Day of the Tentacle (Cthulhu) Award
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Should Have Been Online
Animal Crossing

Best Music-
Metroid Prime

Best Perriphreal
Wavebird

Overall the lists look pretty good to me(a few changes I'd have here and there).

http://www.gamespy.com/goty2002/

Word up for not giving GTA:VC GoTY for PS2!

Odd that they'd give it to a rehash of a rehash though (THPS4).

Splinter Cell is great and all, but i wanted to see it go to Mech Assault, I think its an awesome achievment, I hate mech games, and I actually like it.

In terms of content, MechAssault lacks immensely. That game needed another 3-4 months to justify its price tag. Short single player, online play with 4 maps and like basically 1 game mode (variants of DM)? ZZzzz

The gameplay is great, but the game REALLY needs more of everything to deserve its praise.

Actually, I would take Steel Battallion over Splinter Cell for Xbox GotY, a bit slow for my taste, but it is definitely a better game than Splinter Cell or any other Xbox recent releases.

They give it "most insane" ? There is nothing insane about Steel Battallion though.

[mode nintendork on]

i see the THPS4 is GOTY for the PS2.
on the GC, THPS4 is only the best sports title. MP is the GOTY.
should i interpret this as a sign of the gamecube game library superiority over the PS2 one ?

[mode nintendork off]

Qualifying games had to be released from Dec 15th 2001 to Dec 15th 2002, FF X came out ~ Dec 20th 2001 ;)

zurich said:
Qualifying games had to be released from Dec 15th 2001 to Dec 15th 2002, FF X came out ~ Dec 20th 2001 ;)

(...rubbing it in a bit more)

released in july 2001 (IIRC) in europe.............................. one year after japan release and 6 months after american release.... and not even a 60Hz mode, but of course with big black borders, slowdown and all the usual crap...... now u tell me WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what have we done to deserve this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

I meant Europe in general :D

Seriously though, it makes much more sense just to have 1 global TV/HDTV standard, especially in a global marketplace...

... :LOL: ....

i was just teasing u...

well it would make perfect sense wouldnt it... guess it's too much of a hassle for some people *up there* though.....

i mean, even this whole PAL-NTSC thing... i mean, what the hell, was it too hard keeping the same standard all over the world when TVs were first introduced??!!!

now u add Pro-scan on top of that and we're sorted..........

The main reason for the different norms (PAL/NTSC) were the different electricity network standards in Europe and America (running at 60Hz and 50Hz respectivly).

V3 said:
Actually, I would take Steel Battallion over Splinter Cell for Xbox GotY, a bit slow for my taste, but it is definitely a better game than Splinter Cell or any other Xbox recent releases.

They give it "most insane" ? There is nothing insane about Steel Battallion though.

Nothing insane? How about the controller and price tag?

Back on Topic, they now have the final Game of the years up..
Metroid Prime took GOTY overall, I forgot the runner ups(but you can bet your arse they are Splinter Cell and Vice City...

I forgot the runner ups(but you can bet your arse they are Splinter Cell and Vice City...
Actually, Splinter Cell wasn't even considered as a game of the year by them. Instead, they included Mech Assault :\

The main reason for the different norms (PAL/NTSC) were the different electricity network standards in Europe and America (running at 60Hz and 50Hz respectivly).

That may have been a factor, but I'm not sure it's the whole reason... Japan is an NTSC country and half of the country is 100v@50Hz and the other half at 100v@60Hz...

Nothing insane? How about the controller and price tag?

True, it's a rather stupid category anyway, as Taito's Energy Air Force with Sony's HMD is quite a bit more expensive...

Back