GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portal with RTX Free DLC Available December 8, with Full Ray Tracing & NVIDIA DLSS 3 - NVIDIA

Portal with RTX’s full ray tracing is incredibly demanding, stressing graphics cards to their limits. But with the help of DLSS 2, owners of the GeForce RTX 3060 will be able to achieve playable frames at 1080p at High settings. For a 60 FPS+ 1080p, High settings experience, we recommend the GeForce RTX 3080, accelerated by DLSS 2.

And to enjoy the ultimate Portal with RTX experience at 4K, with Ultra settings, at over 60 FPS, we recommend the GeForce RTX 4080 with the amazing DLSS 3 enabled.

So it’s using RESTIR direct and GI? That’s pretty impressive to see in a shipping title so soon. Needing DLSS3 for 4K 60fps on a 4080 is rough but not terrible all things considered.
It's hardly a new shipping title. It was a collaboration project to enhance and old title with Nvidia to sell the 40 series.

Because it will run only on 40 series?
1080p60 (with DLSS quality so 720p internal) is not exactly what I would call playable on a monster GPU like a 3080. It goes without saying that this title is not really playable on anything below that caliber of GPU. It's obvious Nvidia wanted to sell Lovelace with Portal RTX.

Currently testing Warhammer. This is probably the least I have ever seen a game benefitting from Raytracing, while absolutely murdering performance.

I would not under any circumstance recommend Raytracing in this game.

Currently testing Warhammer. This is probably the least I have ever seen a game benefitting from Raytracing, while absolutely murdering performance.

I would not under any circumstance recommend Raytracing in this game.

6 core cpu with no smt/hyperthreading? Ray tracing generally murders my cpu and bottlenecks, but I see you're hitting gpu limit either way.

6 core cpu with no smt/hyperthreading? Ray tracing generally murders my cpu and bottlenecks, but I see you're hitting gpu limit either way.
I just showed my real cores. I have a 6c/12t CPU. Sometimes my performance will drop even if there is no CPU or GPU bottleneck. Pretty strange.

I just showed my real cores. I have a 6c/12t CPU. Sometimes my performance will drop even if there is no CPU or GPU bottleneck. Pretty strange.

Yah. I've noticed that as well. I think it's harder to see cpu limits by looking at utilization numbers. I'm pretty sure those moments where you see low cpu and gpu are related to having some driver-level bvh stuff bottle-necking. Maybe something single-threaded. Don't know.

Marvels Midnight Sun:
Ray-traced reflections and ray-traced ambient occlusion will take visual fidelity to the next level

And The Witcher 3:
On December 14th, all The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC players will receive a free update that adds various gameplay changes, new quest content, and new graphics features that take full advantage of the latest PCs and laptops.

Here’s what to expect:

• RTX Global Illumination (RTXGI) adds more immersive and realistic outdoor ray-traced lighting
  • Ray-traced ambient occlusion improves shading around objects occluding light
  • Ray-traced shadows improve the fidelity, clarity and visibility of shadows
  • Ray-traced reflections increase the accuracy and quality of reflections on bodies of water and other suitably reflective surfaces

So the Wicther 3 has the full package, shadows, reflection and GI/AO. GI is provided through RTXGI, I guess the only thing preventing the game from becoming a semi full path traced one is RTXDI?

We've talked a bit about ReSTIR in the past, but this is to our knowledge the first implementation of it in an actual video game.
To put things very simply, ReSTIR is a relatively new algorithm that can be used for all kinds of lighting in a 3D renderer. It is rather approximate compared to some other types of path tracing, but that allows it to be extremely efficient. That means scenes can include hundreds or thousands of lights with little additional performance cost.

NVIDIA's using ReSTIR here for global illumination (GI), which is essentially the counterpart to direct illumination. The latter is exactly what it sounds like: shading pixels based on how they are lit directly by lights in the scene. GI, then, is lighting the rest of the scene based on indirect lighting, particularly bounces from directly-lit sources.
Realistic global illumination is extremely difficult due to how computationally expensive it is. There are a lot of "fake" GI solutions in use in games; arguably, the presence of faked GI is one of the hallmarks of eighth-generation video games. With path tracing, there's nothing "fake" about it—we're modeling the way light traverses the scene in a realistic way.
NVIDIA says that the denoiser used in Portal with RTX is a new type that uses spatio-temporal data specifically for denoising path-traced graphics, and we have to admit that it works extremely well. In Quake II RTX and Minecraft RTX, it's very common to see a "shimmering" or "sparkling" pattern in dark areas. That's because the denoiser isn't able to fully stabilize the image due to the extremely limited number of rays being cast. There's almost none of that to be had in Portal with RTX. It's not completely flawless yet, but it's to the level that we doubt Joe Gamer would ever notice.

Probably the world's first RTX 2060 laptop running ReSTIR in a video game at a pretty stable 30 FPS!

2012840_20221208194006_1.png

Settings: High, motion blur off, DLSS Performance at 1080p and with RTXDI disabled in the developer menu (I've found it this improves performance quite a bit without impacting the visual identitity of the game!)

I even get 60 FPS with DLSS Ultra Performance (but yeah that looks terrible, still 60 FPS with ReSTIR on a 80W GPU is pretty impressive)

Yeah it is terrible, but terrible as in.. it would never be terrible if you were to use those actual resolutions.

Its amazing how trickery stuff can give you big perforamnce alongside with "presentable" image. I mean look at this, they both perform similary, yet one looks leagues ahead.

Personally, I've managed to run the default config (with 3 bounces, RTDI and RESTIR on), 1440p dlss performance at around 40-45 FPS on my 3070. I find the whole "it is unplayable, no card can run this" as hyperbole.

1440p dlss perf with 3 bounces;

3LoBGCW.jpg

ofc I would like to run this game at 4k/dlss perf at least, but at this point I can't ask for more. its a 3070. tbh, its not meant for path tracing but I'm grateful it can run it at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back