Gaming OS

Sonic

Veteran
Part of this was stolen from the Apple thread in the hardware forum. Just thought it would be better to make it its own so that doesn't go completely off topic.

The advantage to having an OS that has games is pretty obvious. Since I play a lot of PC games and want the best performance I want then I need to use Windows. If Apple had even a quarter of the games released on the PC and they were up to date releases at that then I am sure a lot of people would switch.

PC gaming is very different from console gaming in the fact that you do have a keyboard and mouse. Some games are much easier to play this way, others are horrible. First person shooters, strategy games, and MMORPG's like World of Warcraft are very nice on a PC with keyboard and mouse. Fighting games, racing/driving games, action games are better on a console. That's just the way it is. Some people like to pick up and play (the majority these days) while others like configuring each individual game to suit their needs to no end. It really depends on the person. I do both because I like all types of games, but I do prefer a console over a PC any day of the week. However, playing WoW on a console would not interest me especially in PVP, unless they could get the controller combinations down very intuitively.

I suspect the Windows environment, aside from Direct X, isn't that good of a place to have games. There should be an entirely different gaming OS out there that gives little overhead and makes the configuration of games easy for the standard person. I should be able to store my preferred settings for all games in the OS settings and it should do that for all games until I deem otherwise on a specific basis. One thing that would be good is to be able to change certain graphical settings in games without the need to restart.

Would a Unix based OS be better in terms of performance for gaming over Windows?

Sonic said:
The advantage to having an OS that has games is pretty obvious.
Is it? It's not to me.

Since I play a lot of PC games and want the best performance I want then I need to use Windows.
If by performance you mean hardware performance then you have half a point (they've driven desktop CPU development to some degree), however games currently require very expensive graphics cards which are pretty much useless for all other applications. But these are hardware issues, not OS issues.

PC gaming is very different from console gaming in the fact that you do have a keyboard and mouse.
The addition of a keyboard and mouse is (or should be) a minor issue for any competent modern operating system. Are you confusing operating system with user interface here?

I suspect the Windows environment, aside from Direct X, isn't that good of a place to have games. There should be an entirely different gaming OS out there that gives little overhead and makes the configuration of games easy for the standard person. I should be able to store my preferred settings for all games in the OS settings and it should do that for all games until I deem otherwise on a specific basis. One thing that would be good is to be able to change certain graphical settings in games without the need to restart.

Would a Unix based OS be better in terms of performance for gaming over Windows?
It seems to me that you're asking for minor tweaks to the user interface plus some sort of central database to store settings (a registry, if you will). Neither of these are really operating system issues (not if you live in a non-Microsoft world at least). They're also pretty trivial to implement (compared to writing an OS from scratch).

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting that the addition of a keyboard + mouse to an XBox is impossible because of some magic barrier which makes XBox incapable of supporting them?

Are you sure it's not just marketing driven?

Back