GameTrailers E3 Preview/Speculation Video

SugarCoat

Veteran
Think this is new, some discussion about whats going to pop-up at E3 this year for consoles. Despite what the description says they talk about all 3 consoles. Mainly games, some hardware talk as well.

Today's episode features guests Michael Pachter, Shane Satterfield, N'Gai Croal and Billy Berghammer and covers:

The Bonus Round sits down with some of the biggest journalists in gaming to figure out what Microsoft has in store for E3 this year.

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround.php

Man Ngai Croal is such a microsoft hater! Gets on my nerves how he has to downplay everything MS..

I mean, Pachter is a big Sony fanboy, he STILL predicts PS3 to come out on top this gen, but at least he can be fair to other competiters.

But man do I ever love the new gametrailers..makes it so easy for people to post stuff like this.

Man Ngai Croal is such a microsoft hater! Gets on my nerves how he has to downplay everything MS..

Every time one of his articles is posted I can't help but laugh, besides his bias he's simply not that great of a writer. Hard to stomach.

Man Ngai Croal is such a microsoft hater! Gets on my nerves how he has to downplay everything MS.
I remember when NPD posted numbers for February 2007, he said that MS was in really bad position because they sold only 100k more 360s than Sony their PS3s.;)
Nothing really interesting in this Bonus Round, they Geoff Keighley should have invited some insiders rather than a bunch of journalists.

But man do I ever love the new gametrailers..makes it so easy for people to post stuff like this.

Sorry if you dont approve but at least its not a "Evil Xbox melted my house!" or
"I Bought A PS3 And Couldnt Afford To Buy Food For a Month" thread.

Im not even big on consoles, just stumbled into it, watched it for a bit, and posted it for others. Sue me.

What bothers me in many an analysis like this one, is that the PS3's motion control capabilities are totally overlooked. I have a lot of people coming over of all ages and all of them seem to love playing MotorStorm with motion control for instance. Really simple controls, sure, but they work really well, and combine well with the graphics for making an impression. Same with Fl0w and Super Rub-a-Duck. Here is an area where Sony can build off the success of the Wii and developers can share some of the development costs, simply by getting those games that have overlap in motion sensing capabilities (think of the Mercury type of games) on the PS3 as a PSN download.

I think that right now because of its price point, the PS3 is looked at a lot from a hardcore perspective when it comes to games. That's probably the main reason why its motion sensing still gets overlooked, although apparently it also takes games that have the motion sensing as its main feature before people take that aspect seriously. ;) The upcoming bowling game should help - if it shows that bowling on the PS3 can work just as well and there's a market for it among PS3 owners, it's a good step in the right direction that can lead others.

i agree. although i prefer to use the regular controls with motorstorm, using the motion control is fun. using it in CoD3 while driving was also well done. i think theres a lot of potential with motion control. sure it won't work well with every game (and i think if the developer can't find any fun way to implement it, they shouldn't) there are many games that could use it well (flying, steering, balancing etc).

i agree. although i prefer to use the regular controls with motorstorm, using the motion control is fun. using it in CoD3 while driving was also well done. i think theres a lot of potential with motion control. sure it won't work well with every game (and i think if the developer can't find any fun way to implement it, they shouldn't) there are many games that could use it well (flying, steering, balancing etc).

But it isn't just the fun part that is interesting here. I always give people the motion control as default, and everyone, whether they have never gamed a day in their lives or not, picks it up almost immediately. I myself always like to try new things so of course I do it too, and now I play the game single handedly for the most part (braking isn't needed very much ;) ). It works very well.

The accessibility is key. It's why the Wii is such a big success, but it also holds for the PS3's sixaxis. But in the list of things that the PS3 does, it's often ranked below the 1080p, Cell, BluRay, HDD, Online and even backward compatibility and upscaling as things that define the system.

Part of it is of course due to developers receiving the SDK for motion control rather late (less than a year ago), so I'm sure this matter will be addressed in the future.

But it isn't just the fun part that is interesting here. I always give people the motion control as default, and everyone, whether they have never gamed a day in their lives or not, picks it up almost immediately.

I actually tried playing FlOw with a friend yesterday who is a pretty hard core PC gamer. He could not comprehend the controls even after 15 some mins. On the other hand I've played with my younger sister who is a total non gamer and she picked it up easily.

The most natural use of six axis that I have experienced is in Ninja Gaiden. The shake when using Ninpo thing works so well that when I was playing a bit of God of War this weekend, every time I cast magic, I automatically started shaking the controller!

Folksoul does seems to be a very clever use of the motion control that works very well, but I have only played the demo so I don't know how it will fair in terms of a full game.

For me, use of motion control for flying or driving just fail period. But some people seem to like it. And to devs, those seem to be the most obvious ways to work in motion control into their games so they will probably continue to be put in.

For me, use of motion control for flying or driving just fail period. But some people seem to like it.
This is perhaps why motion control on PS3 is overlooked, or underused, versus Wii. With Wii, you know everyone with a Wii wants motion control. With PS3, you don't know what percentage want it. SO wtih Wii, you've 6 million potential buyers of your motion game. With PS3, you've got an unknown percentage of a smaller amount. But you can trust at PS3's pricepoint and HD abilities, it'll have a large base of hardcore conventional gamers who are used to conventional games.

I don't see 3rd parties creating much by way of motion control for that reason. It'll be down to Sony to create motion titles (and camera titles etc.) to broaden the appeal of the platform and make a 'something for everyone' machine. 3rd parties will be traditional, conservative, and everything we hate about the modern big-bucks media entertainment corporations!

I actually tried playing FlOw with a friend yesterday who is a pretty hard core PC gamer. He could not comprehend the controls even after 15 some mins. On the other hand I've played with my younger sister who is a total non gamer and she picked it up easily.

The most natural use of six axis that I have experienced is in Ninja Gaiden. The shake when using Ninpo thing works so well that when I was playing a bit of God of War this weekend, every time I cast magic, I automatically started shaking the controller!

Folksoul does seems to be a very clever use of the motion control that works very well, but I have only played the demo so I don't know how it will fair in terms of a full game.

For me, use of motion control for flying or driving just fail period. But some people seem to like it. And to devs, those seem to be the most obvious ways to work in motion control into their games so they will probably continue to be put in.

This is perhaps why motion control on PS3 is overlooked, or underused, versus Wii. With Wii, you know everyone with a Wii wants motion control. With PS3, you don't know what percentage want it. SO wtih Wii, you've 6 million potential buyers of your motion game. With PS3, you've got an unknown percentage of a smaller amount. But you can trust at PS3's pricepoint and HD abilities, it'll have a large base of hardcore conventional gamers who are used to conventional games.

I don't see 3rd parties creating much by way of motion control for that reason. It'll be down to Sony to create motion titles (and camera titles etc.) to broaden the appeal of the platform and make a 'something for everyone' machine. 3rd parties will be traditional, conservative, and everything we hate about the modern big-bucks media entertainment corporations!

Well, Lair is the first big title that requires motion control to be played (i.e. you can't turn it off). I like the fact that while you're controlling the dragon the analog sticks are free to do other stuff, that also works quite well in Warhawks where you can aim with the stick while flying with motion control. Let's hope it turns out ok so more developers start using motion control for their games.

Back