GammaChrome in Q3 2004

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by gunblade, Mar 18, 2004.

1. gunblade

Newcomer

Just read the press release about the announcement of the S3 new graphic chips.

Anyone knows the supposed pipeline configuration or marchitecture?

It seems to indicate it has full high end to low end line-up. Anyone think they stand a chance to give nv40 and r420 a run for the performance leader? Or is the nv40 and r420 considered ultra-high end where probably no others(PowerVr, S3 or XGI) can reach?

I know it is too early to tell, but they are available is mass quantity in the same timeframe as nv4x and r420 line. Oh is PowerVR series 5 coming out at the same timeframe to compete too, if Sega's adoption is any indication that is.

2. Megadrive1988

Veteran

Is GammaCrome DeltaCrome 2 or Destination Films?

3. elroy

Regular

Link?

4. keegdsb

Newcomer

Wanted to ask the same thing. It's been a while since I saw the S3 roadmap, but this would be a little early for Destination Films, wouldn't it?

5. Megadrive1988

Veteran

yeah I guess it would be too early for DF. I forgot DF is likely a DX10 part.

GammaCrome is probably the DeltaCrome refresh....

6. max-pain

Regular

S3 Graphics Announces the GammaChrome Family of Top to Bottom Native PCI Express Graphics solutions.

http://www.s3graphics.com/pressrel/2004_03_17.html

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

http://www.s3graphics.com/pressrel/2004_03_17.html

Possibly one of the least informational press releases in the history of 3d garphics. Even the DeltaChrome press release had way more information than this, and if the date on that one - January 7th, 2003 - is anything close to setting a precedent for time from announcement to market we'll se the GC at the earliest in May 2005... :twisted:

Edit: To slow...

8. vnet

Newcomer

I'm impressed with S3's way of adressing oner of their most major issues right now (lack of availability of their cards) : they paper launch their next gen card.
    Looks like a way for them to say they will ditch Deltachrome support in 4 months, just as they did for the Savage 4 and Savage 2000.
    History repeats itself.

9. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

"Just like they did"? This is an all-new S3, there should be few if any ties left to the old company.

Anyway, hopefully S3 will go for unified drivers for their product series just like NV and ATi, so hopefully no more ditched support for older chips...

Btw, wonder when NV will ditch the TNT. I'd say it's a bit overdue for being put out to pasture, but maybe that's just me. :)

10. StealthHawk

Regular

Man, S3 makes some really early paper launches. IIRC, DeltaChrome was "launched" over a year ago and it still isn't available. Sheesh. Talk about overzealous hype.