Gamespot comparison of PS3 and 360 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrboo

Regular
Not a bad comparison, it does seem to show the difference's in the brightless/contrast levels that both machine output. PS3 seems to have a higher brightness output making colours washed out and appear flat.

Still you opinions please :)

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you've previously calibrated your display for xbox360 or other device, it's likely some new device you connect to the display would require different calibration.
MY digital receiver needs significantly different brightness and contrast settings than my DVD player or my PS2, that's also because they use different inputs, but even my old DVD player and my new DVD player needed very different settings even though they were both connected via component. Now I connect my DVD via HDMI, and it requires tuning too compared to previous component connection.
Good thing all the inputs have their own settings.

Fight Night Round 3 was one of the first games to really show off the Xbox 360's graphics power with fantastic lighting and incredibly detailed player models. The PS3 still has great looking player models but the crowds are less detailed and the lighting effects are definitely inferior.

what? I was under the impression based on comments here that the PS3 version had superior lighting? A case of "ps3 less bright = worse"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad comparison, it does seem to show the difference's in the brightless/contrast levels that both machine output. PS3 seems to have a higher brightness output making colours washed out and appear flat.

This is what I have noticed too. I was in the mall the other day and there was a PS3 and 360 side-by-side and that was the thing that I was noticing. They were not the same game of course, but the point was still there in that the PS3 was washed out. It was interesting though in that I didn't say anything, but I was just looking at it and somebody else walked in and just blurted out the same thing to myself and a couple of other people that were standing there while a couple of people were playing.

Of course this is not to say that the PS3 didn't look good. The overal quality was very nice on the PS3, it just had this one thing against it.

-Dave

what? I was under the impression based on comments here that the PS3 version had superior lighting? A case of "ps3 less bright = worse"?

def doesn't look like it to me in the comparison shots. Look at the "rim" lighting on the players. Seems like the PS3 version is missing phong lighting. I thought the same thing you did before. I think a more detailed comparison needs to be done.

But I was impressed more with the Madden 07 comparison. The PS3 missing stadium shadows and having blurrier textures stood out for me.

I do understand the argument that says it is unfair to compare 2nd gen X360 games to 1st gen PS3 games. However, in my mind there isn't any excuse for the system coming out a year late and $200 more expensive with WORSE graphics. The average consumer certainly won't care that the complexities of the cell processor require more time for developers to get a grasp of. They see a core X360 for 100-200 @ Microcenter (depending on whether or not you sign up for the credit card) with games that look better and run faster than the $500 dollar PS3 (note, a Premium X360 can be had for $200 in my area if the comparison of Core to 2nd-tier PS3 SKU doesn't suit you). There is no "sympathy vote" for Sony just because there are reasons why its system is underperforming right now.

Point is, a year to 2 years from now the situation will be different, but that doesn't matter today. The PS3 has come out with 1 good exclusive title (Resistance) and a bunch of multiplatform titles that are better on the X360. Right now it has a borked online system, worse multiplayer experience (including fewer multiplayer features compared to x360), is as aforementioned more expensive, and has fewer quality games than the 360. And that won't change until fall of 07. Doesn't look good from where I'm standing.

When PS2 came out, I know that I had held of buying a Dreamcast even though I thought the games looked incredible (Sonic Adventure was a fuckin orgasm in 99) and it had a cheap price. I didn't buy it because Sega had fucked up with X32, Saturn, and there were rumours that its financials were terrible (that it was goign to pull Dreamcast like it did Saturn). And then there was this great PR blitz that Sony had, with gamse that looked like nothing I'd ever seen before (Bouncer looked like CG to me), and MGS2 looked absolutely amazing.

This time around it is different. We know that the X360 is going to be graphically anywhere from slightly below par to slightly above when compared to PS3. We know it is goign to be cheaper. We know that almost certainly it will have better Media Center interfacing, Online coherency, Downloadable content (XBLA is key). We know that Blu-Ray will have the potential to give us a better game experience with more content, but that is hampered by 2 things. The first is that I owned a gamecube, and was never dissapointed with the length of games (even late into the cycle) that fit on that 1.5GB disk (That is a 7x smaller disc size). RE4, for instance, is one of my favorite games, and it had a ton of content, on only 3GB. And I don't mind multi-disc games as long as they are done right. Blu-Ray is giving us slower transfer times (read: longer loading) as shown in the Gamespot comparo.

I would say that my interest from the PS3 has gone from "man, maybe I will do what Kutaragi-san said and work harder to own it" to, no fucking way am I going to pay $500 for to wait a year for content. And considering that GTA4, Assasin's Creed are coming to X360, with no doubt equal graphics (before there was a question in my mind as to whether the PS3 versions will be better, now I have no doubts the X360 will be same if not better) I have even less reason to go PS3. And considering that MGS4 looks like complete ass (graphics wise), the only thing left is DMC4 for me. That I'm willing to sacrifice for all the great games coming out on X360.

Whew, done ranting. Let's try not to turn this thread into flamebait. But put on your suits just in case :D

I thought comparison threads were not allowed?

Well this is'nt exactly like other comparison threads, this comparison has been done by a game site and made as fair as possible, unlike the other comparison threads weres its just rubbish and unfair.

That's odd... I haven't noticed my PS3 to output noticeably brighter picture than my 360. I'm kind of curious now... if I remember I'll look tonight.

@pakotlar: while you may have a point here and there, I think saying it won't change til fall 07 is a bit odd. There's a decent amount of titles slated for the first half of 07 on PS3. And I can't say I understand the MGS4 looking like ass comment.

Well this is'nt exactly like other comparison threads, this comparison has been done by a game site and made as fair as possible, unlike the other comparison threads weres its just rubbish and unfair.

ok ;)

We need to know which platform is the lead sku or if both versions were developed concurrently by the same dev team or seperate teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the Madden comparison that they showed isn't the screenshot of the PS3 during a different time of day? It seems that the 360 shots have longer shadows meaning that it is later in the day than the 360 shots (or do I have that backwards). Maybe that is why it looks brighter. I haven't played Madded so I don't know if the game actually changes the position of the sun as you play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the Madden comparison that they showed isn't the screenshot of the PS3 during a different time of day? It seems that the 360 shots have longer shadows meaning that it is later in the day than the 360 shots (or do I have that backwards). Maybe that is why it looks brighter. I haven't played Madded so I don't know if the game actually changes the position of the sun as you play.

They said they made sure that the time of day etc.. etc... were the set the same on BOTH machines.

Ignoring the gfx parts, more importantly GS says the frame rates in the 360 versions are consistently better and also the load times are better on the 360 versions.

Fight Night Round 3 was one of the first games to really show off the Xbox 360's graphics power with fantastic lighting and incredibly detailed player models. The PS3 still has great looking player models but the crowds are less detailed and the lighting effects are definitely inferior. If the graphical losses weren't enough, the PlayStation 3 version takes almost twice as long as its 360 counterpart to load into the menu screen, and a third longer to load a quickplay.

I read that but if you look at the screenshots the shadows are not in the same position. You can look at the 360 shot and the shadows are longer for the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back