Gaming laptop - enough memory?

MistaPi

Regular
I mainly game on consoles nowadays, but I need a new gaming PC for (real-time) strategy games, occasional fast-paced FPS like upcoming Witchfire, hack and slach games like Diablo 4 and some MP gaming like WH4K Darktide and Redfall. Will 16GB RAM and 8GB VRAM (3070(Ti) mobile) be a big limitation for me this generation, as in I have to reduce graphics settings considerably to not run out of memory?
Gaming laptops with 32GB RAM and 10+GB VRAM are just so expensive.

There are a lot of models out there that allow for ram upgrades. Obviously that will not help on the graphics side.

Is there a reason you are going laptop and not a desktop ? If its size you can get a lot of small form factor builds that will house even 4080s

Is there a reason you are going laptop and not a desktop ? If its size you can get a lot of small form factor builds that will house even 4080s

I have a desktop + laptop combination today and I also need a new laptop so I was thinking about combinding the two since I rarly use my PC for gaming anymore. One less device and save some money. I am not looking for high-end PC gaming, but descent performance and again not to be considerably limited because of low memory.

By this generation do you mean this console generation? We're still relatively early and it may last until circa 2028 by some estimates.

This is a question that is tricky to answer even with hindsight. 16GB (ram)/8 GB (VRAM) would be akin to 8/4 for last gen. Was that enough? I think you can debate either way. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to be on 8/4 the entirety of last gen.

The biggest differentiator will be texture settings essentially, so in large part it depends on how you feel about that. It also depends on how you feel about "outliers." Many games could likely be fine, as we saw with last gen, while there will be a subset ("significant" depending on how you look at it) that you will certainly have to deal with lower texture settings.

16/8 has been basically fairly mainstream accessible on the desktop at least since circa 2016, that's over 6 years now. It's really moved to the low end now I'd say firmly this year with how the product stacks are shaping up. So that's the unfortunate reality, 16/8 at least in the desktop product stack is the low end now for purchases going forward.

The other reality is manufacturers know this and will use it to market segment (memory upgrades are often high margin) and have built in obsolescence. Otherwise in general upgrade cycles are ever trending upwards.

Yeah I think I should get a PC with more memory to be on the safe side, especially regards to the risk of having a "outlier" to be the game I want to play on PC. It's frustrating that even 4070M only have 8GB VRAM and that's laptop's in the $2k - 4k range.

Thanks for the responds.

I have a desktop + laptop combination today and I also need a new laptop so I was thinking about combinding the two since I rarly use my PC for gaming anymore. One less device and save some money. I am not looking for high-end PC gaming, but descent performance and again not to be considerably limited because of low memory.
I'd hold off then until the 4x00 series start appearing on laptops. Hopefully by then you can get a larger vram option

RTX 4xxx laptops aren't going to move VRAM up at his price point I'm guessing. The lowest end goes up from 4GB->6GB and 6GB->8GB. Greater than 8GB is reserved for the 4080 and 4090 SKUs which I guess will be quite expensive.

Haven't really been able to discuss this also due to the subforum being locked but with DLSS 3 (the defining gaming feature for Ada) so far only tested on very high VRAM cards it hasn't been looked into but how much more VRAM does the the frame generation feature also use? Because that might put further added pressure once we move to 8GB and lower configuration.

Yeah I think I should get a PC with more memory to be on the safe side, especially regards to the risk of having a "outlier" to be the game I want to play on PC. It's frustrating that even 4070M only have 8GB VRAM and that's laptop's in the $2k - 4k range.

Thanks for the responds.

That's the problem with a laptop especially if RAM is also soldered. On a desktop RAM is for sure just a drop in upgrade from 16GB->32GB, no real risk to go lower if you have to. Even with the GPU you might be out maybe a $100-$300 worst case factoring resell if the 8GB card isn't enough? But non mac laptops basically have horrendous resell devaluation which means you eat a lot of costs if you it's not suitable.

I'd try to go for a solution that can be upgradeable to 32/8, preferably with upgradeable RAM (to avoid the upsell margins).

What you play does also tend to be a factor. The greatest risks are likely going to be multiplatform single player games. Without going into the specific merits of the game we already see one clear example with Forspoken in that not only do you need to drop texture settings but it looks horrendous on 8GB. There's also a slate of games that have arguable issues already (eg. Cyberpunk 2077 as a notable one).

I feel MP and strategy games will likely tend to be fair better and be less likely to suffer significant issues.

Just going to also offer this alternative depending on the usage case for the gaming laptop, but have you considered streaming? Not necessarily streaming services but also just form your gaming desktop? In my case streaming from my desktop, including remotely over the internet, is enough for the gaming I do when not at the desktop. Plus it can be supplemented by less demanding gaming as well.

Last edited:
What resolution are you planning on gaming at? That would be the biggest determining factor and I ain't seen it posted yet.

A couple of months ago I bought an MSI GF65 Thin SEXR which came with 16Gb and a 2060 with 6Gb. I upgraded that to 32Gb straight away as I find that to be the sweet spot when running Win 11 with WSL, only issue with that laptop is the 6Gb VRAM as that is not really enought for the ML models I have been working with recently.

Last week I splashed out on a ASUS Rog Zephyrus Duo 16 (and now I can never go back to a laptop with a single screen again) which came with 32Gb and a 3080Ti with 8Gb. I upgraded that to 64Gb and so far this has taken everything I have thrown at it wihtout breaking a sweat, there's plenty of headroom for gaming and ML work, even with lots of WSL sessions running.

I got myself a used Lenovo Legion 7 with Ryzen 7 5800H, 3080 16GB and 32GB RAM. It cost me $1733. I'm missing out on DLSS3, but at least I don't have to worry about memory capacity.

Back