gaming podcasts 2010 - favorites and highlights

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Hi there,

As I'm even more of an avid gaming podcast listener than I was last year or even in 2007 when I first made a thread about them, I thought it was time to start another one, also to discuss some of the episodes or point out highlights that should not be missed.

Currently, I listen to all of these, in order of appearance on my phone. Weekly unless stated otherwise:

- Weekend Confirmed (Garnett Lee's show at Shaqnews, usually up Friday/Saturday)
- Gamers With Jobs (wednesday)
- Player One podcast (Monday)
- Giant Bombcast (wednesday, usually a little while after GwJ)
- Eurogamer.net (mostly on Tuesdays)
- In This Thread (formerly 4 Guys 1up, usually up Friday/Saturday - 1UP.COM)

The following I don't always listen to, either because they don't appear weekly, or because I don't get round to them. Beyond and Playstation Nation are Playstation specific podcasts.

- Idle Tumbs (no longer appears regularly unfortunately, but one still comes out every now and then
- Podcast Beyond (usually up by Friday, by IGN.COM)
- Kotaku Talk Radio (just started this one, but it seems decent - biweekly I think, also mid-week)
- Playstation Nation (usually up by Friday)

Eurogamer.net #27 - Charles Cecil

Eurogamer.net #27 - Charles Cecil

The podcast that triggered the creation of this thread. Charles Cecil's appearance on the Eurogamer.net podcast takes what is otherwise a slightly average podcast (that I nevertheless love and faithfully listen to each week) to a new level. The man is a brilliant and loveable chap and a lot of things he has to say make absolute sense. There are some interesting comments on digital distribution versus print (developers get 7% of a copy on the shelves, versus 70% from most of the bigger digital distribution channels like the AppStore, making a $4 game there twice as profitable as a $20 game on store shelves), but one of the absolute highlights in it is the link between Broken Sword, Dan Brown's book, the movie of the book, and the game of the movie.

Don't miss it!

I listen to Weekend Confirmed and In this Thread.

My first exposure to podcasts was the 1up podcast (various names, 1upyours, etc) hosted by Garnett, the days of Garnett, Luke, Shane, and John. A virtual all star cast. Mark McDonald was also a regular and later David Ellis.

Then the great 1up purge happened (when it was bought by UGO and many staff downsized). The podcast was never really the same. It really ended when the last link to the past, Garnett, left for Shacknews.

David Ellis carried on the podcast for a while but I found him a pretty boring host. It got to where I barely bothered anymore.

Then Garnett started Weekend Confirmed, which has probably become my defacto podcast again. I've gotten to like cohosts Jeff Cannata and Brian Leahy fairly well, though I dunno if they match up to the 1up originals and theyre a bit bland.

But I still listen to the remnants of the 1up flagship podcast and whatever they're calling it this week (In this thread) as well. But it's definitely secondary. I dont even know who most of the voices talking at me on that show are any more. They all sound a lot alike and dont have good or distinctive radio voices (most everybody on 1upyours definitely did!). But still, sometimes it's surprisingly interesting. Jeremy Parish, an old schooler natch, is the best one.

I have a longer drive to work since I moved so I have time for both. In fact actually both podcasts combined usually dont occupy my full weekly commute time.

Overall though I've gotten a bit burnt out and jaded on podcasts. I listen to them because they're usually better than the radio alternatives on the drive to work, that's about it. Many of the discussions have taken place a million times before. They dont have that new spark to me anymore, but I still listen to those two fairly regularly, especially weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
In This Thread | 07/16/2010

Description from 1up themselves:
It's a healthy(?) mix of good and bad in this week's news roundup, with stories on cancellations, layoffs, people being called pricks, Double Fine's new projects, and obese hedgehogs. InstantAction CEO Louis Castle joins Ray, Matt, and Frank in discussing this week's topics, and his company's cloud gaming platform.

InstantAction's CEO makes this week's episode well worth listening to.

Rangers said:
Overall though I've gotten a bit burnt out and jaded on podcasts. I listen to them because they're usually better than the radio alternatives on the drive to work, that's about it. Many of the discussions have taken place a million times before. They dont have that new spark to me anymore, but I still listen to those two fairly regularly, especially weekend.

Absolutely true that the same discussions recur time and again. I'm actually planning a series of articles on the gaming discussion 'stablemates', and then keep them up to date whenever new arguments arise and/or situations change.

I really like "Gamespot presents the Hotspot". I think it goes live Tuesday night every week. Wednesday morning if you live in Europe.

Back