Gaming Podcast Compendium of Knowledge

tha_con

Banned
Welcome to the Gaming Podcast Compendium of Knowledge!

Here we can discuss, rate, recommend, and slag some of our favorite (or least favorite) Gaming Podcasts.

In the OP, I'll list up some popular shows, and possibly some that are a bit more "obscure". If you have any recommendations, please feel free to let us know and I'll add it to the OP!

Enthusiast Press Podcasts

ListenUP - Formally known as "1up Yours", ListenUP Brings Garnett Lee, John Davidson, David Ellis, and occasionally a guest 4th Chair. Regular segmenets include "Whacha Been Playin" where members discuss what games they are currently playing; Johns "iPhone game of the week" and finally, their News discussion. Length usually runs from 1:30 to 2:30+ (Hours). Show "airs" every friday (with occasional changes).

Developer Podcasts

The Full Moon Show - Courtesy of Insomniac Games, we receive the bi-weekly "Full Moon Show". Each Season Insomniac will discuss games currently in development, studio news, and other semi-regular segments (such as "I want your job"). Also a highlight of the show is their "Mystery Guest". IG brings a guest on air from another development studio to talk about their games, technology, and anything else they can muster up. Length usually runs from 1:00 to 2:00 (Hours).

Shouldn't we include links?

Adding lineup as well.

The ones I know. Listening to them depends on you liking people's personalities, so I won't recommend any.

Two more in the vein of ListenUp! are Bombcast and Idle Thumbs. These are more typical podcasts, just a bunch of guys talking about games and news. They're funny, but a bit heavy on memes. Idlethumbs lately has been a bit grating, IMO, but their musical numbers are pretty cool. Idle Thumbs lineup is Chris Remo from Gamasutra, Jake Rodkin from Telltale Games and Nick Breckon from Shacknews.

From former 1up alums you have Rebel FM and Geekbox. The former is again like ListenUp!, but they do reader mail and try to talk about a theme every week. The latter isn't exactly a gaming podcast, but they do cover games. But they also talk about other geek pop stuff, so there's comic book and movies and TV shows. Geekbox is Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, Greg Ford and Ryan Higgins -- everyone but Higgins is former 1up. Rebel FM is Anthony Gallegos (former 1up, former Brodeo, now Gamespy), Arthur Gies and Typer Barber. The last two are freelancers.

Gamers with Jobs is one I don't listen to anymore, mostly because a few of the personalities just annoyed me too much. They do occasionally have good guests, like they had Ken Levine a couple of times. Amazingly, it has very little to do with 1up/EGM or even with gaming press/industry. That's sort of its appeal, it's focused on a slightly older crowd, some focus on gaming with children.

The mobcast is also by a bunch of 1up alums. Only two posted podcasts so far, but the idea is to discuss themes: everyone on brings a theme and they talk about it. I do believe they have a 'what you've been playing' segment as well. Robert Ashley is listed as producer, so he seems to be a regular. This is important for those of us who are Robert Ashley fans. (Greg Ford, Dan Hsu seem to be regulars besides Ashley, though maybe Michael Donahoe and Demian Linn are as well -- all former 1up/EGM)

Out of the Game isn't really a gaming podcast either, but it does involve gaming personalities. It's a bunch of ex-Brodeo folk (Robert Ashley, Shawn Elliot and Jeff Green) plus a couple of other folk (N'Gai Croal and Luke Smith of Bungie).

Gamespy Debriefings are much like Listen Up! A couple of Brodeo folks there too (Anthony Gallegos and Ryan Scott, along with one of the Gamespy EICs, Will Tuttle). I've only started listening to it, don't have a strong opinion yet.

Penny Arcade and Mega64 have podcasts. They're not too interesting, though. PA's seems to mainly be a 'making-of' the comic, in which they discuss current gaming events and brainstorm their way to it. Mega64 is mostly commentary on podcast production, also in video format. I can't find the link for PA's.

1up in general still has a ton of podcasts. There's Good Grief, which is sort of fluffy, but generally has a good discussion of free games thanks to Scott Sharkey. Retronauts is okay if you're into that sort of stuff... it does reek strongly of arrested development, especially with certain guests (I still listen to it). Jeremy Parish hosts Retronauts, common guests are Ray Barnholt and, unfortunately, Chris Kohler. Good Grief is Tina Sanchez, Sam Kennedy, Scott Sharkey (all 1up), Chris Plante (UGO).

What They Play is a very all-encompassing podcast. It discusses mostly recent releases, some recent news, but the focus is not on the hardcore. Since it's on a website that is directed at parents they will, in fact, talk about E for Everyone games and licensed games and everything else. A bit dull, but it's also fairly unique in its coverage. For those who dislike John Davison's description of Free to Play MMOs on ListenUP!, they'll probably dislike this.

Oh, there's also A Life Well Wasted, which is about videogames in general, but not about specific games. It's a bit hard to describe. It borrows its style from This American Life and is pretty good and pretty different from just about every other podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome stuff dude! I will put those in the OP. Your work far exceeds my own :p I just wanted to get things started. There's a great wealth of knowledge in these podcasts, be it small things like news and hints, or technical info.

What about Played? :)

Here is the blurb:
We love video games! We feel that with our Podcast we bring a unique perspective to video game commentary that is both entertaining and informative. We think our show has a certain professional quality to it that seperates it from most of video game Podcasts out there.

Chris Remo, who works for Gamasutra.com, brings an up-to-the-minute journalistic view to the show. Elizabeth, a hardcore gamer and community manager at 2K Games, brings both a female and industry perspective. And Mark, who works with the Federal Government, is a Network Engineer and has been a hardcore gamer all his life bringing a ton of opinions with him.

Join us in our shenanigans and tomfoolery for we have a lot to say!

IGN has a full stable of podcasts for various platforms. Podcast Beyond is on my weekly rotation for PS3, though the guys tend to be shouty, when they're not singing.

Another Sony targeted podcast I like is the PlayStation Nation Podcast, which is a couple of heavy drinking guys up Wisconsin way chatting about PlayStation and making lots of "Chuck's Mom" jokes.

Overall, me, I have to give the edge to the Giant Bombcast. I'm a huge fan of Jeff Gerstmann et al, and they are fun to listen to, and know what they're talking about.

I used to really enjoy the Game Theory podcast, done by a couple of guys from Next-Gen / Edge Online, but they have gone away. :cry:

Listen Up is the only podcast I listen too. Even though I have my issues with Listen Up, whenever I try to listen to another podcast they typically sound either exceedingly boring or amateurish (IGN's 360 podcast, 3 Red Lights, being a good example of the latter). Also, even Listen Up alone gets tiresome, theres only so much time you should spend weekly listening to a video game podcast before you become just too much of a loser :LOL: Even Listen Up alone often gets long and repetitive at 2+ hours. If you listen every week you tend to hear the same discussions over and over. Nowdays, I often skip boring segments and such, which I didn't used to do in the past.

It also annoys me how much Listen Up tends to focus on gimmick games that I'll never play, I cant express how many hours theyve spent discussing things like Peggle, or the pixeljunk games, or handheld puzzle games in general, such that I never want to hear a word about those games again. John Davison is a particular offender, he's upbraided other cast members in the past over being insular and not in tune with what millions of mainstream gamers are really playing (Aka Wii, Korean browser MMO's, etc). Yet I find it ironic he spends countless hours discussing niche Iphone and PSN games that probably in comparison to many other games, almost noone plays.
*mod-edit*

But one thing Listen Up does come through with is it's epic event podcasts, whenever something like E3 or GDC or Pax comes up. They've already revealed they'll be doing a podcast to recap and discuss the events after every single day of E3, along with I'm sure an epic, everybody gets drunk, 3+hour, come one come all, final E3 podcast, and I'm looking forward to it as usual.

Try Gamers with Jobs, I think you may like it.

Anyway, most podcasts seem to be here. Just missing one really, which is:

Player One Podcast
While I don't always like it as much as some podcasts, I've listened to quite a few episodes. The guys here are quite the industry veterans with a lot of knowledge and experience behind them (ex EGM editors among others). They're not so serious now in terms of journalism, but they are still often quite entertaining to listen to.

And I want to add that Gamers with Jobs (they are actually people still working in the industry I think), mentioned in obonicus' excellent recap, is currently one of my favorites, together with Idle Thumbs, although they've been in a bit of a slump these last two weeks.

Also, I'd love to try and make a podcast with some of you guys if you're up to it.

http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/the-sarcastic-gamer-podcasts These are some of the podcasts I like to listen to.

Sarcasticgamerradio, this is a podcast about the community over at sarcasticgamer.com. It doesn't really cover any news about games, just the games or demo's they've been playing. Next to that they do a lot of stuff sarcasticgamer is known for, parodie-ing stuff and making fun of every console equally. It's a nice break from the more serious podcasts, and it's good to laugh about your favourite console every once in a while.

SarcastisgamerPlaystationPodcast or the Blue show, this is their Playstation podcast, covering all the recent Playstation news, rumours, games they've been playing. Although it's slightly more serious then sarcasticgamerradio, it still contains a lot of humor.

I also like to listen to Insomniac's FullMoonShow. It's good to keep you updated on their current game and their continues support of their Resistance games. The mystery guests are also nice with Insomniac interviewing other developers that aren't necessarily developing for Playstation console's.

Listen UP (or ex 1UP Yours) is by far the best gaming podcast I have listened too, possibly thanks to unbelievably terrible others out there. I mean, IGN for example, has a lot of money, how hard can it be to find someone that can host and play games?

But also Garnett, as poor as he is as a gamer, is a great host. The guy knows all the donts of podcast business, maybe except the drunkenness limit in big gaming events. He is also doing a decent job of keeping conversation fluent. He is getting a little slow lately though, I wonder if he is having ear troubles.

John is a fairly intelligent guy, but indeed sometimes talks too much about the stuff avarage gamer doesn't care about. I'm glad iPhone talk has been cut back, but I like listening about original games or interesting ports on that platform.

David is a young fanboy in training but he is doing a better job of restraining himself from trolling certain platforms nowadays. Plus, the fact that he tries to think and have an intelligent conversation, while certainly not there yet, will surely lead to a good journalist when he grows up.

Forth chair too, whomever he may be, is generally fairly active with positive contributions.

I think those guys have been doing a good job in the absence of Shane, the gaming celebrity, walking encyclopedia and grandmaster fanboy.

Hey guy's, I really appreciate the contructive discussion, however, I think we'd be better of discussing the podcasts themselves, rather than the "bias" of any of the said podcasts.

That said, has anyone here listened to the Full Moon Show yet?

The latest episode talks a lot about developments of Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and their road map to E3.

They also touch base on their recent weapons contest, and their mystery guest from Sucker Punch was quite entertaining as well (with some good info on inFAMOUS). I highly recommend you all check this out, these guy's do a great job.

[/fanboy]

Listening to this weeks Gamers with Jobs podcast at the moment. They've done a small meetup (calling it Rabbitcon after the host) where everyone brought games they wanted to share with others. In the first session they discuss what they've played, and apart from Punch Out, Infamous, Harry Hadsworth, Zero7, they played a lot of live rpgs, like Battle Star Galactica and board games (History of the World for instance).

I'm going to listen to this weeks Giant Bombcast later in the day.

I'm pretty excited for this week / next week, as a lot of podcasts should get some really interesting special guests. Hopefully we can get some pre-E3 info from some of them :D

Back