Gaming audio setups for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Paging Bkilian.

Proelite

Veteran
Supporter
Any one thinking about their audio setups for next generation yet? Headphones? HTIBs?

Considering the power of the SHAPE processor in Xbox One it'll be sad if we don't take advantage of what it has to offer with a good 7.1 system,

My budget for audio is around $500, if I were to get headphones, I would want it to work for at least two of PC, PS4, and Xbox One. I like headphones since I don't want to be arrested for disturbing the peace.

If you were in my situation, would you wait for headphones support to be announced (I am assuming no universal current headphones is supported on Xbox One right now) or get a good 7.1 system right now.

Ringleaders of audiophile circles should chip in their opinions. :cool:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones

If there is some kind of adapter that allows me to plug it into the Xbox One controller, I will find a store and buy it right now. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and they sound great. You can use them like regular passive headphones, or you can turn on the noise cancelling with an optional amplifier to help save the charge on your phone/ipod.

I'm not going to invest in surround sound speakers. If there is no way to use a pair of standard headphones with a separate mic on Xbox One, then I might invest in an actual gaming headset, either from Turtle Beach or Astro Gaming.

Turtle Beach has announced their next-gen headset, but I haven't found any details about that special connector on the controller. http://www.turtlebeach.com/sites/new-products-summer-2013/xbox-one

Edit:
PS4 controller has a standard headset jack, which makes things really easy. I believe you can plug in any stereo headset. That's pretty awesome. Definitely the easy situation. Whatever you get should work on PC as well.

Xbox One has that proprietary connector (STUPID). You can talk through Kinect, but I don't know how you'd plug a pair of headphones into the controller. Hopefully there is an adapter that accepts either stereo headphones or a stereo headset.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones

If there is some kind of adapter that allows me to plug it into the Xbox One controller, I will find a store and buy it right now. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and they sound great. You can use them like regular passive headphones, or you can turn on the noise cancelling with an optional amplifier to help save the charge on your phone/ipod.

I'm not going to invest in surround sound speakers. If there is no way to use a pair of standard headphones with a separate mic on Xbox One, then I might invest in an actual gaming headset, either from Turtle Beach or Astro Gaming.

Turtle Beach has announced their next-gen headset, but I haven't found any details about that special connector on the controller. http://www.turtlebeach.com/sites/new-products-summer-2013/xbox-one

Edit:
PS4 controller has a standard headset jack, which makes things really easy. I believe you can plug in any stereo headset. That's pretty awesome. Definitely the easy situation. Whatever you get should work on PC as well.

Xbox One has that proprietary connector (STUPID). You can talk through Kinect, but I don't know how you'd plug a pair of headphones into the controller. Hopefully there is an adapter that accepts either stereo headphones or a stereo headset.

Have you had experience with surround sound systems? With the headphones that you recommended I am afraid of missing out on basic audio experiences.

Have you had experience with surround sound systems? With the headphones that you recommended I am afraid of missing out on basic audio experiences.

I've never used surround sound, either for speakers or headphones. Just not my thing. I've strictly been a 2-channel audio guy. The sound on those headphones is fantastic. Not sure what kind of audio quality you get out of the surround headsets. I prefer to buy 2 channel because I would want to use them heavily for music to get my moneys worth. For a pure gaming purpose, maybe a surround set would be better. I don't know.

Just noticed those PSB headphones include a cable with a mic, but it's a 2.5mm jack. Not sure if that's what's on the PS4 controller. There is 3.5mm adapter, but for some reason it only works with the cable that does not include the mic.

wait I thought Xbox One does 5.1 through the controller jack to headphones?

So far I've heard it's only stereo. I asked someone from IGN, and that's what they said it was. Can't remember who. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. My guess is that surround sound headphones will all be wireless and use wifi direct (does Bluetooth 4.0 support surround?).

For headsets....

Xbox One Chat Headset. A must-have for fans of online gaming, the new Xbox One Chat Headset, wired to the controller, is designed for long gaming sessions and clear voice chat. With a lightweight and comfortable new design, the mono chat headset features wideband digital audio and a unidirectional microphone. Gamers will love not having to take their hands off the controller to access the microphone mute and volume controls.

We are also excited to highlight a few new third-party accessories, including:

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO SEVEN. This state-of-the-art headset delivers unparalleled audio quality. The XO SEVEN connects directly to the wireless Xbox One Controller so you are free from wires to the console. Memory foam cushions create a noise-isolating barrier to outside distractions. And you can remove the boom mic, swap in the mobile cable with inline mic and use the XO SEVEN with all your mobile devices.

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO FOUR. The Ear Force XO FOUR headset features cinematic surround sound for immersive game play and entertainment and a high-quality microphone for Xbox One chat on Skype or Xbox Live games. Full range, 50mm speakers deliver the crispest highs and thunderous low end. The XO FOUR connects directly to the wireless Xbox One controller and easily connects to your mobile phone or tablet.

Polk 4 Shot Xbox One Gaming Headphones. The 4 Shot is designed for comfort and durability, with a lightweight yet rugged spring steel headband, stitched leatherette padding, pivoting ear cups and plush over-ear fabric pads for a fit that helps your concentration and never hinders it. These headphones include a retractable boom microphone that tucks smoothly up into the ear cup and turns off; at the touch of a finger, it clicks into position and turns on. The 4 Shot converts from gaming to music to movies with a single 48” one-button control cable.

Polk N1 SurroundBar. Four Audio Immersion Modes (Racer, FPS, Music and Cinema) enable you to tailor the full-range Dolby® Digital N1 SurroundBar for maximum high performance audio, delivering a more thrilling listening experience. The SurroundBar includes Bluetooth wireless technology and SmartBar.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/e3-accessories

More details...

Microsoft reveals Xbox One headsets aren’t included with base system [updated]
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...one-headsets-arent-included-with-base-system/

E3 2013: Polk Audio's New Xbox One Sound Bar and Headphones
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-polk-audios-new-xbox-one-sound-bar-and-headphones

Tommy McClain

sweet thanks Tommy

I have 5,1 surround speakers but my new receiver no longer has 5.1 headphone output... gonna pick up a pair to connect to controller for surround. :)

And I hope the SHAPE chip brings a difference to games and to peoples' ears.

sweet thanks Tommy

I have 5,1 surround speakers but my new receiver no longer has 5.1 headphone output... gonna pick up a pair to connect to controller for surround. :)

And I hope the SHAPE chip brings a difference to games and to peoples' ears.

De nada! :)

Personally I have no use for headphones. It's my house & if I want loud speakers then I get loud speakers. LOL I only bought headphones/mic once & they were a cheap set that worked with anything. Only reason I got them was when we temporarily lived with the in-laws. Glad I have my own house now! :) I'm considering a newer sound system when I get a bigger TV. Just so I can have a place to plug HDMI devices into it(don't have that now on my ancient 5.1 receiver). As for a simple XB1 headset I would probably wait awhile & get a simple wireless rechargeable headset like the official 360 wireless headset. With Kinect included I wouldn't be in a hurry.

Tommy McClain

HTIB = waste of money.

Question is really all about if you ever want to "grow your system". With a budget of $500, I'd say get an AV receiver + 2 bookshelf speakers + subwoofer. Eventually you might want 5.1, so you can later buy a center speaker, 2 floor standing speakers, then move the bookshelf speakers to the rear to act as surround speakers.

I learned the hard way that a good 2.1 system will always beat a HTIB, simply because the rear surround speakers aren't used enough in TV (what most people watch). Some moderate use in movies, but full use in games.

I just built a Home theater in a spare bedroom of my house. It has a 120" screen with a 1080p projector and 7.2 surround sound. It was built for next gen consoles since i only had a 1080i tv. Since the console have been announced i change my mind and i'm going ps4/pc next gen.

Budget was $6000 without ps4 or pc.

With only $500 i would almost just get a good set of headphones. If you want a HTIB i would get an onkyo HT-S5500. I have an older version of this set for my bedroom. It sound pretty good.

If you want a good wireless headset sony official Ps3 headset works with ps3, PS4 and PC.

Or raise your budget. I would spend $300~ on receiver, $300 Klipsch Reference RW-12d subwoofer from newegg[best sub for the money you can get] and just get a nice set of [$300-400]bookshelf the right and left front speakers. Then buy the matching timber center and some cheap surrounds. I would go to best buy and listen to some speaker to see what you like.

A good 5.1 or 7.1 system is something I am missing, but I am moving and I am not interested on it at all, no matter how good the sound is on the PS4 and the Xbox One.

I like Shape a lot, a lot... by the looks of it --bkilian sometimes shared some of its secrets with us. But the point is that I am going to buy a console at launch and they are kinda hefty themselves and a good surround system can be many good things but not very portable, imho.

So I am not in a hurry for now. (I have a Dolby Prologic 5.1 system, but of course it's not the same)

Are you. Guys sure we can get full quality stereo audio through ds4 jack. I just bought a set of bower and wilkins P5 and that would be great to use them. I thought ds4 was only low quality mono.

Are you. Guys sure we can get full quality stereo audio through ds4 jack. I just bought a set of bower and wilkins P5 and that would be great to use them. I thought ds4 was only low quality mono.

The bundled headset is mono, but I think the jack is actually stereo. We'll have to wait to find out what the quality of the audio is on either controller.

Back