Game Feature I've not seen: eyes adjust

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Mize, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I can't think of a game that has a regular "eyes adjust to darkness" feature. You know, you enter a darker place and it slowly "brightens" as your eyes adjust...followed by some HDR as you reenter light, etc.

I'm playing Gears and this would be great for the too-dark-to-see anything areas - I'm forced to turn up the brightness globally.

2. PenguinJim

Newcomer

City of Heroes has it, after my Peacebringer transforms into Nova mode my 'eyes' (the picture) adjusts. I wondered what the hell was going on the first few times. :) Bloom-only, though, no HDR (as far as I know).

3. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I can think of a couple: HL2: Lost Coast and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Btw, HDR is used on both situations.

4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

HDR is one thing - I've seen that alot - but what about repetitive enter dark area - pitch black - slowly brightens? Never played HL2:lc, but know it had HDR

5. Kowan

Newcomer

Play an Elf. They can see in the dark. :lol:

6. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Dark elf with goblin staff in Gears of War...hmmm

7. cloudscapes

Regular

I'd also like to see that effect more. an extreme version of eye adaptation. problem is, I think many mainstream devs are too afraid of making it "confusing" or "weird" or "not holding the player by the hand enough", if that makes any sense. kidn of like how you'll rarely see mainstream movies hold a single shot in one place for more than several seconds, let alone a minute, in fear of losing the audience's attention. I think we'll be seeing art-games doing it though.

8. Jedi2016

Veteran

I've seen it quite often, but never to the extent that an area is completely pitch black or blown-out white. Take GT5 for example, when you enter the tunnel on Eiger Norwand, it's moderately dark, and gradually brightens after a second or two. When you exit the tunnel, it's the reverse, it's overly bright, and gradually darkens back to normal. In both cases, you can still see where you're going, though.

9. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I can't find a video of HL2: Lost Coast that would show the "auto-adjust exposure," but it's mentioned at Ars and Bit-Tech and described at Valve's dev wiki.

10. Sc4freak

Newcomer

Every game that has HDR already does this. HDR is more than just bloom and glowy effects, it's processing lighting in higher precision (hence, "High Dynamic Range"). With the higher precision, you can represent very bright, as well as very dark lighting scenarios at the same time. Every HDR implementation should have a stage of processing called tonemapping, which is where the exposure adjustment occurs.

Although, HDR tonemapping and the "eye adjustment" effect aren't really the same. Tonemapping is a way of bringing the HDR image down to a displayable (LDR) range - the slow delay adjustment is just to make it look good. But the effect is identical anyway - you enter a dark/bright room and it auto-adjusts the exposure of the image so that the luminance matchs the pre-defined middle-gray value.

You just tend not to notice it in a lot of games with HDR.

11. KimB

Legend

It'd be difficult to make this realistic, though. Current HDR games do it on the order of a few seconds, whereas our eyes adjust on the order of a few minutes. I don't think most gamers would be willing to wait five minutes while the eyes of their character in a game adjust to the darkness (or brightness).

12. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

But it would be far more realistic. Enter a dark-ass area in Gears of War 2 and huddle while you wait for your eyes to adjust. Maybe not 2-3 minutes but 30 seconds would be tolerable...?

13. Dave Glue

Regular

Both Half Life Episode 1 & 2 and Counterstrike Source do this.

14. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

That's crushing your gameplay...
    Maybe more like 1-3 seconds.

15. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Ah the rare Dave Glue post! Used to be 10/day in the old 3dfx usenet days.

Seriously though, I played through most of HL2 and all of HL1 and don't remember this...maybe time to reinstall HL2.

16. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

If it's a feverish FPS situation, yes. I think it would be cool to at first have to ID targets from the muzzle flash in the dark and then gradually see more. Then again, I've always thought a realistic wound/death game would be cool too - it probably wouldn't sell though.

17. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

what would be cool is playing in a pitch black room with a real HDR display so your actual eyes are adjusting. though you could burn your eyes.

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Comes though with a nice "sun" tan... :lol:

19. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

It's funny you bring that up. Every time I see someone go on and on about having a realistic FPS game I think of how un-fun it would really be. Shot once and out of commission in nearly all situations? Wouldn't be that great.

As for the eyes adjusting to darkness topic it. Some games have this but it's much quicker than what is real. It takes much longer than 2 or 3 seconds for your eyes to adjust to pitch black or even really dark. It'd take the right game and right setting to make it useful immersion wise and not harm gameplay.

20. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Maybe not Soldier of Fortune (never played it, just remember the hit zones), but did Operation Flashpoint get close?

I don't believe Valve redid HL2 to fully incorporate HDR and auto-adjust exposure, b/c those effects only arrived with the Lost Coast freebie (and subsequent games). IIRC, CS:S came with HL2 and after LC some CS:S maps were redone for HDR (Dust, for one).