Gameplay screenshots of Warhawk PS3

It ranges from bad to okay, at best.

That's some weak showing, here.

Another game where the screenshots are coming out wrong?:

warhawk-ps3-20060508080906111gs.jpg

Jawed

It looks the same qualitywise as it has looked from the first showings (if not better), except from the soldiers on foot in caves that I really don't know if they were from some introductory video or cutscene.

The ground textures have never looked that detailed in this game, which doesn't bother me that much if it doesn't feature on foot missions on same environments.
The environment detail has also been relativelt low.

Only thing that seems to be lacking in the recent trailers are the hundreds of ships on screen at the same time, like in the on pic that was the first ever shown I think, where there's some bigger hsips and a lot of smaller ships flying into the screen over a mountaineous landscape. That pic also had blurry ground textures with just some trees to add detail, but it was jaggy and lacked the impressive water and clouds.

Warhawk is on my "must buy" list, it still has enough qualities to look great and should be fun to play with the new controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands-on impressions:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149597&pid=928383

The control is really slick. The game uses the controller's internal tilt-sensing mechanisms to steer your ship. It works really well, and didn't feel jittery at all. If you hold R1, tilting the control rolls your ship. Double-tapping R2 kicks in your afterburners for a quick speed boost, and triangle converts you into and out of hover mode. The D pad on the controller is used for selecting secondary weapons, and square fires them. X is your main machine gun.

The game's running at a nicely smooth frame rate, and there are pretty good-looking particle effects and heat wash. The game's got good-looking clouds, water, and other environmental details too. Overall, it's a nice looking game that already seems to play well, even though the development team only recently incorporated the new controller's motion sensors.

Lookin' good.

Gamespot also have some video blog impressions, the guy played Warhawk, Resistance and Genji 2.

I know this is just a Warhawk thread, but I figured it was as good a place as any to post this:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3blog.html?topic_id=24600996

He says of it all "For the first playable software for a system, it's pretty amazing". Sounds like the controller works really well with Warhawk, the motion detection apparently is "surprisingly great" and feels very natural.

The Warhawk team implemented the tilt feature on the freaking weekend!:oops: Man that was fast. I wonder what they could have done if they had 4 or 5 months.

More impressions from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705991p1.html

The controller's ability to recognize free movement allowing for six degrees of freedom plays perfectly into Warhawk's flying mechanics. We actually hadn't yet played the game with an analog stick movement configuration, so we can't really say how it compares to a classic setup, but we can say that the PS3 controller's tilt sensing seems to work fantastically with the game.

The freeform control mechanism via the PlayStation 3's controller, as mentioned, was sweet. Tilting the controller forward causes you to dive, tilting back makes you rise and rolling left and right do what you'd expect. Rather than flipping the controller over, holding R1 and rolling to either side will cause your Warhawk to perform a full roll, nice for dodging incoming shots and the like.

Tilt sensitivity will be customisable, also..

Clouds were good. Very solid now we get a flythrough. When they were first shown they looked too cotton-wool bods to me, but these had a good variety.

Titanio said:
More impressions from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705991p1.html

Tilt sensitivity will be customisable, also..

So it looks like thousands of people over-reacted on message boards and Sony might actually have something here. I wonder if GT5 will use this tilt and roll feature. I read that EA is looking to use this feature on possibly a Burnout title.

Not surprising that people jump down Sony's throat though because when the name Wii was released the internet blow up on that too.:rolleyes:

i got a feeling that this is the type of game where the gameplay is superior than its graphic which is good. Game should be about how game is play.

Official Factsheet

32 player online confirmed :) Also, on-foot and vehicle gameplay is indeed in:

OVERVIEW

The long-awaited remake to the PlayStation® hit takes flight on the PLAYSTATION®3 system. In Warhawk, players experience the thrill of white-knuckle aerial combat with hundreds of enemy fighters, bone-crunching armored assaults and high-intensity infantry combat in a massive, all-out war fought both on the ground and in the skies.

During gameplay, players are tasked with protecting their homeland from the invading Chernovan armada. By doing so, players take command of the most advanced war machine in the fleet, the Warhawk, capable of aerobatic dogfights at high speeds or hovering over ground troops providing tactical support. Players continue the battle on foot with an arsenal of weaponry including pistols, rifles, grenades and more. Furthermore, players can gain access to an array of ground vehicles and lay waste with powerful weapons mounted on jeeps, tanks and specialty transports.

The stunning graphics and power of PLAYSTATION 3 set the stage for a truly unique Warhawk universe filled with hundreds of on-screen vehicles and troops, floating battleships, cruisers and carriers, captivating landscapes, destructible cities, and vibrantly detailed environments for both off- and online gameplay.

KEY FEATURES
• Pilot the most advanced Fighter in the Fleet – Fly or hover to engage in intense dogfights with hundreds of fighters, massive flying battleships and enemy ground forces.
• Fight on Foot, in Ground Vehicles, or in the Sky – Next-gen multimodal design throws players into a deep gameplay experience. Fight in the war as a foot soldier, vehicle driver or ace pilot—whenever you want.
• An Epic Level of Ambient Warfare – Players must defend their land and accomplish missions within a massive, fully interactive battlefield of Eucadian and Chernovan forces.
• Discover a Vast and Unique World – Hundreds of square miles of high-resolution terrain filled with a brave new world where old and new technologies merge.
• An Epic Storyline of Heroism – Charismatic characters and powerful armies clash in a gripping saga of discovery and survival.
• Experience an Expansive Online Community – Players can join in epic multi-modal 32-person online battles, constantly evolving with downloadable content and a variety of online game modes.

http://www.xgpgaming.com/news/news.php?id=3244

1up's impressions

..also very positive indeed :)

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150542

In fact, the ability to swoop, climb, and dive was made much easier due to the controller -- it was far more fluid and it freed you up to focus on shooting and dodging enemy planes instead of worrying about navigating. Flying through tight canyons and performing barrel loops felt perfectly natural.

The first Warhawk was a stunning showcase for PS1, and this sequel seems poised to be the same for the PS3 -- thanks to its controls.

Everyone seems to be loving the controls in this one. Not bad for a couple of weeks' work!

mckmas8808 said:
So it looks like thousands of people over-reacted on message boards and Sony might actually have something here. I wonder if GT5 will use this tilt and roll feature. I read that EA is looking to use this feature on possibly a Burnout title.

Not surprising that people jump down Sony's throat though because when the name Wii was released the internet blow up on that too.:rolleyes:

It's to be expected that it would work well for flying games. If it doesn't work well for a flying game, it's not working well for anything. The interesting thing will be to see how much use this gets in the other genres.

Jawed said:
Another game where the screenshots are coming out wrong?:

Jawed
I think the player might be "inside" of a cloud, or right outside of one. Just a guess, but you could be right.

Back