Games Radar preview of Vanguard (MMORPG)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by epicstruggle, Sep 18, 2006.

1. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

2. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

3. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Vanguard is going to be catass to the max. It'll have a small but very dedicated following because of its difficulty in levelling. If you're OK with this compared to more recent MMOs, then it might be a great game.

4. saf1

Newcomer

Honestly - they are setting the bar too high and more than likely will fall flat on their face. Reading through their site you can get a feel of what they are trying to accomplish...

There is nothing that sets this MMO apart if you ask me. Read their faq or play in the beta - I think you will see what I mean. And if that is their goals, then they may have set the wrong ones. The market can not handle another EQ derived game; just look at how EQ2 fairs subscriber wise. WoW got away with it for some reason and still grows - but people are getting tired of the end game content. Burning Crusade may help but raids still require 25 people and there are still gear balance issues. So people are getting frustrated and leaving.

Will Vanguard pull it off? I don't think so honestly. They are still not focusing on the right content that people want. Warhammer Online may be close, but it still remains to be seen if they can pull it off. And even then the content is not the next gen if you will.

5. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

6. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Reading their site and their forums it seems to me that what they are trying to build is something very different from WoW. WoW is all about "content", content provided on a spoon by the developers. I get the feeling from the forums that Vanguard is trying much more for the player-driven model, player-driven economy, player-driven cities, player-driven politics. More like EVE Online than WoW (or EQ2 in its latest guise).

I think there certainly is a market for such a game, but it won't be a game which will appeal to anyone who thinks the sun shines out of WoW's behind. Some people prefer games which don't spoon-feed everything.

I don't think you should judge the success or failure of a game by the subscriber numbers compared to any other game (particularly WoW). You should judge it based on the subscriber numbers that the developers are shooting for. If they shoot for 100k players, and get 100k players, they've achieved their goal. If they shoot for 2M players and get 1M players, they've failed to achieve their goal.

7. saf1

Newcomer

I'm not compairing it to WoW - but I did say that their FAQ clearly stats WoW as a target - it is referenced enough either directly or indirectly. Read it and you will understand. Also, I'm not judging this game by success let alone failure. I'm judging it based on what they are saying they want to do. The overall MMO goals if you will.

And I just do not see it being delivered. Shadowbane tried much of what they are suggesting but failed to deliver. Why? Because it was too much. Sure - bugs abound, but the overall look and feel of player controlled content was too much for them to define and maintain.

8. jvd

jvd
    Banned

My friend is in the beta and I must say , its a fun game . I haven't liked the current gen mmorpgs though. I'm really interested in the update to ultima online. I wish they would make a part 2 (yet another one got canceled ... damn ea)

The problem with vanguard is that it may be even harder than ultima online and the original eq . That would drive people away. But at the same time , it may bring more hardcore players into it .

9. ninelven

Veteran

Indeed, EQ1 was fairly difficult and not noob friendly, at least up until Luclin. The thing that continues to disappoint me wrt mmorpgs today is the lack of content for those who enjoy soloing. I mean I have nothing against grouping/raiding/guilding, but I also enjoy the sense of accomplishment of doing something for myself just as much. What I'd like to see is instanced zones for the individual (max party size =1).... call them "trials" maybe... with successful completion of the trial resulting in a unique equipment benefit comparable to the best available in normal circumstances in that level. Of course, the quests and trials should be sufficiently difficult and time consuming, but they should be doable solo and only solo (nodrop tags for any items obtained this way).

#9 ninelven, Sep 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Yes thank you . The solo content is why I left eq2 and have been basicly mmorpg free for a long time.

I like going into a game and palying by myself . I don't want to have to some how find a group of people I don't know , only to have it break up 15 mins after I get in. Or have a tank that doesn't know what they are doing .

I like to go on and paly untill a friend of mine comes on.

I'm only playing eq2 again becasue I miss John ... that big lug !