GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
F1 22 is out with additional RT options when compared to previous game:

Like F1 2021, F1 22 optionally uses ray tracing for shadows and reflections. Both qualitatively and in terms of frequency, however, the rays play a significantly greater role in the new part, which is primarily due to two reasons. Reflections are now used much more intensively, and at the same time it is possible in F1 22 to calculate the surrounding occlusion using ray tracing.

All three ray tracing variants, i.e. shadows, reflections and ambient occlusion, can be switched on and off separately in the graphics menu. Reflections are again divided into two groups: reflections on transparent objects such as glass and reflections on non-transparent objects (metal, puddles, etc.).

Additionally, there is an RT quality toggle that allows for Medium, High, and Ultra High options. This always applies to all four RT variants at the same time and cannot be specified for each option. Ray tracing is activated by default from the general graphics preset "Ultra high", all effects are then set to the RT preset "High".

When The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™ launches this September, GeForce RTX gamers can explore the game’s varied locations with immersive ray-traced reflections and shadows, accelerated by NVIDIA DLSS.
At launch, Steelrising will boast immersive ray-traced reflections, and its performance will be accelerated by the one and only NVIDIA DLSS.
+ more

Ray-traced reflections are available across the game for those with hardware that supports them. Reflections also have varied quality levels, one of which is a new, higher-quality ray-traced mode that offers even more city detail when web-swinging and fighting crime in Marvel’s New York.

I remember the good old times when people believed that raytracing will be limited to console quality after the launch of the next gen consoles. Now a console company like Sony is not only supporting PC exclusive features like DLSS, they are even improving the raytracing quality above the console level.

Hm. Isn't Spiderman on the PS5 running at 1440p60 in Raytracing mode?

Why is the Amazing RT preset needing so much more power? The 3070/6900XT is far more powerful than the PS5.

Hopefully they won't forget about the lower tier RT GPUs with a medium RT preset that is on par with PS5 RT performance mode.

Makes me a bit nervous about the optimization work to be honest. IMO High with RT should be renamed to PS5 RT Performance Mode and then leave Ultra for the higher end PCs that can afford it. Then the spec sheet would make much more sense (PS5 RT Performance Mode -> 1440p60 on 2060(Super)) and Ultimate RT would be as it is. Much better scaling.

Hm. Isn't Spiderman on the PS5 running at 1440p60 in Raytracing mode?

Why is the Amazing RT preset needing so much more power? The 3070/6900XT is far more powerful than the PS5.

Hopefully they won't forget about the lower tier RT GPUs with a medium RT preset that is on par with PS5 RT performance mode.

Makes me a bit nervous about the optimization work to be honest. IMO High with RT should be renamed to PS5 RT Performance Mode and then leave Ultra for the higher end PCs that can afford it. Then the spec sheet would make much more sense (PS5 RT Performance Mode -> 1440p60 on 2060(Super)) and Ultimate RT would be as it is. Much better scaling.
It is usually 1080p-1296p internally on PS5 with probably lower settings. It also is not a flat 60, it dips as John has covered

I remember the good old times when people believed that raytracing will be limited to console quality after the launch of the next gen consoles. Now a console company like Sony is not only supporting PC exclusive features like DLSS, they are even improving the raytracing quality above the console level.

This will still be a RT system designed for the constraints of PS5 in mind first, just cranked up to 11 on machines that can brute-force it. Its not like many hybrid rendered games made for PS/Series will have a full path traced graphics option this gen...

This will still be a RT system designed for the constraints of PS5 in mind first, just cranked up to 11 on machines that can brute-force it. Its not like many hybrid rendered games made for PS/Series will have a full path traced graphics option this gen...
Having played SMR on PS5 I wonder if it will be just higher detail reflections - or more reflections on PC. The latter would be a very welcome addition I'd say since reflection usage on PS5 is fairly limited and not that obvious most of the times.

That’s not a bad thing. The main obstacle is getting RT systems into game engines to begin with. Once it’s there most of the common effects - reflections, AO, shadows all scale up in IQ with more rays.

What’s baffling is why some developers are choosing to not include scalable options for future hardware. This is really annoying to me since I tend to play games 5+ years after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back