Gamestop Announces Strategic partner ship with Microsoft

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by eastmen, Oct 8, 2020.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/10/...ltiyear-strategic-partnership-with-microsoft/

"Through this partnership, GameStop will standardize the Company’s business operations on Microsoft’s cloud solutions and hardware products to deliver rich new digital experiences to customers, creating the “ultimate gaming destination” for gamers in its vision to be the premier omni-channel customer access point for video game products."

Its too big to post most of it. Its really interesting

Microsoft had a lot of great ideas with their stores and I hope to see gamestop adopt some of them. But the simple fact that they will be upgrading the POS with surfaces and other microsoft products can only be a good thing

#1 eastmen, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  2. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

:)

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2163678/

Tommy McClain

eastmen likes this.
  3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

lol my bad

[​IMG]

egoless and AzBat like this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't get it. GameStop are switching IT service providers to a vertically-integrated Microsoft solution? So... :?:

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Outside of the IT aspects, it also includes (posted by AzBat)

• Following decades as an essential provider of the Microsoft Xbox gaming platform and services, GameStop has expanded its Xbox family of product offerings to include Xbox All Access, which provides an Xbox console and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to players with no upfront cost. GameStop and Microsoft will both benefit from the customer acquisition and lifetime revenue value of each gamer brought into the Xbox ecosystem.

PSman1700, DSoup and eastmen like this.
  6. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Yeah it looks like an All Access marketing deal disguised as an IT deal. Gets All Access up front & center to gamers. Game Stop gets revenue for the whole 2 years & they also get these cool IT operation tools to keep from going bankrupt.

Tommy McClain

7. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Do they know that cool IT tools don't help if your business model is dying? This seems like a way for MS to squeeze a bit from their corpse while it's still warm. :)

8. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Agreed, but better than giving them cash for the All Access deal. They would just waste it on hookers & blow. LOL

Tommy McClain

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Damn, I was confusing news about GameSpot with Gamestop. Totally unrelated entities. :lol:

Both companies are going through hardships though.

HBRU likes this.
  10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The business model just needs to be tweaked. Using Microsoft's platform they can actually have accurate minute to minute inventory levels and provide real buy it online pick it up in store. They can even start to use their stores as warehouses to feed their online store.

Also MS now has displaced customers. They don't have the hardware business that Apple does but if Gamestop and MS come to a deal there is no reason why the stores can't become a service drop off / pick up place. Your surface pro has a cracked screen and you have complete ? Okay go online fill out and pay the fee and go to your local game stop for the replacement if its in stock. Khols (sp?) is doing returns for amazon and they make money off it

11. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

GameStop has done this plenty of times, nothing is going to stop the bleeding over there. Their BS pricing and policies on used games is atrocious, and the treatment of their hourly employees is less than. And IMHO, shopping online has been a better experience (especially when it comes to returns or trade-ins) for me than GameStop.

BRiT likes this.
  12. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The All Access deal is stupidly good. It's kind of mad to buy not using this.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  13. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

It's good, but it's not stupidly good. Buying the console + 3yrs gold + cheeky Ultimate conversion is the real stupid value.

Great way to buy though.

Pete likes this.
  14. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

So there is revenue sharing on digital for every system Gamestop brings to the Xbox ecosystem...

Tommy McClain

Pete, HBRU and BRiT like this.
  15. Silenti

Regular

It is going to take awhile for all the implications here to fall into place for me. I mean. That is stunning.

HBRU, DSoup and AzBat like this.
  16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

It is an interesting development.
    GameStop has a serious vested interest in selling XSX|S for long term returns.
    Selling PS5 may give them short and medium term returns with second hand market, but that market is shrinking fast.

MS and GameStop with a you wash my back I'll wash yours deal.
    Although nothing stopping Sony doing the same, I just don't expect them to.

Wonder how much actual difference gamestop making xbox front and center would actually have for sales within gamestop

AzBat likes this.
  17. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Grandma walks in to GameStop to buy her grandson "one them playstation things"

Grandma walks out with an Xbox...

HBRU, Johnny Awesome, egoless and 2 others like this.
  18. iceberg187

Regular

I think that the lesson to be learned is that people are going to realize in due time, all of Microsoft's actions this upcoming gen is going to cause a lot of people to give the :shocked: because the first thought is probably going to be, why wasn't Microsoft like this from the beginning or during the 360 or XB1 gen. I and many others have always understood that their successes were seemingly in spite of themselves. They are ten toes down now. They have finally defeated and overcome their biggest enemy, themselves. I'm interested to see what they continue to do this gen.

milk, HBRU, DSoup and 3 others like this.
  19. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Here's the tweet that shared the email from GameStop that exposed the revenue sharing. The exact terms are confidential, but it's all part of the All Access program & it's not just during the time the buyer is paying for it. It's for the life of the device.

Tommy McClain

Pete, HBRU, Jay and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Wonder how that actually works?

So if you sell the console after 24months, how would gamestop still make money from that console?

Anyway seems like an overly beneficial deal for gamestop to be honest.

AzBat likes this.