Games that were all hype, but ultimately didn't deliver.

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Which games 'visually' made you hyped for, but ultimately failed your expectations? (e.g., poor games mechanics, visual downgrade, framerate issues, lack of fun, uninteresting story, etc.)

I’ll start with…
PS3: Dragon Lair
Lair was a genuine fuck-up by everybody involved, probably me the worst,” says Julian Eggebrecht, one of Factor 5’s co-founders, about the studio’s disappointing PlayStation 3 game. The approximately $25 million project, a game about dragons and fantasy warfare, took three years to develop, which included a yearlong delay. From faulty studio decisions, publisher strife and arguments regarding studio dynamics, Lair fought its way out from the studio that created it.
Lair_screen_3.jpg

Last of Us 2.

Still waiting to see how the sales numbers were, past the first 2 weeks and 4 million pre-orders.

1. Genshin impact.

I was really happy when it was like a total clone of zelda botw but with cute anime girls.

Turns out the game is reaaaaally different than zelda botw. Genshin got way more handholding, too much random nonsense that keeps blaring HEY THIS IS A VIDEO GAME!, super disjointed story (even the main story!) and level design (the map unlocker and the shrines/dungeons are the worst offender).

2. Horizon Zero Dawn pc
Uh... Pretty well known issues. Because I have awesome luck with anything related to tech, I was hit with most of the issues reported

3. Pavlov VR
I though its gonna be fun like far point. Nope.

It looks okay ish, but it's like running in half frame rate, the enemy spawn is really bad (behind me!), the 3d audio doesn't work, the in game menu is really confusing.

Last edited:
For me it would be GTA series. The 2nd one in particular. That and MGS 2. I thought those PS2 signature games were crap. Same goes for RE on PS. Terrible controls.

Messiah_1971.jpg

I still have the next generation mag this was on the cover of. I wanted to love this game so much. Shiny just couldn't deliver.

Ultima_IX_-_Ascension_Coverart.png

I still cry :no:

811%2BsfeLIpL._SX342_.jpg

After the trailer, I didn't need to watch anything else. There was no way in the world they couldn't. I literally preordered and went on media blackout on this game. Bad move.

Messiah_1971.jpg

I still have the next generation mag this was on the cover of. I wanted to love this game so much. Shiny just couldn't deliver.

Ultima_IX_-_Ascension_Coverart.png

I still cry :no:

811%2BsfeLIpL._SX342_.jpg

After the trailer, I didn't need to watch anything else. There was no way in the world they couldn't. I literally preordered and went on media blackout on this game. Bad move.

yeah that moody dead island piano trailer thingy was really misleading.

yeah that moody dead island piano trailer thingy was really misleading.

That's the thing, very few gaming ads/trailers have made my hair stand up. This, Gears 1 and Halo 3. I know Halo 3 was going to be amazing. I guessed Gears would be (It was) I thought this would be in the same vein. The game wasn't even remotely near the trailer in terms of quality or what the game was about.

I liked Messiah
There was a night and day difference though compared to the outstanding initial images they revealed.

DMC2 definitely disappointed me.

DMC2FrontCover.jpg

Trailers looked awesome. The original was perfect. Couldnt believe how shitty the sequel was. 7/10 the reviews gave it was too generous. The gameplay mechanics of the original were not there. Gameplay sucked so much and didnt make sense. You could use your guns and nothing else. The combination of gun play/sword fighting was non existent and didnt have depth. The plot and voice acting were laughable and stupid. The super cool Dante was an uninteresting lifeless character in the sequel.
Visuals were worse. The camera angles were disastrous and often so far away that Dante was the size of an ant.
The game wasnt really made by Capcom I think. It was handed over to some other company that does games on behalf of other developers and Capcom just put their own credits on it.
I gave it a 2/10. I hated it so much. I gifted it to a friend and didnt want to see this disgrace of a game ever.

Battlefield V. The deluge of technical issues, bugs, and glitches combined with the absolutely horrendous performance make it an awful experience. Add on no cheat protection and a completely absent team balancer and ugghhh.

I thought that about Marvel's Avengers.

I really enjoyed Andromeda. The combat and traversal were fantastic. I've played it twice now. :yes:
oh damn
you beast.
okay keep eyes peeled for tomorrow N7 day!

oh damn
you beast.
okay keep eyes peeled for tomorrow N7 day!
I would love a re-imagining of the Mass Effect trilogy. ME2 and ME3 hold up well on PC with the graphics revamps but the UI from the earlier games is just awful. And retrofit the later controls to the earlier games lies what Blue-point did more subtly with their Uncharted remaster.

I know this will incur the wrath of SB so I'll leave now while I still can! :runaway:

FF7Remake.
Pretty fun systems and good looking, but padded to the max and they ruined the story with making it to Sepiroth-focused.

And the mechanics in BF5 sucks in some way I can't really explain. I just hate playing it (love BF4).

Back