://techgage.com/news/blender-2-81-releases-with-nvidia-rtx-and-intel-open-image-denoise-support/

Dictator likes this.
  17. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

Do you have any list of ME CAD software packages (such as NX, CATIA, Creo, Inventor, Solidworks, Bricscad, SolidEdge...) that utilize RT cores in realistic view (not scene rendering)?

18. pharma

Veteran Regular

Not sure what you mean by "realistic view"? Do you have a specific software application in mind?
    Some CAD software as AutoDesk Flame use RT cores to accelerate ML/AI algorithms.

19. Davros

Legend

I think he means the final render with all the effects applied, rather than a quick render you'd use while working on your scene

20. SpaceBeer

Newcomer

No, I mean quick render while working on model :) In mechanical design we don't use realistic models (for obvious reasons), but shaded with edges (99% of time). Though when design is completed, it is good to have quick realistic view, usually for documentation or quick sales support (there is no time for hours/days long renderings on our servers). E.g. Inventor has Realistic View, with Ray Tracing, but it is CPU only. It also has Studio environment for scene rendering, also CPU only (which sucks, but that's another story). Others have better scene rendering packages, with GPU support, but that is not what I would like (though it's good)

So we need something like this done on GPU

But as far as I know, there are no CAD packages who will utilize RT cores for such processes. I think they all still use CPU, except Solidworks (but only for Quadro/Pro cards, though there are registry tweaks for GTX). So I hope they'll implement it in Solidworks at least (most popular CAD software, like 50% marketshare)